CANCELED [APKG Kodi New Generation 17.0] use Kodi17 from Asustor

This version is based on the official code WITHOUT modifications (base Ubuntu 16.04)

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: [APKG Kodi 17.0] 100% original code

Post by father.mande »

Hi ludo021288 ,

Due to the incoherence of some libraries ... I ave decide to restart on a totally different approach ...

So this add a short delay for a new delivery ... BUT my first test ... seems to solve the H264 problem (no image after a green blink ... and the error in va-api kodi log ... )
I have also tested that sound seems correct (including pass-through DTS and Dolby)

I am not sure (totally different approach) that we can use the new version as an update keeping your settings ... But (T.B.C.)

Changing all structure ... is not so easy, so please be patient ... I target to deliver an alpha version (of the APKG not of Kodi17) tomorrow or Monday (French hours)

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
ludo021288

Post by ludo021288 »

Hi Philippe

That's great news! Thanks for the hard work l am sure it must not be so easy to solve the issue. Anyway I'll test your alpha apkg anytime no need to keep the settings if it's easier without it :-)

Bye.

Christopher
TheDoogy

Post by TheDoogy »

Dear Philippe,

First of all, let me say you a big thank for the quality of your job. I currently have the same problem as ludo021288 about black screen when I try to use the hardware decoder on an AS6204T with ADM 2.6 (personally I've no green flash screen before becoming black).

I've one more question: does version 17 of kodi will be able to decode in hardware mode any H265 encoded videos, and so, be able to play smoothly a 4K mkv video?
I've tried to read several 4K video (between 50 and 70Go) with kodi 16 but unsuccessfully. It switches to software decoder mode and I've not more than 2 or 3 fps.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
TheDoogy wrote:Dear Philippe,
I currently have the same problem as ludo021288 about black screen when I try to use the hardware decoder on an AS6204T with ADM 2.6 (personally I've no green flash screen before becoming black).

I've one more question: does version 17 of kodi will be able to decode in hardware mode any H265 encoded videos, and so, be able to play smoothly a 4K mkv video?
I've tried to read several 4K video (between 50 and 70Go) with kodi 16 but unsuccessfully. It switches to software decoder mode and I've not more than 2 or 3 fps.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards
First .. as explain ... I rewrite totally the APKG (it come soon (in fact when I have finish to write response to you ... :roll: :lol: ))
The new version is not only 100% kodi code it's also now 100% Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 compliant (including addons and possibility to add your preferred code (even needing python modules or what else)

This version solve the Hardware Acceleration error ... so permit to run ALL videos supported by the I.G.P. (Intel integrated graphics)
I have also run some HEVC (H265) videos ... seems on the model I have (AS5002T) no decoding is done ... so the result seem correct but limited (ex. 720HD/5.1 AAC movie) with 70% CPU
But if your model include an IGP with hardware video acceleration for h265 ... the software is supposed to be able to use it ... best is test and look at the log.

A good idea to know if your IGP is able to decoding ... list the VA profile : (it's Asustor that provide this ... not me ... I only (try) to use it) :
How-to :
open a ssh console
cd /usr/local/AppCentral/xorg/usr
then do :
export DISPLAY=:0
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./bin/vainfo

response on my AS5002T is : ... you can see that no H265 profile supported ... by this model ...

Code: Select all

root@AS5002TaPhil:/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/xorg/usr # LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./bin/vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/AppCentral/xorg/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Bay Trail - 1.7.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
root@AS5002TaPhil:/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/xorg/usr #
Philippe.
father.mande

Re: [APKG Kodi New Generation 17.0] from github Ubuntu 16.04

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Please find a new version TOTALLY rewritten of Kodi 17.0

Update from previous kodi17 is possible (but do a save if your settings are important for you)
This include a minimal Ubuntu 16.04 ... so if you want to do large modifications (add Python libraries, addons, gcc, etc... all is possible using the apt package management)
If you want to be only a "user" this is totally hidden for you ...
The total size is less than previous version ...
I will write a detailed post for modders ...
Internal update is available (if you add your own software ... so nothing lost and you can update to 17.1 etc. without reinstall kodi17 APKG .

Please return your experience ... so I will have a chance to solve some problems (perhaps)
This version will be removed when Asustor get out its own ...
Please read the first post and find download link in .

Philippe.
TheDoogy

Post by TheDoogy »

Hi Philippe,

Good Job. This version works as well as the previous one!
Just below, is my console output thanks to your instructions.

There is one thing that I've not understood. AS6204T is done for 4K compatibility as described in the Asustor product page.
"Format supporté moteur accélération matérielle: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-2, VC-1"

How is it possible without management of HEVC/H265 hardware decoding? Is a driver missing in the kernel of ADM 2.6?

Best regards and thanks a lot for your help
Nicolas

libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/AppCentral/xorg/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) CherryView - 1.7.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointEncPicture
VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

It's always a BETA ... perhaps I have do some error (not in Kodi itself but in the APKG part) ... so do,'t hesitate to report all .. to see if it's kodi part or APKG part or Xorg / driver Asustor part

As I see in your output you have the Main HEVC hardware decoding profile
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
... so the H265 can be accelerated for Main function ... (decoding) it's the normal output from Intel documentation)

In case your IGP is able to accelerate encoding also (need libraries and software using this libs)
you can have one more line
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointEncSlice
(encoding)

This line (the first) is enough to said YES HEVC/H265 is hardware decoded ... (if software use it)
The resolution supported (4K) is not managed by VA ... it's by Xorg ... so use xrandr to verify that the correct resolution and rate is used ...
... use same command ... replace vainfo by xrandr

... so you can have 4K with different codec (not only H265/HEVC ... even the more current for reduce the final size ... ) search on google to get H264 / 4K samples for ex.

Philippe.
TheDoogy

Post by TheDoogy »

Hi,

Thank for new information. I'll check that as soon as I go back at home.
I'm not sure that my previous post has worked, so I publish it one more time.

Just to precise my previous post, when I say, that this new version works as well as the previous one, I'm talking about Kodi 16.
So, to conclude, all seems to be perfect:
- all videos read by Kodi 16 are correctly played by this new version (except H265 videos). No saccade ;
- pass-through sound work well ;
- no instability found ;

I'm just a little bit disappointed. AS6204T is done to be hardware compliant with H265, and I hoped that the Kodi 17 would be capable to use it compared to Kodi 16.
I bought this version of the NAS for its H265 hardware capabilities, and until now, I've not been able to read any H265 encoded videos... :S
I've correctly understood that 4K videos can be encoded in H264, but all my 4K videos are encoded in H265...

So I'll be patient and cross my fingers for that you found a solution to activate this feature. You seem to be really talented

Excuse my "French" English...
Thank a lot for your time.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
TheDoogy wrote:Hi,
I'm just a little bit disappointed. AS6204T is done to be hardware compliant with H265, and I hoped that the Kodi 17 would be capable to use it compared to Kodi 16.
I bought this version of the NAS for its H265 hardware capabilities, and until now, I've not been able to read any H265 encoded videos... :S
I've correctly understood that 4K videos can be encoded in H264, but all my 4K videos are encoded in H265...
So I'll be patient and cross my fingers for that you found a solution to activate this feature. You seem to be really talented
Excuse my "French" English...
Thank a lot for your time.
Can you provide a kodi.log with a test of H265 video ...
... my AS5002T is not able to use hardware acceleration for HEVC video file ... but can play (some of them using the ffmpeg decoder)
... so I can't test myself ...

Asustor also can help you to know the supported 4K ... some I.G.P. support ONLY some frequency ex. 4K - 24 Hz and NOT 30, 50 or 60 Hz ... or 30 and not etc. etc.
... and some TV also are limited ... so you must have to check that are the TV 4K supported mode, what is the IGP (only Asustor, perhaps on Intel site if you can write here the exact CPU model use in your NAS) know it and its capacity ... then
sometimes using xrandrd you can select / set a specific mode as default (before starting Kodi) to resolve problems (generally refresh rate) Xorg try to use the best it can ... that it's not always the best for Kodi on some movies ... )

Another big point is the main profile supported by your hardware ...
ex.
Intel Skylake, Braswell support only 8 bits (Main8 profile for encoding / decoding)
Intel Laby Lake support 10 bits (Main10)
etc. etc. ... so a 10 bits encoded can't be play as is and need a trans-code ...

At end cable and HDMI plug module can have effect ...
ex. 4K Blu-ray and Netflix introduce 4K HDR that require an HDMI 2.0a

So as I know (but I am limited) it's not really simple to just put a video and play ...

Philippe.
Last edited by father.mande on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoogy

Post by TheDoogy »

Hi Philippe,

Good remarks. After doing some investigations, the processor (intel Celeron N3150 Brashwell) is not able to decode videos in HEVC 10bits, but only 8bits and all my HEVC videos have been encoded in 10bits!
Thanks for all.

Best regards
Nicolas

Return to “Mykodi17”