Download Center Helper

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Hyena
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Download Center Helper

Post by Hyena »

It would be nice to get a new version from the chrome plugin on the subject because it not works with all torrent sites, and sometimes lost the connection with the server.
On some torrent sites its only downloads a "torrents.php" file, however the transmission addon works in the same place.
As i can see the latest version more than one year old, i think the past year was enought to get some feedback from the users what should you improve in the next version :D .
MikeG.6.5

Re: Download Center Helper

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I'm going to suggest you use uTorrent. Much more stable and a lot more flexible. DLC is not stable regardless of the version, and it's just all around a better app. The only reason I keep DLC on the NAS is it's search works better than uTorrent's does. And occasionally to fill missing episodes of TV shows. Even then it's problematic. Can still use smart folders with uTorrent, so can put .torrent files there to get a download started.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I've took your advice and changed the download center to utorrent, but after that also tried the qbittorrent which is much better for me because its quite fast. (i can download more than 90 mb/sec with that :) )
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Win/Win for you then. Faster downloading and a less buggy app to work with.

Been using uTorrent for a while now, not going to change apps in mid-stream, so to speak... Glad you have something that works for you.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yes it's works and i like it.
As i can see you're very active in this forums and im sure you have lots of experince with asustor.
Until now i only used synology i still have a ds415+ , and a hp proliant microserver with xpenology..., but i would like to try something different and i bought a asustor as5104t, and a qnap ts-453 pro for the holiday season to play with it :) .
Until now i like the asustor the download with this is lot faster than the qnap or the synology. (to be fair i should mention the only 3rd party download client for synology is the transmission, and i also using that on the qnap, however the qnap also has utorrent)
My only problem the interface java and vlc plugin dependency. HTML 5 would be much better. (for example the qnap interface is html 5 based , and looks better, on synology i can make folders for the icons, there are widgets...somebody should mix the best parts of this 3 brand and make a 4th super nas)
I saw that the asustor promised the new 3.0 (?) version of the adm to autumn, but this date is passed already. Is this normal with this brand?
What is your opinion or what do you think when could we get a new javaless version from the adm or at least new version from the file manager ? (to be honest the looksgood app not interested)
I just thinking to keep this nas for the future because its good looking and as i said it can take the advantage of my 1000 megabit/sec internet connection.

Otherwise there are also problems with the another brands. The qnap ts-453 pro is good to play with it, but not so good for everyday use because it has very buggy softwares, for example you can't use the integrated dlna client, even the settings app is freezing....(but it has very good virtualization software much better than the asustor has)
The synology has less ammount of features (no hdmi out, no kodi, no virtualization...) but its stable and html 5 based....(but i can install a virtual synology to the asustor or the qnap :) )
So my question is, according your experience what do you think what could we expect for the future with asustor when the html 5 based era reach us ? Or do you have any advice for a new asustor user :) ?
Thanks in advance and sorry for this long post.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

We have been promised HTML5 was to hit us in October. Here we are in December and it's not here yet. OK, I can understand that they ran into some issues with converting to HTML5. I CAN'T understand, given that a lot of Asustor's own apps aren't working now on most up to date browsers that instead they are building apps for mobile devices and not concentrating all resources on HTML5.

It's supposedly coming down the pike. If 2.5.2 upgrade was any indication, though, don't be the first to install the upgrade without some sort of backup of your data. As you have at least 2 other NASes, I would copy the data you can't live without onto one of them and upgrade when you feel safe.

Asustor has some issues with presence on the forums. This last week or 2 have been somewhat indicative of their lack or presence, as a lot of people upgraded the ADM and then had no functionality afterwards. And it took a few days for Asustor to realize the problem and take that upgrade down, which caused more machines to fail.

We have been assured that this will NOT happen again! We were also assured of this when they had a previous issue with another ADM upgrade, though.... I hold out hopes that they have learned they can't afford to keep upsetting their existing customers like this. 1 bad experience and 10 people hear about it. But if it's a good experience, that one usually only tells 3... Word of Mouth is powerful in advertising.

Time will tell... I'm still waiting for some bugs to be fixed on Python and Perl, and we are all waiting on some issues with SSL libraries missing.

Yes, I am active on these forums. I think the brand has a winner in the 700x model. The other models, well, they need some beefing up. The 510x is the absolute lowest end device I would recommend to anyone for anything remotely serious. And then I wouldn't recommend anyone using it for something like a HTPC deployment. It just hasn't got the CPU to fulfill that role. And until we get HW Accel on these devices, the 700x series is not living up to the potential it could have.

There are ways to make the smaller NASes work, but it's a Goldilocks situation. Things have to be JUST right to make everything work. Not many people are willing to take that much effort, so they complain a lot about XMBC of Kodi not working or not available... Which isn't likely to happen with the older models....

I steered off course a bit... Going to let it go now...
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Thanks for your informations, it seems the situation not too bright, and we cannot expect a quick solutions for the problems :( .
Maybe i was lucky but i have no problem with the 2.5.2 upgrade, however i cant lost too much because im in testing phase now with 2 disks and not too much data on that.
The Kodi also works well, but i don't understands why this nas has youtube client because without HW acceleration is unusably slow.
According my experience the sofware is the key, the ts-453 pro has very similar hardver like the as5104t but because the very buggy software its almost useless, and the good hardver just a waste caused by this.
This nas also got a update recently and with the update we got some another problems. (similar hardver, similar update, and problems)
I agree with you the 70xx models have good specification but i think they also overpriced.
My main nas is a built one with 10 disks with similar specification and the cost of that was around the half of the 7004 model, and you can also found powerful dell poweredge t20 microservers for easy money (xeon processor...) and you can install xpenology to that.
Now im thinking to sell the ds415+ and i will choose between the as5104t and the qnap. (now i prefer the asustor because of the more software problems of the ts453)
You may not interested to hear about the another brands , but i just wants to tell you they also have problems, something better, something worse there.
Hopefully the company will hear our cry and fix the problems (i hate to clicking to the popup window of the filemanager java warning everytime when i started, and its a shame on the asustor after this plugin not supported anymore) soon. I just trying to figure out, they used to fix the problems or just releasing something new and leaving alone the old models like the popcorn hour for example. (good hardware but not so good software)
Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english :) .

Return to “Download Center Helper”