[Unofficial] rTorrent (pre-release)

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

mafredri
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[Unofficial] rTorrent (pre-release)

Post by mafredri »

Hi,

I thought I'd let you know that I've built and packaged up rTorrent for ADM!

This is currently a pre-release build and I do not promise a smooth upgrade-path just yet. Currently I'm using dtach to run rTorrent as a service, and allowing the user to attach to the terminal. In future I'm planning on switching dtach to tmux and include GoTTY which will allow you to use rTorrent (the terminal application) through the web-browser as well! The reason I'd switch dtach to tmux is to allow rTorrent to be viewed from multiple clients simultaneously and resize to fit the smallest one.

Here's a screenshot to see what you can expect from rTorrent running in the browser and the terminal simultaneously.

I've included short instructions on the project page, feel free to check it out if you're interested.

Project page is on GitHub
Releases can be found here
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
fly high

Re: [Unofficial] rTorrent (pre-release)

Post by fly high »

any plans of making it work like a regular app like deluge and transmission
so you dont have to use SSH to try it out :?:
AS-6204t 16 Gb
AS-604T 3 GB
AS 5104T 8GB
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

fly high wrote:any plans of making it work like a regular app like deluge and transmission
so you dont have to use SSH to try it out :?:
Like I stated in my post above, the idea is to provide a way of sharing the rTorrent terminal interface to the browser. But rTorrent is a bit of a problematic application since it is for advanced users, the default configuration I have provided can work for some, but for most they will need to know how to modify the configuration file manually (this involves ssh and working through the terminal).

Also, once that is done the idea is to release ruTorrent as a separate application to provide a nicer graphical interface for rTorrent. The thing with ruTorrent (and why I did not already make it the default) is that you cannot configure rTorrent through it. Manual modification of the configuration is necessary.

So far I have not been working on rTorrent since I released this pre-release version, I don't use it myself and so-far there hasn't been much interest. What would you like to see from this app?
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
fly high

Post by fly high »

mafredri wrote: So far I have not been working on rTorrent since I released this pre-release version, I don't use it myself and so-far there hasn't been much interest. What would you like to see from this app?
I believe some of the low interest part can be attributed to people dont knowing what to do with it
most of us get a Nas fore it to be simple
I tried it myself but really did not now what to do after starting it in ssh

I ques my ideal would be rutorrent

i have tried utorrent qBittorrent.deluge
but they feel like light versions compared to the PC version
and some features on the Asustor version do not work ore are missing

I am only using Transmission now
as it works best fore me of the available clients

I will get a new Nas soon as I am running out of space
and it will probably be a Synolygy as it would be fun to try something new
they seam to have rutorrent up and running there
https://synocommunity.com/package/rutorrent
AS-6204t 16 Gb
AS-604T 3 GB
AS 5104T 8GB
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

fly high wrote:I believe some of the low interest part can be attributed to people dont knowing what to do with it
most of us get a Nas fore it to be simple
I tried it myself but really did not now what to do after starting it in ssh

I ques my ideal would be rutorrent
That's still only enough to get people trying it out. To really used it I believe it is necessary to learn the configuration. This is a program where many settings can't just be modified and toggled through an interface. All the settings modifications that ruTorrent support, for example, are lost when rTorrent is restarted. And that's really frustrating for the users, and there's really nothing I can do to help in that department except provide tutorage. But my time is limited and I'm not really even suited for that since I don't even use rTorrent or ruTorrent myself.
fly high wrote: i have tried utorrent qBittorrent.deluge
but they feel like light versions compared to the PC version
and some features on the Asustor version do not work ore are missing
I'm the maintainer of these applications (qBittorrent, Deluge) and I'm almost 100% sure there are no features missing from Deluge, would you care to enlighten me? If you did not know already, it is fully possible to use the desktop graphical UI to connect to the deluge daemon running on the NAS.

Regarding qBittorrent, are you saying it is lacking in regards to the desktop gui version or that just the Web-UI is lacking? There's no question that some fancy features are missing in the Web-UI (e.g. rss feeds) but there is nothing to be done about that, they just haven't implemented them in the Web-UI.
fly high wrote: I am only using Transmission now
as it works best fore me of the available clients
Transmission doesn't really have any more features than qBittorrent, and Deluge definitely has more features than Transmission.
fly high wrote: I will get a new Nas soon as I am running out of space and it will probably be a Synolygy as it would be fun to try something new they seam to have rutorrent up and running there https://synocommunity.com/package/rutorrent
It's fully possible to run ruTorrent on an Asustor NAS as well, I just haven't gotten aroudn to it yet. And seeing that you are considering Synology doesn't quite help with motivation to do it either :P. So until there is more demand / interest I will not likely be working on that part.
fly high

Post by fly high »

mafredri wrote:
Transmission doesn't really have any more features than qBittorrent, and Deluge definitely has more features than Transmission.
mafredri wrote:
It's fully possible to run ruTorrent on an Asustor NAS as well, I just haven't gotten aroudn to it yet. And seeing that you are considering Synology doesn't quite help with motivation to do it either :P. So until there is more demand / interest I will not likely be working on that part.
[/quote]

I disregarded both deluge and qBittorent pretty fast as they had trouble handle more than a couple of hundred torrent
I am currently running over 4000 torrents in transmission and it is still stable

I have had over 1000 torrent in deluge PC and over 3000 torrents in qBittorent PC
and the PC version of the clients handled it fine

regarding lack of motivation fore creating a ruTorrent version

I have had asustor nases around 2,5 years now
and in that time I have gotten 3 of them( 602t 604t 5104T )
so if you ore nobody ells have gotten around to create a asustor ruTorrent version in that time
what to say it ever will be done

both Qnap and Synology have had the ruTorrent app working fore a long time
so getting one of them seams pretty logical to me
AS-6204t 16 Gb
AS-604T 3 GB
AS 5104T 8GB
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

fly high wrote:I disregarded both deluge and qBittorent pretty fast as they had trouble handle more than a couple of hundred torrent
I am currently running over 4000 torrents in transmission and it is still stable
Admittedly I have never had 4000 torrents in any client, but there have been no problems with Deluge handling over 500 torrents on my NAS.
fly high wrote: regarding lack of motivation fore creating a ruTorrent version

so if you ore nobody ells have gotten around to create a asustor ruTorrent version in that time
Did you look at the release date of this thread? I released the rTorrent pre-release on Nov 01, 2015. So from this point on there has been an rTorrent client (but no interest before you). Also, have you searched through these forums? There has not been a lot of interest in rTorrent in the past, so you can't really expect there to have been any efforts to port rTorrent and ruTorrent to Asustor. (rTorrent is anyway the "hard" part, ruTorrent is the easy part).
fly high wrote: both Qnap and Synology have had the ruTorrent app working fore a long time
If you took a closer look at Synology and QNAP support for rTorrent/ruTorrent you would find that it's not officially supported on these platforms. In both cases it is community effort that has brought the apps to the platform. Either way you're going to have to follow tutorials to get it working on those platforms as well.
yogibogs

Post by yogibogs »

mafredri wrote:
fly high wrote:I disregarded both deluge and qBittorent pretty fast as they had trouble handle more than a couple of hundred torrent
Admittedly I have never had 4000 torrents in any client, but there have been no problems with Deluge handling over 500 torrents on my NAS.
fly high wrote: regarding lack of motivation fore creating a ruTorrent version

Did you look at the release date of this thread? I released the rTorrent pre-release on Nov 01, 2015. So from this point on there has been an rTorrent client (but no interest before you). Also, have you searched through these forums? There has not been a lot of interest in rTorrent in the past, so you can't really expect there to have been any efforts to port rTorrent and ruTorrent to Asustor. (rTorrent is anyway the "hard" part, ruTorrent is the easy part).
fly high wrote: both Qnap and Synology have had the ruTorrent app working fore a long time
If you took a closer look at Synology and QNAP support for rTorrent/ruTorrent you would find that it's not officially supported on these platforms. In both cases it is community effort that has brought the apps to the platform. Either way you're going to have to follow tutorials to get it working on those platforms as well.
+1 for rutorrent! Im having such headaches with transmission :( (slow to connect to trackers & slow upload speeds) running my synology with identical settings so it's not a settings issue. Would love to get rutorrent working on the Asustor.
tango

Post by tango »

+1 for rutorrent!
I've installed rtorrent unofficial now, is it possible to install novik's rutorrent with your asustor rtorrent version?
Thanks for all your good work, mafredi!
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

tango wrote:+1 for rutorrent!
I've installed rtorrent unofficial now, is it possible to install novik's rutorrent with your asustor rtorrent version?
Thanks for all your good work, mafredi!
You're welcome, tango! And you definitely should be able to, all you need to do is enable xmlrpc by adding this to the config to allow rTorrent to communicate with ruTorrent:

Code: Select all

# Required for XMLRPC
scgi_port = localhost:5000
Of course you still need to make sure ruTorrent has all the dependencies it needs (not sure if there are any, haven't looked into setting it up yet).

Return to “Rtorrent”