Backup to Dropbox from NAS HDD?

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Muyfa666
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup to Dropbox from NAS HDD?

Post by Muyfa666 »

Right now, I have Dropbox backing up a folder on my local harddrive.

Is it possible to add things I have on the NAS?
lanimul

Re: Backup to Dropbox from NAS HDD?

Post by lanimul »

Yes, u would add the files/folders in the Dropbox directory on NAS. However with 2way sync, u would pull everything down from Dropbox to NAS and same with what u sync on ur local pc

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you mean?
gibxxi

Post by gibxxi »

Dropbox is a 2-way sync protocol. So the the files are replicated at all locations. If your looking at replicating specific shares on the NAS to Dropbox, this isn't possible. There is a 'Dropbox' folder under the admin's home folder, called just 'Dropbox'. With the Asustor-provided Dropbox app active any files copied into this folder will be synced from the NAS to your DropBox account, and again back to your PC.

You could use symbolic links to link certain folders within certain shares on the NAS, to the DropBox folder used by the ADM add-on, and have files replicated that way, that will also only require one copy of that file being present on the NAS, but this is advanced usage, and will require SSH/SFTP access to get setup. Also, the entire contents of a folder symbolically linked will be copied to Dropbox, but it should work. If you don't understand anything I've typed in this message, then this level of customization isn't for you, as it's fiddly to set up, and potentially dangerous (loss of data) if set up incorrectly.
___ GibsonXXI ___
"Si vis pacem para bellum!"

NAS1: Asustor AS5104T | NAS2: Infrant Repertoire U4 (Modified)
Hikari

Post by Hikari »

If I understood, you wanna have all your NAS data in Dropbox too, right?

gibxxi is saying that all current data in your Droobox will also be downloaded to your NAS. Well, in Windows client there's a config to set folders to not synch, IDK if Asustor client supports it.

Anyway, free Dropbox provides only 50GB, I believe you have more data in your NAS. What I mean is that Dropbox is a synch service, not a backup service. You can use it for backup of small files, taking advantage of some of its unused storage, but it's not worth for backup of huge storage.

For this sort of backup, I suggest SOS Backup Online, CrashPlan, or Amazon S3. If you don't need to synch these files with other PCs, if you just need to keep backup of them, these services are cheaper, and specialized on cloud storage backup.

Return to “DataSync for Dropbox”