CANCELED [APKG Kodi New Generation 17.0] use Kodi17 from Asustor

This version is based on the official code WITHOUT modifications (base Ubuntu 16.04)

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ludo021288
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: [APKG Kodi New Generation 17.0] from github Ubuntu 16.04

Post by ludo021288 »

Hello Philippe,

I performed some tests yesterday on your new N1 version and everything is working as it should:
- H264/H265 video playback working fine for me with HW Acceleration on (except 10 bits HEVC which run in software decoding but that's due to my CPU)
- HDMI audio passthrough working fine with my setup after configuring the proper audio output (wrongly set by default), tested with DTS & DTS HD MA audio

Thanks for your work, i'll now shift all my libraries towards Kodi 17!

Christopher
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
ludo021288 wrote:Hello Philippe,

I performed some tests yesterday on your new N1 version and everything is working as it should:
- H264/H265 video playback working fine for me with HW Acceleration on (except 10 bits HEVC which run in software decoding but that's due to my CPU)
- HDMI audio passthrough working fine with my setup after configuring the proper audio output (wrongly set by default), tested with DTS & DTS HD MA audio

Thanks for your work, i'll now shift all my libraries towards Kodi 17!

Christopher
Good news ... perhaps you can wait a little ... Asustor (as I know) works on an official kodi17 port ...
... so ask Asustor to have some delay ... to don't have to do it twice

Philippe.
NB my port is by design a stop gap (to prepare the arrival of an official better supported version) ... so the final target for this APKG is ... the trash ...
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
TheDoogy

Post by TheDoogy »

Hello Philippe,

I really like your kodi17 work. I see that a new version 17.1 has been released few days ago.
Do you think that it is possible to do again your work with this new update? If it does not take too much time, this will be great!

Best regards
Nicolas
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
TheDoogy wrote:Hello Philippe,
I see that a new version 17.1 has been released few days ago.
Do you think that it is possible to do again your work with this new update? If it does not take too much time, this will be great!
Best regards
Nicolas
In this case ... I think that internal update mechanism can work as well ...
I have just to do a verification ... but I am at 1000 kms of my Asustor for few weeks ... so please, be patient, I will test it when I can (shortly) ... this require some network build to be able to verify it ... and test from long distance ...

Philippe.
TheDoogy

Post by TheDoogy »

Hello Philippe,

Don't worry, this can wait that you come back.
Thanks to you for being also Helpful. I'll test to perform an update directly from Kodi.

Best regards
Nicolas
TheDoogy

Post by TheDoogy »

Dear Philippe,

Have you got the possibility to make more test about the last version of Kodi (17.1)?
I don't find how to update your version to 17.1.
Can you explain me how to do?

Best regards,
Nicolas
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi Nicolas,
TheDoogy wrote: I don't find how to update your version to 17.1.
Can you explain me how to do?
Nicolas
THE BEST IDEA is to WAIT for the official Kodi 17 delivery from Asustor (announced as shortly by support(refer to others topics))

I have run some test (even at 1000 kms of my lab ... ) so functional (but it's not a major change versus 17.0) and by launching some movies to see in log if all seems to run as well ... I manage the HDMI screen using x11vnc (APKG) ... so video is like a slideshow (even I can use good Internet links) and no sound)

17.1 is for now at RC (release candidate level) ... so not in the "usual" repository ... so I can try to explain you how to have the two version (but with use of only one at a time :roll: )
why because or you use the stable repository ... and you don't have 17.1RC ... or you use beta repository to use RC and other future beta ...
the problem is that in a real Ubuntu you can't have easily the two ... but as usual is not so complicated to have a solution ...

PREREQUISITE :
... aspirins for your headache at end or during ...
... know how to use a console in Ubuntu
... moderate or more skill in Ubuntu update mechanism
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED :
... get Entware APKG (to get some complete tools vs. busybox provide or missing tools) ... for ex. in some case to don't have to reboot ... just use some command in a console
OPTIONAL :
... know how a chroot works

Open a ssh console using root / your_password (not admin user)
1) disable mykodi17
... verify that all is clean in the console
grep k17 /proc/mounts (response MUST be empty)
... if not the short way is to reboot ... I can't write a full Linux guide on potential error
2) in the console, save the actual kodi and your own settings
cd /usr/local/AppCentral/mykodi17
mkdir /share/Public/kodi17_temp

... save the chroot
tar czf /share/Public/kodi17_temp/kodi17_0.tgz k17 (relatively long depend of your Asustor model)
... save .kodi folder
cd my_data/kodi17
tar czf /share/Public/kodi17_temp/settings17.0.tgz .kodi
(use as previous ANY name ... just to remember it)
3) enable mykodi17
... you can verify by the grep of step 1
4) enter in the chroot and do an update of the Ubuntu 16.04
chroot k17 /bin/bash

... update (MANDATORY because to gain space I have suppress the list of know software ... )
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
(I use dist-upgrade to have also low level libraries updated)
... ATTENTION this dist-upgrade can occasionally start new basic services not need
... so survey the output, then at end stop new services started (generally when a service is started you see a message with a GREEN word)
5) OPTIONAL but a good idea
exit (exit the chroot console to return ADM shell)
disable mykodi17
verify with grep of step 1 if all is mounted (no response)
if not AND ONLY if NOT ... reboot (easy way) or do
====== this part (optional) require to have installed lsof from Entware (opkg install lsof)
... to list the program always running in the chroot

lsof 2>/dev/null | grep k17 | grep -v netdata | tr -s " " | cut -f 1,2 -d " " | sort | uniq
... to kill the residual (if exist) ... enter line by line ... the shell build the loop for you
for i in $(lsof 2>/dev/null | grep k17 | grep -v netdata | tr -s " " | cut -f 1,2 -d " " | sort | uniq | cut -f 2 -d " ")
do
kill -9 $i
done

... this kill all residual, then now umount the residual mounted file system
umount [PATH of mount_point] ... don't forget to start by higher level to lower (ex. dev/pts before dev)
====== end of this part
if yes go to next step
6) enable again mykodi17
... enter in the chroot
chroot k17 /bin/bash

7) add the beta repository ... I don't suggest to purge the stable ppa ... because purge uninstall all software from this repository ... so lot of complementary works ...
add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
(return to accept)
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
... normally :lol: upgrade kodi17.0 to kodi17.1RC
... at end exit the chroot
exit
... now you can start the new kodi with you actual settings from Asportal

=== HOW-TO have the two version possible
in an ADM console (always root not admin)
disable mykodi17 (in a console you can use : apkg --disable mykodi17 (same as disable in AppCentral menu))
... rename actual k17
mv k17 k17.1 (tar saved k17 ... same folder name)
tar xzf /share/Public/kodi17_temp/kodi17_0.tgz (the saved kodi 17.0)
... so now k17 is the old 17.0
... enable mykodi17 and use kodi 17.0 (as previous in console : apkg --enable mykodi17 )
same to switch (mv k17 k17.0 ; mv k17.1 k17) or create a link name k17 linked to one of the k17.0 or k17.1 ... play as you prefer)

step 1 to 6 can be use to update kodi17 or Ubuntu 16.04 library EVEN without installing kodi 17.1 (new library, bugs or security solved, update of kodi 17 when 17.1 move to stable, update some binary compiled kodi extension, put your own tools (but in this case take attention to chroot rules (share kernel, modules and network (same I.P. and same port table)

Philippe.
father.mande

Re: CANCELED [APKG Kodi New Generation 17.0] use Kodi17 from Asustor

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Please uninstall this APKG and use Official Kodi17.0 from Asustor (App. Central Beta)

Philippe.
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

father.mande wrote:Hi,

Please uninstall this APKG and use Official Kodi17.0 from Asustor (App. Central Beta)

Philippe.
it s sad
because the version on App Central is Kodi 17.0 and you re able to do Kodi 17.1
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
damien599901 wrote: it s sad
because the version on App Central is Kodi 17.0 and you re able to do Kodi 17.1
Not sad :lol: :lol: only logic for the best services to user ...
I do the same on another NAS brand when official version had been out ... even if not cover all the possibility cover by mine ...

I can't have the professional approach than Asustor have
I can't get support as a helpdesk team with all knowledge on internal (Asportal, Xorg, etc.) can do for users

creating an APKG is not so difficult ... but provide a version with limited bugs and with job to do the best in term of tests, usage, verification is less easy ... other provider of APKG work as a factory ... I am only a small craftsman ... with limited hardware (so without real possibility to test fresh install each time) and knowledge ...

At end F.Y.I. Kodi is easy to build if you don't try to generate it as for a private software ... trusting standard is the best way to reduce works, maintains know version and obtains help from ANY sources ... (but as any advice put it in your pocket and forget it ... )

Philippe.

Return to “Mykodi17”