Optware for ASUSTOR

ipkg, or the Itsy Package Management System, is a lightweight package management system designed for embedded devices. It is used in the Unslung operating system for the Linksys NSLU2, in OpenWRT, OpenMoko, Gumstix, iPAQ and now on asustor NAS too.
MrK
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Optware for ASUSTOR

Post by MrK »

The Optware package is now available on the ASUSTOR package store. No need to manually download it anymore.

Hello,

I just go myself an AS-202T and did miss Optware a lot. So I created package(s) for it .

You have to be familiar with the Linux or Unix command line to make use of this packages.

What's Optware
For the ones not familiar with Optware: it's a package system created originally for the Linksys NSLU2 and available for quite a number of NAS' including QNAP's and Synos. There're about 1300 packages in it - all kind of *nix apps and libs.

What this package does
  • creates a share 'Optware' on '/volume1'. If it exists it won't be touched
  • installing the '/opt' stuff into /usr/local/AppCentral/optware and symlinks that dir to /opt
  • adds ENV variable to /etc/profile to set /opt/{sbin,bin} include path
  • for AS-20xT/TE & AS-30xT sets up to use two package feeds per default:
  • [list]
  • i686g25 feed : i686 compiled with gblic 2.5
  • a local feed which is initially empty, for testing homebrew packages
  • Feed url is file:///volume1/Optware/local-feed/asustor-i686/cross/unstable[/*]
[*]for AS-60xT sets up to use two packages feeds:[/*]
  • x86_64 feed : x86_64 compiled with asustor toolchain (gblic 2.13)
  • a local feed which is initially empty, for testing homebrew packages
  • Feed url is file:///volume1/Optware/local-feed/asustor-x86_64/cross/unstable[/*]
[/list]
If you remove the package all the installed apps will be gone but not your homebrew packages in the local-feed.

2013-11-29: experimental ASUSTOR Optware package feeds
By now I let the system compile what was possible with little to no extra effort for i686 and x86_64. The "biggest" apps I wasn't able to compile yet are perl (and therefore it's X-modules), gcc and Asterisk and it's module. Plus some of the compiled apps I did update because either it didn't compile otherwise or I just wanted to do it. Examples: ffmpeg, file, rtorrent, transmission & vorbis-tools. And being able to compile doesn't necessary mean that it will work. The IPKG of vorbis-tools as an example doesn't (yet) contain the list of the dependancies and therefore the binaries won't start unless you install the missing libs yourself.

Download the highly experimental packages below
  • i386 AS-20xT/TE & AS-30xT (date: 20131225-200258 | size: 244kb | md5: 8bc6deb099ec3a37eada0a79b23554e7)
  • x86-64 AS-60xT (date: 20131225-200258 | size: 244kb | md5: d9f9cf6c87171e4fd5a0e7ded7a0e89f)
    I was able to install the package on a AS-604T at ASUSTOR per remote and i seems to work just fine :) ... a big thanx to ASUSTOR for letting my access the NAS.
It's of course highly unofficial (no support from ASUSTOR obviously) and you shouldn't dream about installing it if you don't know the Linux command line.

Compile Optware programs/libraries yourself
Clone or fork the repository on github and read the README.md for instructions.

Yep, that's that for now. Feedback is of course very much appreciated especially from brave AS-60xT owners. And I'd like to repeat: Please have a backup of your data on the NAS before trying it out. I would hate to see someone loosing date due to an error in the package!

[edited/2013-12-25]Fix a bug which prevented the package to be installed on AS-60xT (x86_64/64-bit cpu). Nothing new for the 32-bit and therefore no need to update.[/edited]
[edited/2013-12-16]corrected download link[/edited]
[edited/2013-12-16]Add optware.kupper.org as x86_64 feed[/edited]
[edited/2013-12-08]Fix a bug in copying optware/etc/profile.d directory and removing /opt content[/edited]
[edited/2013-12-06]Reworked package to not interfere with ASUSTOR Portal which creates symlink in /opt[/edited]
[edited/2013-11-29]some additions (optware feed ulrs) and restructuring the post.[/edited]

Cheers
Thomas
Last edited by MrK on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:19 am, edited 12 times in total.
Storage: AS-202T | AS-604T (borrowed)
PC/Laptop: iMac 27" & rMBP 15"
Media Server/Player: Plex on ASUSTOR NAS & Samsung TV
igracgq

Re: [Unoffical] Optware for i686

Post by igracgq »

You are a champ... I'll be checking out this app asap... I'we been using optware with my nslu and qnap... Its a really nice way off adding aditional 1300apps to asustor...will your app work with as-6xx series?
AS-602 with 3GB ram, 4TB WD Red

Qnap TS-119, DD-WRT Linksys 310n, WDlxTV player, RasperryPi OpenELEC
z1022

Post by z1022 »

a local feed which is initially empty, for testing homebrew packages
Feed url is file:///volume1/Optware/local-feed/asustor-i686/cross/unstable

Can't understand above ? Can you explain it ?

Thanks
MrK

Post by MrK »

igracgq wrote:You are a champ... I'll be checking out this app asap... I'we been using optware with my nslu and qnap... Its a really nice way off adding aditional 1300apps to asustor...will your app work with as-6xx series?
No I guess not. The as-6xx series is 64-bit and the binaries in the i686g25 feed are compiled for 32-bit. Not sure if the 32-bit compatibility library are installed per default on the as-6xx series.

I'll try to compile a boostrap and some apps for 64-bit this week to see if Optware does compile on 64-bit.
MrK

Post by MrK »

z1022 wrote:a local feed which is initially empty, for testing homebrew packages
Feed url is file:///volume1/Optware/local-feed/asustor-i686/cross/unstable

Can't understand above ? Can you explain it ?
You can have multiple feed enabled and usually the feeds urls starts with "http://" but they can also start with "file://". And that's how the local feed is integrated.

I have the Optware environment set up in a LInux VM and I did compile a bunch of apps/libs including the bootstrap for the asustor-i686. The Optware env allows me to create packages and packages index which I can rsync over to the NAS (to /volume1/Optware/local-feed/asustor-i686/cross/unstable). Then I run an ipkg update and now the list of available packages are merged and do include the ones I did compile. And if both feeds contain a packages of the same version, the local packages is installed. Which feed it queried first for the package depends on the order the feeds appear.

Hope that helps & cheers
Thomas
dondavis007

Post by dondavis007 »

Thank you!
"Looking for a "like button"" :)
igracgq

Post by igracgq »

I'll try to compile a boostrap and some apps for 64-bit this week to see if Optware does compile on 64-bit.
Looking forward to it

MrK

Re: [Unoffical] Optware for ASUSTOR

Post by MrK »

Package for AS-60xT is available but handle it with care since I couldn't test it! Please have a backup of your data on the NAS before giving the package a go!
More infos you'll find in the first post. I'll be happy to assist of course.

Cheers
Thomas
igracgq

Post by igracgq »

MrK wrote:Package for AS-60xT is available but handle it with care since I couldn't test it! Please have a backup of your data on the NAS before giving the package a go!
More infos you'll find in the first post. I'll be happy to assist of course.

Cheers
Thomas
I'm a little hesitant to be the fist to test the app since I don't have the back up of my data. Perhaps someone at asustor can install it on their demo or spare AS-60xT machine and see how it works. Moreover, being a 64bit machine, there seem to be very low number of avialable packages compared to what's out there. I used squid, dansguardian, tsocks on qnap before but they don't seem to be on the list here.

I do appreciate the hard work and the contribution

Thanks

MrK

Post by MrK »

igracgq wrote: I'm a little hesitant to be the fist to test the app since I don't have the back up of my data. Perhaps someone at asustor can install it on their demo or spare AS-60xT machine and see how it works. Moreover, being a 64bit machine, there seem to be very low number of avialable packages compared to what's out there. I used squid, dansguardian, tsocks on qnap before but they don't seem to be on the list here.
I totally agree with you it would be awesome if someone (ASUSTOR) with a spare AS-60xT could test it. I did compile some more apps today - not uploaded yet - and yours are on it :) but I got a problem with generating the index and therefore I have to solve that first.

dansguardian_2.10.1.1-2_x86_64.ipk
squid_2.7.9-1_x86_64.ipk
tsocks_1.8beta5-4_x86_64.ipk

But however let's see if someone else can test it and how it will go.

Cheers
Thomas

Return to “optware”