Short guide for Syncthing after testing

Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.

Note:
Syncthing will use the port 8384 for GUI management, and port 22000 for Sync protocol.
Please make sure to open the port forwarding via the ADM\Ease of Access\EZ router.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dididongdong
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Short guide for Syncthing after testing

Post by dididongdong »

Hi, found new app released along with ADM 2.6.

Syncthing is an app for data backup and Sync. Thought it should be useful for sync data between NASes. (I have one at home and office :D )

Below are the simple steps I did. (All steps must do on each NAS.) Sharing with forum members.

1. Install the app "Syncthing" from App Central (of course, everyone knows...)

2. The app icon will appear on ADM desktop.

3. Click the icon and jump to Syncthing page.

4. There are Language, Help and Actions
syncthing1.jpg
syncthing1.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 6074 times

5. You could get your NAS ID from "Show ID", do the same steps form 1~5 on your remote NAS.

6. Click on "Add remote device"
syncthing2-1.jpg
syncthing2-1.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
7. Paste the ID of your remote device. They will start communicating.
syncthing3.jpg
syncthing3.jpg (86.5 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
8. Once success, the device will be listed.
syncthing2.jpg
syncthing2.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
The default folder called "Syncthing" under Volume 1, this folder is created once installed the app. Now you can start adding files to this folder via File Explorer or SAMBA.
syncthing4.jpg
syncthing4.jpg (118.17 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
Now, ready for syncing your data? Not yet! still need to do some more on port forwarding....

You could see the port info from app via App Central.
syncthing5.jpg
syncthing5.jpg (135.13 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
Please make sure to open the port forwarding via the ADM\Ease of Access\EZ router.

To open the port, you may refer to the doc. Cloud Connect and EZ-router. (ASUSTOR College lesson NAS221) doc here: http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... onnect.pdf

If you already have the Cloud Connect and EZ-router activated, you can add port from ADM, Setting --> Ease of Access
syncthing6.jpg
syncthing6.jpg (173.82 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
Below is port added successfully.
syncthing7.jpg
syncthing7.jpg (143.52 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
OK~ now you can sync data from one NAS to another.
I simply got 2 same copies now! Nice app! :D :D :D

You may try to add another folder ... but I didn't try. :mrgreen:
Anyone try it, kindly share ~~ Thank you!
father.mande

Re: Short guide for Syncthing after testing

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

NICE guide ... :D :D

Just some addition ... to add temptation to use it ... :
... Upnp is manageable INTERNALLY to Syncthing (configuration menu) ... so no need to redirect through EZ-Router port 22000 (except if your router don't accept Upnp ... )
... redirecting the GUI port is not the best ... or be sure to add HTTPS and user/password authentification ...
... ... but the good question is : do you need to administrate Syncthing out of your local place if yes ... things also to SSH tunnel to reduce the know port open in your router.
... F.Y.I. when you select "automatic" for the address of a machine ... this imply you use
... ... for LAN : (check local search in configuration) ... so it's always private
... ... for external to your own private network ... that you use "global research" ... so that you system "announce" to the Syncthing relay server ... your name ... it's NOT dangerous ... because the ID stay private ... but it's less secure than using direct definition of the target ... so you have to check your own request
... any folder can be synchronized with others ... not only default ... in fact you can create any "group" of system sharing the same or different or multiple folders ..
... ... the only point is to get attention to ressources use when you have lot of nodes and share ...
... another parameter is important ... it's the scan interval for change ... 60sec. is good in lot of case ... but for some specific share a smaller value can be used (even overhead generated)
last.
... Master folder is a good choice if your first usage is a backup or diffusion ... Master indicate that the folder shared is not changed even modification is done in the copy ... Syncthing is a double way synchronisation tool ... it's important to avoid some file deleted ... when you don't want ... because a synchronized node have deleted the data ...
... .... Master is also good for "professional" ... for ex. to synchronize with all client a list of product or price ... without risk for the original document ...

I have some knowledge in Syncthing (even limited) ... because I do the port of it on another NAS brand ... from long time (August 2014) ... and don't do it here because ... I think it's already done :roll: ... and from short time due to the fact that when I propose to do it ... Asustor is already ready to offer it as an official APKG ... and I never keep or create an already existing package ...

Last note :
For professionals users ... you must know that some "companion" tools exist
... one is inotify-syncthing ... that replace the scan based on interval to scan based on file and folder modification (need a real administrator)
... others are :
... ... discovery-server and relay-server ... to play in your own network as a name / id server for your own client
... ... client : Syncthing-cli for using Syncthing in bash or console or Synthing-GTK a graphic interface for Xserver
etc.

Many thanks to have spent time to a so clear and understandable tutorial. :D
Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Syncthing”