[APKG Desktop_engine] BETA 2 announcement / download

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[APKG Desktop_engine] BETA 2 announcement / download

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

I am please to announce the APKG BETA 2 of Desktop_Engine (APKG name hx-engine)
===== FULL complement for ASPORTAL (in fact other approach) ... BUT using existing XORG =====
INTEGRATION with (in) ASPORTAL is done in BETA 2
Desktop_Engine is more for people having an Hmdi screen monitor connected to the Asustor than a large TV ;.. but it's a personal choice ...
please for installing stuff read the technical information FIRST : http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7635

=== ATTENTION READ CAREFULLY THE : BEFORE_INSTALL, INSTALL, AFTER_INSTALL OR UPDATE procedure hereafter ========
=== USE UPDATE ONLY if you have installed application and don't want to restart ... but the more tested is fresh install =====
hx-enginex90.png
[Name]
hx-engine

[Version]
Beta 1.2
ADD ... a virtual screen to keep ANY application active ... without HDMI screen occupied ...
Integration with ASPORTAL ...
... if ASPORTAL is diable ... you start directly with desktop of hx-engine
... if ASPORTAL is enable ... the desktop is NOT started ... an icon is added to ASPORTAL to switch from ASPORTAL to desktop
... ... logout of desktop return to ASPORTAL ...
ADD a permanent Xvnc server to access the virtual screen (DISPLAY :99) from any point using any Vnc client (ssh tunel is also possible)
ADD a Vncclient in ASPORTAL (disable by default) enable it using hx_manage BUT attention ASPORTAL in background intefer with mouse move and screen refresh
... so best usage is to use an external client on Windows, Linux, MAcOS, Android, IOS , etc ... )
ADD a specific env.sh (environment variable for Xfce (desktop manager) ... for ex. to put the desktop in your own language
... generate your language using locale-gen command ; then add it in env.sh script; then restart desktop
... ... env.sh is in /usr/local/AppCentral/hx-engine/my_script/ASUSTOR/bin/env.sh (Asustor ADM view)
... ... env.sh is in /etc/ASUSTOR/bin/env.sh (chroot point of view)
exampele :

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#export LANG=fr_FR.utf8
Beta 1.1 first release

[Pre-requisites]
Xorg (tested on ADM 2.6 xorg : 10.14.7.R19 ) ... but must run with previous version
CANCELLED in BETA 2 Asportal MUST be stopped BEFORE install (restarting it can generate unpredictable results ...
Asustor model with HDMI (64 bits softawre / real Intel graphic adapter) ... sorry for old 32 bits model and PowerVR IGP
USB keyboard and mouse (tested with Logitech unifying dongle and associated wireless mouse and ketboard)
A minimum of memory 2GB if you want to use plenty your Asustor NAS tools (tested with 4GB memory)
How opening a console in the Asustor (ssh or telnet) ... status debugging ... some actions ..

[Know Bugs (and solution)]
SOLVED Desktop on Hdmi screen is in French (apologize) ... thanks to Mike (that discover my error)
solution : need to change or comment the language in the script ...
===== You can do this hx-engine Enable or Disable (if Enable you must restart the Desktop as explain hereafter
... open a console (ssh or telnet) connect as root / Your_Admin_Password ... and enter :

sed -i 's/export LANG/#export LANG/' /usr/local/AppCentral/hx-engine/my_script/ASUSTOR/bin/start_xfce.sh
This add a # at start of line ... so comment it ... you return to default : en_US.utf8 AFTER restarting the Desktop

hx_manage close_desktop
hx_manage start_desktop
OR by Disabling and Enabling in App. Central the APKG

[Restrictions]
NO pulseaudio ... only ALSA sound ... so no skype (for the moment)
Audio is configured for HDMI card=0 device=3 I don't know if it's same for other models
... so in case of problem ... stop hx-engine, change in /usr/local/AppCentral/hx-engine/my_script/ASUSTOR/files/AST_audio ... the device value (to 7 generally)
... ... this can be done manually or using confutil as well .
Default keyboard layout is "us" ... use hx_xkb to change it ...

[Install procedure]
BEFORE_INSTALL :
... connect keyboard and mouse if it's not already done
... CANCELLED FOR BETA 2 disable asportal and all relevant applications (if needed) using App. Central
... verify xorg is up (mouse must move)
... verify you have at least 2 GB free space on disk .
INSTALL :
as usual using App. Center "manual install"
BE PATIENT ... the apk is ~700 MB ... so first message (to accept install) appear after 1 minute or more
BE PATIENT ... install also untar large file ... so the elapse time is more than 1 or 2 minutes.
hx-engine will be disabled if xorg not running or asportal is running ...
AFTER_INSTALL :
open a ssh console with root / your_admin_password
if nothing appear (XFCE4 desktop) on the HDMI screen AND hx-engine is Enable ... enter in console : hx_manage start_desktop
... if nothing ... disable the APKG (APP. Central) and post ...I will ask you some log in /tmp
Must be done :
use hx_xkb to change keyboard layout if you don't use a "us" keyboard"
then
enter in the chroot :
hdechrt
then change the timezone : to reflect your own date and time
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
... then follow the screen to reply ...
exit
... your system is ready ...
ATTENTION applications don't have user structure so ... first start of Chrome, Netflix (but Chrome, so one of the two), PlexHomeTheater, Kodi (local) need some time (few seconds)
... ONLY PlexHomeThater have a pre-configuration to deactivate vsync (solve a problem of tearing due to xorg libraries)
LAST :
keep in memory what you add and how :
what : ... because the upgrade mechanism provide by ASUSTOR uninstall first APKG don't update existing data ...
how : ... to fill the database of application able to run, with eventually things to do or services to add ...

[Default users and password]
root / asusfr1 (must be change in the chroot ... even not need to enter in the chroot but for su,gksu, etc ...)
astuser / asusfr1 default user for Hdmi screen desktop (can be change check the procedure in command lines tools) ... password can be change
... ... need for sceensaver asking password (duration 2 hours)
astext / asusfr1 ... user for Xdm external connections ... (password can be change as usual in chroot)
NEW BETA 2 :
astxvfb / asusfr1 ... user managing PERMANENT virtual screen (DISPLAY 99)
Default VNC password for DISPLAY 99 : asusfr1

[Set of command line tools]
here : http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7636

[Uninstall procedure]
Even "normal" remove from App. Central work as well ... BY SECURITY (BETA Phase) better is to :
... stop hx-engine and disable it (or do the twice in one ... using App. Central)
... reboot (to be sure nothing is pending)
... uninstall hx-engine using App. Central

[Update procedure]
from BETA 1 to BETA 2
A) do an update / upgrade of package in the chroot
hdechrt
apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
(Yes is good response to question)
B) create a NEW user in the chroot named astxvfb UID 65503 (mandatory)
adduser --home /home/astxvfb --shell /bin/bash --uid 65503 --gecos "HD_Engine astxvfb" --ingroup users astxvfb
... select any password you want BUT remember it ... :lol:
C) install Xfvb software ... if not already done
verify :
dpkg -l xvfb
if installed response is like (first ii is most important) : "ii xvfb 2:1.15.1-0ubuntu2.7 amd64 Virtual Framebuffer 'fake' X server"
if not installed or if you have doubt ... no risk
apt-get install xvfb
idem for x11vnc
apt-get install x11vnc

OK Now you can start the update procedure ...

[Install news applications]
enter in the chroot
use as root : apt-get as usual
don't forget : apt-get update; apt-get upgrade ... to have the last versions
eventually : apt-get dist-upgrade is some system libraries must be updated (generally you have a message that some applications are keep in previous version ... )
then : apt-get install package ...
DURING install : survey "GREEN" message ... it's services started or restarted ... if restarted NOTHING to do
... ... BUT if started ... you must ahve to add starting of this service in the init script of the chroot (ask for documentation)

[Save user environment]
Disable hx-engine APKG (App. Central)
open a console
cd /usr/local/AppCentral/hx-engine
tar czf any_place/my_home.tgz my_home/

[Support]
xfce4 : http://www.xfce.org/community
Ubuntu : http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
APKG hx-engine command line tools : http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7636
APKG hx-engine : http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7635

[Download]
It's a BETA so ... open new topics for each question ... BUT read first existing topics
APKG BETA 2 : https://mega.nz/#!t1cTiSTJ!a3i8It2eqeqi ... RWSDmwyZ_k

APKG Beta : https://mega.nz/#!J49zwRLB!qjbNTJjt-dj7 ... 5ljxPkQTjA

Certainly I forgot lot of things ... please ask ... using new topics ...
Have fun.
Philippe.
Last edited by father.mande on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
hane73

Re: [APKG Desktop_engine] BETA 1 announcement / download

Post by hane73 »

Hello!
I have tred to follow your step but gets an error message when I try to start the desktop:

root@NAS:/volume1/.@root # hx_manage start_desktop
root@NAS:/volume1/.@root # xfce4-session: GNOME compatibility is enabled and gnome-keyring-daemon is found on the system. Skipping gpg/ssh-agent startup.
Cannot get number of desktops properties. (_NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS or _WIN_WORKSPACE_COUNT)
Cannot get current desktop properties. (_NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP or _WIN_WORKSPACE property)
/usr/bin/xdotool: Unknown command: 44040205
Run '/usr/bin/xdotool help' if you want a command list
session error log in /home/astuser/xfce_astuser.log

And I also do not see kodi och PHT on the start screen of the NAS (when connected to the tv).

Hans
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi hane73,
====== FIRST can you create a new topic for the questions, please ====

Please can you provide a screen shot of your screen result ?
... you can use ever :
x11vnc APKG (XvncServer) ... and connect a vncviewer ... and do a screenshot localy to the PC where the viewer is
OR
add in a console the xfce4-screenshooter tools and do locally (then transfert the png file to your PC). hereafter a short how-to
OR
if it's too Technic ... use any camera ... and try to do the best ...

The errors messages are "normal" :roll: (due to integration test phase in Beta) ... I just forget to hide it ... BUT why did you use the hx_manage command ... hx-engine don't start after install ??
So you can ignore it ... without problems (I work on cleanest version to don't have this trace ... ) or correct "cosmetic" script (xdotool error ... generally when you restart Desktop ... Asustor have a small xterm associated with xorg (to let it active) ... the first time I hide it ... so in case of restart ... I try to hide a windows not listed (because hidden ... ) I will have to manage it (a test to add))

How-to install xfce4-sceenshooter and use it :
open a ssh or telnet console (root / You_Admin_Password)
then enter command (bleu only, rest is comment) :
hdechrt (to enter in the chroot)
apt-get-update ; apt-get upgrade (to have last versions ... in case of)
apt-get install xfce4-screenshooter-plugin
... answer "Y" to the question ...
switch to astuser ... user
su - astuser
take a screenshot (you have to go after the command to the Hdmi screen)
xfce4-screenshooter -f --display=:0 -s Documents/ (full-screen screenshot ... png file are saved in user Documents folder)
... the screenshooter wait ... go to screen and click on "Save" button
... in case you don't have mouse ... use <TAB> to go to Save button and <ENTER> to validate ... (be attention to select a new name ... )
BETTER is to use a more simple (without space) name for file name of the .png ...
You retrieve the screenshot in Documents folder with a name like :

Code: Select all

HX_Engine astuser@AS5002TaPhil:~$ ll Documents/
total 1416
-rw-r--r-- 1 astuser users 722974 Mar 21 15:56 Screenshot - 032116 - 15:56:35.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 astuser users 723336 Mar 21 16:10 Screenshot - 032116 - 16:10:25.png
HX_Engine astuser@AS5002TaPhil:~$ ls Documents/
Screenshot - 032116 - 15:56:35.png  Screenshot - 032116 - 16:10:25.png
HX_Engine astuser@AS5002TaPhil:~$
then transfer or copy to /share/public ... or what else (be attention to protect the " " (space) or change the name ... to get it and send to us.

Philippe.
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

works perfectly on AS6102T! great work Philippe !
i give a try ASAP on AS7 and AS51
xfce4-screenshooter => to take snapshots?
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
hane73

Post by hane73 »

Hello!
I reinstalled and now it works great :-)!

Thanks!
Hans
hane73

Post by hane73 »

Is it possible to take away the password for the screensaver? I have a harmony remote with flirc and it works great bur I can not write any password with it.
Hans
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
hane73 wrote:Is it possible to take away the password for the screensaver? I have a harmony remote with flirc and it works great bur I can not write any password with it.
Hans
Just go to the main menu (top left) / settings / screensaver ... and disable it or suppress the unlock by password ... (my menu are in French ... so a small difference in word use can exist ... sorry I go back in English later to have the good words ... )

NB can you create a topic with the configuration you have done to get the remote working ... to help others ...

Philippe.
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

issue on AS6102T
the NAS can not shut down properly
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
damien599901 wrote:issue on AS6102T
the NAS can not shut down properly
Can you provide more information ...

syslog, other log etc. (some hx-engine log in /tmp ...
do you have any idea of the process stopping the shutdown ?

Philippe.
father.mande

Re: [APKG Desktop_engine] BETA 2 announcement / download

Post by father.mande »

Hi

Announcement of BETA 2 of HX-Engine ... read first post ...

Philippe.

Return to “Desktop_Engine”