Version maintenance of Nextcloud app?

Nextcloud is an open source, self-hosted file sync and share and communication app platform. Access & sync your files, contacts, calendars & communicate and collaborate across your devices. You decide what happens with your data, where it is and who can access it!
fwhamm
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Version maintenance of Nextcloud app?

Post by fwhamm »

I'm running Owncloud 8.22 app on my Asustor. This app wasn't updated for a long time. Recently I suddenly recognized there is a version 9 in the marketplace. Now (since almost 3 months) there is Nextcloud 10.0.0. (10.0.2 is the current version.

I consider moving to Nextcloud 10 but befor doing so I would like to know if the app will be updated (at least when a new major version is availabel) or if I have to deinstall the "old" app and to install the new app (for the new version).

What will be the updating path vor Nextcloud: New app for new Nextcloud version or updated Nextcloud app?

Does anybody know?
Web: @fwhamm, About
Storage: AS-6202T, AS-302T
run4all

Re: Version maintenance of Nextcloud app?

Post by run4all »

There is some version upgrade infor on the nextcloud website but I don't know how that relates to your versions on the NAS.
__
If you have to apologise, don't forget to change your behaviour to prevent it happening again.
sksbir

Re: Version maintenance of Nextcloud app?

Post by sksbir »

even if you are running owncloud on a dedicated VM like I did on fedora, it's really difficult to migrate to nextcloud : you have to upgrade owncloud to v9, then upgrade to nextcloud v9, and then upgrade nextcloud. I stopped to OC V9.

On NAS, I highly suppose that owncloud and nextcloud are two differents app, with different storage location, and different database scheme. This is the only way to have both app working at the same time on the NAS.

I think that you have no chances to migrate your datas from owncloud to nextcloud inside the NAS. See what's happens to me : [SOLVED] upgrade owncloud 803-->822 : OC configuration & data vanished. And this was supposed to be far more easy that OC--->NC

I decided to definitively stop my owncloud server 2 months ago : using webdav service directly from NAS is more efficient, and reverting contacts and calendars events to google/gmail :
I'm sad to say that, but contact integration with android and Davdroid is a shame : loosing images of my contacts, integration is just basic. No chances to associate a custom LED colour with LG G2 nor LG G4 ( fields are greyed out if contact is sourced from davdroid, or carddav ), slide panel under Galaxy S7 just does not works with contacts provided by davdroid : putting a contact on slide panel has favorite has no effect : the slot is empty at next slide panel invocation. Everything works well with contacts hosted on gmail account.

The story owncloud/nextcloud was the straw that broke the camel's

Return to “Nextcloud”