Optware for ASUSTOR

ipkg, or the Itsy Package Management System, is a lightweight package management system designed for embedded devices. It is used in the Unslung operating system for the Linksys NSLU2, in OpenWRT, OpenMoko, Gumstix, iPAQ and now on asustor NAS too.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

z1022
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: [Unoffical] Optware for ASUSTOR

Post by z1022 »

Thanks for your help.
anotherusername

Re: [Unoffical] Optware for ASUSTOR

Post by anotherusername »

I installed the Optware ipkg from App Central but when I type "ipkg list" or "ipkg install ..." I just get "-sh: ipkg: not found" !?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

UPDATE: I have an AS-604T.

UPDATE 2: It was not working because I used ssh from Ubuntu command line...
liefde

Re: Optware for ASUSTOR

Post by liefde »

For anyone curious, Optware is old stuff. This thread is dead.

For the asustor nases you want entware-ng (famous from its openwrt platform use):
http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... entware+ng

Install the package you can get through the Download link on that page manually through asustor webgui.
Then do
# opkg upgrade
# opkg update
# opkg install bash bind-tools cron mc nginx whereis
etc.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Did someone actually raise this ancient thread from the dead (last reply june 2014, almost 2 years ago), just to confirm the tread is dead? :roll:

"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Yep, and then insulted the guy that wrote the Entware package on top of it!

Just hope Philippe doesn't take it too badly, and keeps doing the outstanding work he's doing.
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

and sadly entware install package isn't anymore avaiable :-/
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
But easily you'll end buying a kitchen from UK.
liefde

Post by liefde »

dhstsw wrote:and sadly entware install package isn't anymore avaiable :-/
Exactly. And people wonder why they feel insulted so easily..
Seriously, do any of the asustor devs feel any responsibility or passion for what they've dumped on the masses to use?

Buying this NAS was the dumbest decision in my 36 years in IT.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
liefde wrote: Exactly. And people wonder why they feel insulted so easily..
Seriously, do any of the asustor devs feel any responsibility or passion for what they've dumped on the masses to use?
If you consider to be "polite" ... it is certainly a problem of definition ... but as I write in other post ... no offense ... just the recognize that you are better ... (or you think to be ... also it's a point of view)

Seriously did you think that independent integrator putting community APKG only to share with others ... are linked in any manner with ASUSTOR devs?
... no it's users (I prefer to don't write "like you" ... ) so this users do some work on their free time ... just to share with each other and never with the "professional help and support" that anybody can expect from a company ...

And if we have time ... we can write response to any (gentle) question ...

Your opinion on Asustor ... it's yours ... but best is to write your complaints directly to Asustor no ? :mrgreen:

Don't be worry ... I stop exchange ... I don't have enough time to do it ...
Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

liefde wrote:
dhstsw wrote:and sadly entware install package isn't anymore avaiable :-/
Exactly. And people wonder why they feel insulted so easily..

And buying this NAS is one of the smartest things I've done in over 30 years of IT experience. I've worked with the others, and what we have with Asustor is leaps and bounds better than what is out there for the competition. If you had worked with any of the other brands of pre-made NASes for any length of time you would know that already.

You have alienated one of the independent developers we had doing the work most of us wish we could be doing. Philippe isn't an Asustor developer, he is just a user who did the development on his own time. Who graciously allowed the rest of the community to make use of his efforts. And thanks to you and your rude, callous comments he pulled his work from us. Rather than thanking him for doing this work on his own time, you felt a need to denigrate him. And, rightfully, he decided to stop allowing the community to make use of HIS packages. Not Asustor's but HIS.

So, why don't you step up to the plate now and take over his work? Why don't you write the code to turn this headless NAS into a headed Linux box via HDMI? What's that? You don't know how? Well, forums are a great thing. They allow for people to communicate across miles of space. They give us avenues to discuss and learn from others a world apart. And they allow people to become A$$es at the touch of a few keys. And you, sir, are one such A$$. You cost this community an invaluable resource without thought of how this resource would be replaced. And then try to justify your comments by trying to place blame on the product and not giving the independent developer his due.

Your contributions to this community as a whole are nothing compared to the work some have done here, and you just cost the community more than anything you could individually pay back. Go crawl back into the hole that spawned you while the rest of the appreciative community tries to put out the flames you started and work at making this product line the best it could possibly be.

Philippe, please don't let the words of one person turn into something the rest of us pay for. Your work is fantastic and an invaluable resource. Don't let one A$$HAT ruin it for all of the current and future owners of these products.
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

LOL, i discovered the Entware thread just two days ago.
I was following the post so, i uninstalled optware, astaware and... no more entware. :) Me idiot :)

Hope Philippe will change his mind, and not only for my missing *ware install :)

Cheers.
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
But easily you'll end buying a kitchen from UK.

Return to “optware”