[APKG Desktop_Engine] Technical aspect MUST BE READ FIRST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[APKG Desktop_Engine] Technical aspect MUST BE READ FIRST

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

I am please to announce the availability ( later this day) of the BETA 1 of APKG Desktop_Engine (aka hx-engine)

FIRST and MUST BE READ ... BEFORE starting some technical explain (if you want to add your own applications) :

Desktop_Engine is a FULL chroot based on Ubuntu 14.04 L.T.S. distribution :
... This imply as a chroot :
... ... the kernel use is the kernel use by Asustor system
... ... the kernel modules are the modules use by Asustor system ... SO if you want to add some ... you must do it (managed by my APKG) in the Asustor firmware side
... ... the network is shared ... SO ... same I.P. for Asustor side and chroot ... same TCP IP or UDP ports used
... ... ... this imply that if you add a service existing in Asustor ... YOU MUST use another Port (ex. if Asustor use port 22 for ssh and you add your own ssh-server YOU MUST change the port)
... ... FULL chroot is to said : apt (package management tools for Ubuntu) are provide ... so application don't need any modification to be loaded and use.
... This imply specifically to the APKG
... ... Some services can be stated twice in chroot and in Asustor side (for ex. dbus, avahi or udev ... etc.) in this case you have to understand the impact ...
... ... ... for ex. starting a full udev (as I do) ... need to get the udev PID use by Asustor side to don't kill it when you stop hx-engine ...
... ... Limited shared resources are visible from the chroot (can be change by you)

... Desktop_Engine use the Xorg provide by Asustor :
... ... this imply to STOP asportal and associated application before installing and using hx-engine BUT if you STOP hx-engine you can use asportal as usual.
... ... I have NOT yet tested result if you try to start or restart (ex. when installing a new version of some application) asportal when hx-engine is running.

... Desktop_Engine don't start (except system services needed) anything as root or admin ... ALL RUN UNDER USER without priviledges

Desktop_Engine connectivity :
... management is done through command line tools ... (SO YOU MUST KNOWN HOW opening a CONSOLE through SSH or TELNET)
... ... hx_manage ... manage all aspect of the hx-engine (status, kill jobs, add share, start/stop Desktop)
... ... hx_xkb ... manage keyboard layout (default is "us") and variant normally set ONE time after installation if needed.
... ... hdecrt ... it's a command to enter in the chroot or execute some command as root in the chroot
... access
... ... HDMI screen connected to Asustor ... desktop use is XFCE4 ... but confirmed users can install and use any other
... ... ... why selecting XFCE : ease of use (configuration,large icons if needed, auto-start mechanism, relative light memory and CPU),speed,support of VERY large X tools
... ... From any PC with a local X-server ABLE TO MANAGE a Xdm request (mobaxterm, VcXserv, Xming, Cgwin/X etc. on Windows)
... ... for specific application using ssh X11 redirection
... ... with a minimum of installation ... (not provide in basic delivery BUT provide as APKG XvncServer) any Vncviewer

Desktop_Engine pre-define users :
... astuser is the default user for the desktop (HDMI screen)
... astext is one user for access remotely from local X-server (to a client PC) to XDM (login X manager) in the Asustor
... ... BUT it's possible to use your own user (create it in chroot or clone it from Asustor side with same UID/GID to keep same access rigth to files) astuser and astext use UID 6500,65501 to don't have conflict with UID created by Asustor ...

Desktop_Engine requirement :
... memory (at least 2 GB) ... even if I don't test with 1GB
... a x86_64 processor with a true Intel graphic processor (not a powerVR) (so old 32 bits Asustor and model without a "real" Intel Graphics Board can't use Desktop_Engine)
... an USB keyboard and a mouse (tested with Logitech Unifying dongle)
... an HDMI screen (tested with Xorg / asportal before)

Desktop_Engine limitations (actual) :
... NO I.R. (remote control support) ... under study but I don't have Asustor R.C. and don't clearly understand how Asustor manage it
... ... BUT Vlc or Kodi or etc. remote control through Web or Android works as well
... ... I will run test to use UnifiedRemote ... to get a full management from Android of Desktop
... Sound
... ... ONLY ALSA is supported for the moment ... so Skype for ex. using ONLY Pulseaudio can't run now (with sound and microphone) I lost one week to try solving the problem ... but I am not satisfyed by the result ... so please wait ...
... Avahi (Bonjour) is not yet configured

Desktop_Engine exchange server between Asustor side and chroot
... an exchange server is provide to be able to start application (controlled and limited (by you)) in the Asustor side
... ... example is supply to start the kodi version provide by Asustor (normally under asportal) inside the desktop ... so you keep your own parameters ...
... ... with small change in script (of APKG supply by Asustor) it's possible to run any application already existing
... ... technical guide will be provide later ...

Desktop_Engine Applications Provide with the basic delivery
... VLC Player 2.2.1
... PlexHomeTheater 1.4.2
... Kodi 16.1 (in the chroot)
... Link to Kodi 16 from Asustor APKG
... Chrome v49
... Netflix (use Chrome)
... All XFCE4 tools (file manager with SMB access ... )
... a Xterminal with large font (just as an exemple)
... etc. etc.

Desktop_Engine default :
... astuser is the user in Xfce4 HDMI screen desktop
... astext is for XDM connection (astuser is refused)
... "us" keyboard layout

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Desktop_Engine”