Coouple of things. (HX-Engine related)

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Coouple of things. (HX-Engine related)

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

When I speak about chroot ... it's just to be sure that the context is understandable ...
A chroot is a sort of jail ... that use resources (kernel, kernel modules, network) from the host (the ADM firmware) BUT all the other part are in a specific structure ... when you "enter" in a chroot you change the "root" file system ( / in Linux) to another point ...
so it's like you have 2 structures ... one / use by ADM one / (/share/local/AppCentral/hx-engine/my_asustor) use by hx-engine

You are true when you said ... executing a command in the chroot can be executed in a windows of the HDMI screen ... but is something goes wrong ... its' also possible to run it using the chroot command provide by ADM ...

The problem, I can see, in your status trace (and YES again you are true no need to have a mount it's inside and displayed when hx_manage status works ... BUT in case something goes wrong ... the mount "point of view" from ADM can help ) ... are
After reading ... your hx_manage status ... I am in trouble because it seem that xfce4 (the desktop manager) started through xfce4-session ... is started TWICE ?????? not "normal" ...

so can you test :
open a ssh (winscp) console as usual (root / your_password)
then kill the desktop :
hx_manage close_desktop
then kill all residual program started by astuser
hx_manage kill_all
do
hx_manage status to be sure that
NO lines are displayed after :
"====== list of program running or empty is all if stopped" if not try to kill_all again ...
then start desktop again
hx_manage start_desktop
... don,'t be afraid by message (warning and some error ... due to the fact I don't test if I have already "hide" the xterm launch by Asustor xorg to keep it active

... normally an hx_manage status list ONLY one :
/bin/bash /etc/ASUSTOR/bin/start_xfce.sh
and one :
/usr/bin/xfce4-session

Really THANKS to helping us ... your are courageous to try first this kind of complex software ... so lot of thanks ...
For Your Information ... it's multiple week of work and dozens (more perhaps) script in all part to try to run it ... so again ... thanks.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

father.mande wrote:Hi,

You are true when you said ... executing a command in the chroot can be executed in a windows of the HDMI screen ... but is something goes wrong ... its' also possible to run it using the chroot command provide by ADM ...
hehe, I know this sounds stupid, but how do I do a chroot within the ADM? Is that a WinSCP terminal app that needs to be executed? Is this making a VM of some sort on the NAS? I'm really not sure of what is going on here at all, so a really meat and potatoes type of explanation might be in order. Looking it up it appears as though it changes the root folder structure of an app so that it's not accessing the entire drive as root, but pointing to the folder you set up. Is that correct?

I'll tell you the biggest reason I'm trying this out, to be honest with you. I hope to be able to use this app to allow me to install Calibre and FileBot on the NAS. And be able to interface these apps with downloading apps, so I can get real names of books, movies and TV shows, can access my ebook library via a web instance on the NAS, all from using the NAS, instead of having to have a separate PC dedicated to these apps. My ebook library is nothing now compared to what it used to be, but I still want to have a way to use Calibre to access what I do have, and a way to add more as time goes on.

==============================================================================================

After executing a kill_all and restarting I had a single instance of xfce4 running.

I haven't had a single time in the last hour or so where the screen flickers and the mouse starts hanging on the right edge, middle of the screen. I don't know if I have changed anything or not with all of this messing around, but it appears stable, at least for now..
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Right now, I'm running PHT through the NAS on my Vizio E40-C2 TV and it is running beautifully. The NAS itself is also the PMS and resource hits are nothing. It's running better using PHT in hx-engine than it did while running the dedicated Vizio app. (Almost no resources used via hx-engine 2.5% maximum. And using about 5% when playing on the dedicated Vizio app for a Direct Play session.)

This has changed things for me already, even if the apps I most would like to get working aren't ever able to run.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
MikeG.6.5 wrote: I haven't had a single time in the last hour or so where the screen flickers and the mouse starts hanging on the right edge, middle of the screen. I don't know if I have changed anything or not with all of this messing around, but it appears stable, at least for now..
OK please keep tuned ... just to see if it go back or not ... perhaps to verify after a reboot ... but for the moment ... just use it ...

Normally a chroot is a response to your request ...

In fact they are multiples method to virtualize a system inside another system
... the more independent is using a Virtualization Tools like Virtualbox or Qemu ... that emulate a full machine inside your own
... ... this solution is resource consuming BUT permit ANY kind of simulation (Windows, Mac (even not easy), any Linux distribution, etc.
... another way is to share a part of your actual system BUT use all libraries, tools etc. of a compatible distribution ...
With ADM (a Linux embedded system) ... it's possible to use a Linux distribution open source and with ALL tools available ...
... ... this way is based on chroot ( a jail) where the environment is the Linux distribution choice (in my case Ubuntu 14.04 L.T.S.) BUT sharing the hearth of the system (kernel, kernel modules and network)
... ... this environment can be lightly integrated (chroot) or with more limit (CPU, independent network, memory) in Linux Container (not available for now ... I work on it) on Asustor

... so a chroot (my small work is to integrate it transparency in the ADM firmware) permit to use "standard" package from the distribution ... and add software NOT available native with ADM ...
... The BIG challenge for the user (like you) it's to have a minimum of competency in managing the Linux distribution provide ... why ... because it's not possible to integrate ALL packages (more than 32000) ... BUT fortunately ... lot of help exist (Asustor Forum ... but also Ubuntu support and forum)

I will study your request (packages) and if possible help you to install it (as a thanks to helping me to clean my piece of software) ... :D

Philippe.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
MikeG.6.5 wrote:Right now, I'm running PHT through the NAS on my Vizio E40-C2 TV and it is running beautifully. The NAS itself is also the PMS and resource hits are nothing. It's running better using PHT in hx-engine than it did while running the dedicated Vizio app. (Almost no resources used via hx-engine 2.5% maximum. And using about 5% when playing on the dedicated Vizio app for a Direct Play session.)
This has changed things for me already, even if the apps I most would like to get working aren't ever able to run.
Good news ... hope this it's only a "starting point" ... don't hesitate to return experience AND PROBLEMS ... more we have return ... more we can do a better job ...

thanks for your help.

Philippe.
As I said just in previous message ... I will study your request and try to have a good response ...
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

MANY, many thanks, both for what you have already done and for even taking the time to help me work out the problems I've had!

With your hx_engine and the base PHT it includes, the option to use a NAS as a HT system just came back to many people who haven't had it working. I would love to see something like this work with the 30x and 20x series, too. To solve other people's HT issues with XBMC no longer being worked on. I don't have one I could even send you to test this on. I wonder, if you asked Asustor nicely, if they might send you a sample 202TE to do some dev and test work on.

I know the video driver issues might be a hold up for those models, but who knows with what you've done already! :)
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi Mike,

My first try ... are not really "concluding" ...... first I have a severe problem with how /dev (the devices descriptors) are managed in ADM in this series
second point ... even if I get some result with VA-API (not sure we are coherent) ... if the source or binaries provide by Intel are the proprietary one ... no luck in perspective ... only if it's the open source delivery.

After that we have to fight against the kernel use ...

So don't dream ... if ASUSTOR has not advanced solution ... I think it's not only to don't use resources ... it's also because it's a big job ... without clear possibility to win (remember that LOT (to don't said ALL) standard Linux distribution ... have stopped the work on it ... and never upgrade it to new version of the drm, va-api and graphic driver ... )

The fault is to Intel (that sold IGP under is name BUT from powerVR without at minima a descent source driver for Linux (MS$ or Apple$ ho! YES (money, money) ... but Linux ... ) and to Imagination technologies the real supplier of the PowerVR IGP that never provide any driver for Linux ...
it was a fool's bargain ... first between Intel and Im. Tech. then from Intel to NAS provider (requesting graphics ... so Intel know the request ... but for a stop gap ... prefer to sold this stuff than wait for a descent offer) ... and at end for users against NAS provider (even their responsibility are really minimum ).

I will try to do some tests ... BUT clearly it's not my first priority ... BUT if a "genius" idea come ... but unfortunately I am not a genius :lol: :lol:

regards.
Philippe.
NB I have access to a AS-202TE ... but thanks for proposal, appreciate your investment to get things better ... for all .
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

father.mande wrote:but unfortunately I am not a genius :lol: :lol:
i'm not agree. your apps are really great !!!
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
damien599901 wrote: i'm not agree. your apps are really great !!!
I totally insensitive to any form of flattery. :lol: :lol: :lol: (because I know the truth)

Philippe.
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

father.mande wrote:Hi,
damien599901 wrote: i'm not agree. your apps are really great !!!
I totally insensitive to any form of flattery. :lol: :lol: :lol: (because I know the truth)

Philippe.
:lol: :mrgreen:
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air

Return to “Desktop_Engine”