Backup Plan - Destination folder on NAS - choice??

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Hans
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup Plan - Destination folder on NAS - choice??

Post by Hans »

Hi there, I have been trying out the latest Backup Plan Windows software and - overall - it's nice and simple, which is what I am looking for. Now, I want to synchronise a maximum of 6 plans per computer (3 computers in all) to the NAS. I had made a main folder on the NAS and - for each computer - a subfolder. Of course, admin permisions/rights, all ok.

Unfortunately, devising a backup plan, I can only choose the main (root) folder on the NAS, and NOT the desired subfolder. I do realise that - once I run the backup - the software produces a number of subfolders into that main folder but I wish to organise this MYSELF. It is a shambles if I do it like this for 3 computers (x 6 plans).

Is this all there is or am I doing something wrong here???

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Hans

:?:
orion

Re: Backup Plan - Destination folder on NAS - choice??

Post by orion »

Yes, it seems that they design Backup Plan to behave like this (we can only select main folder, i.e., shared folder, on NAS). I can live with it.

Actually it won't mess up things with other data. I created a shared folder, called Backup, and I put backup data on it. Backup Plan software will create different sub-folder for each computer. It is easy for me to identify them. ;)
Hans

Post by Hans »

@Orion, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it seems Asustor Backup will NOT be for me then. The point is that it seems to only synchronise between a separate computer and the NAS. However, I have documents that I want to access (and synchronise from) two other computers in my LAN. I need the document versions to be the latest version regardless from the computer I am working on. All that Backup seems to do is produce nicely synchronised versions but DIFFERENT among the separate computers.

Looks like I need to go back to Bitttorrent Sync again...?

If I missed something, please let me know.

Thanks
Hans
orion

Post by orion »

That's right. I think you can try Syncthing, Bitttorrent Sync or ownCloud.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

Hi

Take a look at unison...

But depending how you are working, the best solution is perhaps a document hosted by your NAS and directly accessed with windows share from computers.

Return to “ASUSTOR Backup Plan”