Syncthing !

Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.

Note:
Syncthing will use the port 8384 for GUI management, and port 22000 for Sync protocol.
Please make sure to open the port forwarding via the ADM\Ease of Access\EZ router.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

liefde
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Syncthing !

Post by liefde »

OK, after trying Seafile and many others like owncloud and btsync, I came back to syncthing.
It's by far the best one regarding syncing between more than 2 devices (and 1 server), best config, best options, fair use of resources, no accidental deletions, syncs really fast compared to others, works well on android too, and does deltas! And with the latest releases you can keep the sync-conflict files to a minimum. Versioning as deep as you want, per machine.

I still have to get it to run twice, for 2 separate users on my asustor NAS, but on a synology nas this is already working.

So there are some issues with permissions, it should not have too many on the nas, and with the use of ports and databases, yet it needs to start at boot for all users on the nas, which is crucial for mobile syncing and such.
I still run unison and rsync too, but that's all manual and a bit of a nerdy drag and not for the cloud-sync demands of today.

We're really close with this syncthing. the clients are superb by now.

Still don't understand why asustor does not pick up on including this themselves, it's the absolute winner among the ones I've tried!
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

I'd love to help, but this multi-user situation increases the complexity by a lot! First problem is that you can't really register ports on ADM after the app has been installed, which means there is no way to tell other applications that ports might be conflicting. The other is preallocating ports, only N-users could be supported, N being how many ports are preallocated. The last option is to let the user manage all ports themselves, but then that might causes issues with other applications.

Also, to support multi-user mode, some kind of configuration tool needs to be built. If it's supported I don't feel it's right to expect the user to perform manual configuration from the command-line. But even if that wasn't the case, some kind of script to automate the process would definitely be required. All that is extra development time as well.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
liefde

Post by liefde »

Yes, the best option is to have syncthing offer multi-user themselves. I don't understand why they didn't already, to be honest. Seems really simple. You just base the database-foldernames and web-UI on which user logs in, and you can have each user pick his/her own home folders to sync.
gibxxi

Post by gibxxi »

I'd very very interested in this too. I have a desktop with a large 6TB drive that is my 'working drive'. Various elements of which are then synced to my 3 (three) NAS devices. 1 x QNAP TS453-Pro, 1x Asustor AS5104T, and one ReadyNAS Repertoire/Ultra 4 (Mod). The QNAP and the ReadyNAS both have community-driven Syncthing add-ons, the Asustor currently doesn't. I am currently using a combination of QSync (for the QNAP) and DeltaCopy for the other two. Would love to be able to step down to one sync app for all 3.

:cry:
___ GibsonXXI ___
"Si vis pacem para bellum!"

NAS1: Asustor AS5104T | NAS2: Infrant Repertoire U4 (Modified)
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

Solved - app in app central
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
liefde

Post by liefde »

Seems fine, but it still doesn't separate users, doesn't give each user his/her own sharing/syncing environment. Which blows, honestly. Even OpenMediaVault offers this to its users, and there they coded it for free.

Return to “Syncthing”