nextcloud - in a VM or docker container?

Nextcloud is an open source, self-hosted file sync and share and communication app platform. Access & sync your files, contacts, calendars & communicate and collaborate across your devices. You decide what happens with your data, where it is and who can access it!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

jauling
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

nextcloud - in a VM or docker container?

Post by jauling »

Hi,

I've decommissioned my old Nextcloud instance, that I installed using App Central ages ago. There seemed to be no viable method to upgrade Nextcloud to the latest and greatest, so I basically abandoned it. I think it's mostly due to the PHP 7.x requirement, which ADM definitely could not fulfill.

I'm now looking to revisit Nextcloud, since I see a lot of new features and improvements in the latest version. I see there are multiple methods to deploy Nextcould on my AS5104T, but I'm hoping to get some feedback. So far, I see these couple of methods to deploy Docker on an Asustor NAS:
Maybe there's other methods? I think the most manageable and least hassle might be just a Linux VM running Nextcloud in Virtualbox. Obvious issue would be the virtualization overhead, as well as reserving a bunch of RAM for the VM and Nextcloud. The Docker container releases are interesting, but I really don't know which are better or worse or how to decide that...

Any help would be appreciated!
Nazar78

Re: nextcloud - in a VM or docker container?

Post by Nazar78 »

Forget VM, too much overhead for the NAS and no guarantee in speed. Just go ahead with docker it's simpler. You can also customize run in chroot (I prefer this) or LXC but docker probably easier to setup.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
jauling

Post by jauling »

Nazar78 wrote:Forget VM, too much overhead for the NAS and no guarantee in speed. Just go ahead with docker it's simpler. You can also customize run in chroot (I prefer this) or LXC but docker probably easier to setup.
Thanks for the reply! I already run a 2GB virtualbox VM on my AS5104T (which I've upgraded to 8GB RAM), so I really didn't want to "lose" more and dedicate a bunch to just Nextcloud. Also, the performance hit did make me think twice. Thanks for your thoughts! I have quite a bit of experience with virtualization, but not much with Docker, which is one of the reasons I've avoided it. I'll do my research and go that route; sounds like the most viable. Thanks again.

Are you running the Docker container provided by Asustor in App Central, or the one from github?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No problem. Docker might look complicated at first, been there done that, but as you start to get familiar it's a breeze.

All my containers are manually installed and configured from the cmd line so I can customize them. Despite this, I only use containers if I need to control the amount of resources allocated to the app i.e. to use only 20% of the total CPU usage as you would normally do in a VM execution cap minus the overhead. They are also running in the lowest nice priority and idle I/O schedule. The rest of the app I would run in chroot.

As for a start, you can use the containers provided by Asustor or other maintainers from the App Central. They are also pulling images externally e.g. "docker pull nextcloud:latest". On top of that it's also doing all the container setup for you. As you progress, you can use portainer, sort of GUI for docker, then maybe start learning the cmd lines then further down implement auto update images using watchtower and such.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Nextcloud”