Locating Resilio Files

Sync uses peer-to-peer technology to provide fast, private file sharing for teams and individuals. By skipping the cloud, transfers can be significantly faster because files take the shortest path between devices. Sync does not store your information on servers in the cloud, avoiding cloud privacy concerns. Install Sync on a NAS device to automatically keep all your folders in Sync continuously available through your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

acumenprobitas
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Locating Resilio Files

Post by acumenprobitas »

I added a read-only secret to Resilio on the NAS to test it out, and pointed it to /volume1/Resilio/Pictures

This feels like a stupid question, but... where is this folder? I don't see it through Windows or through the File Explorer in the web interface.

Any help would be appreciated.
MikeG.6.5

Re: Locating Resilio Files

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You won't see it without using WinSCP to log into the NAS via SSH.

This is one of the files/folders the OS hides from the user. The only way to access it is through SSH logging in with the root user and your admin password. There is no other way to access the folder.
acumenprobitas

Post by acumenprobitas »

Is there a folder I can save it to so that I can access through Windows?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Short answer: No, those files are hidden by the OS on the NAS. If you move them it will affect the app starting and you can't access it at all.

Even shorter answer: WinSCP runs on Windows.

I'm assuming you want to access the files through a mapped network drive based on your question. You may be able to share the folder out, but I wouldn't advise it. The entire stability of the NAS relies on you knowing what you are doing and making a concentrated effort to do it. Mapping a drive to these folders (by sharing it out) heightens the chance of something happening to that data the apps use to start. Most of the time these files are ones you don't want to mess with. (There are a few exceptions, but very few!)

Get WinSCP. It's a life saver in more ways than one. It's free!
acumenprobitas

Post by acumenprobitas »

I don't care about having a mapped drive, I just want to be able to access the files in the event of a data loss, because I pretty much only use Resilio for backups. I exchange space with family members so we are each other's off-site backup.

So I'm trying to connect with WinSCP, but the NAS is refusing to connect using SFTP over port 2222 (per NAS settings). Do I have to use FTP instead?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I use SFTP to connect to my NAS on the port I have forwarded to the NAS through my router. (Which I am not going to tell anyone, since that's the reason it's not the default port...) :)

It took me a bit of playing around with the settings on the NAS and on the PC (WinSCP) to get this working correctly for my own needs.

What errors are you seeing on either the NAS or on the PC? (Or both?)

Check out this post about some issues I had setting everything up way back when: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6881
acumenprobitas

Post by acumenprobitas »

I read about how to enable SSH and was successfully able to find my Resilio ASUSTOR app files in WinSCP.

Another method I'm experimenting with is using the Resilio Windows software to backup to the NAS. Is there a downside to doing it this way? I like the convenience of seeing all the files in the Windows File Explorer.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

There is one potential downside to the convenience: if you get infected by malware, the malware will be able to encrypt your backup. Automatically sync the encrypted data to offsite and your data is all gone. Call me paranoid, but I have 5 copies of my important data (laptop, NAS, external USB, cloud, offsite disk). Some are online, some are offline and I manually sync the data (as it doesn't change much).

At work we use a special account to access the backup data which isn't used otherwise to prevent malware from accessing backup data.

I have heard enough stories where people have lost ALL off their photographs/videos/data to failing disks / ransomware and I personally would like to prevent that.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656

Return to “Resilio Sync”