Backup & Restore - Home directory

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Nazar78
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup & Restore - Home directory

Post by Nazar78 »

Hi all,

Just would like to ask, why Backup & Restore doesn't include the home directory as one of the source for any of the backups method? E.g. in Internal Backup->Create, the home directory is missing. In my setup I have several home user directories that I would like to schedule an external backups of them or most probably the whole home contents.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
orion

Re: Backup & Restore - Home directory

Post by orion »

You can enable "User homes" which is all of user homes for admin user. After that, admin can backup all of user homes. However, not for each individual user.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

orion wrote:You can enable "User homes" which is all of user homes for admin user. After that, admin can backup all of user homes. However, not for each individual user.
Hi orion,

Didn't notice your reply earlier. Thanks this is what I'm looking for! I had resorted in creating rsync cron script after opening a ticket with support and they said it's not possible with Back & Restore due to security reasons duh.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

Nazar78 wrote:
orion wrote:You can enable "User homes" which is all of user homes for admin user. After that, admin can backup all of user homes. However, not for each individual user.
And where might this setting of "user homes" reside? After switching system volumes I experience the same thing. I´d like to backup the whole of the Home directory.

Regards
AS5304T + AS6004U + 4 x SEAGATE EXOS 16TB + 2 x SEAGATE IRONWOLF 8TB + 2 x WD 4TB
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Screenshot_20220515-111941_Chrome.png
Screenshot_20220515-111941_Chrome.png (102.86 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

Nazar78 wrote:Screenshot help
I must be blind because I missed your help first, but I found it myself based on what you wrote in another thread. It does the trick. Thanks!

In my previous system (I had a RAID0 one before migration) I never saw that "user homes" folder but only the Home folder and I could back it up. I don't know what changed.
AS5304T + AS6004U + 4 x SEAGATE EXOS 16TB + 2 x SEAGATE IRONWOLF 8TB + 2 x WD 4TB
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

helgrimm wrote:
Nazar78 wrote:Screenshot help
I must be blind because I missed your help first, but I found it myself based on what you wrote in another thread. It does the trick. Thanks!

In my previous system (I had a RAID0 one before migration) I never saw that "user homes" folder but only the Home folder and I could back it up. I don't know what changed.
Not sure but perhaps you were using a non-privileged account and unable to see the global home folder. The home only belongs to the active account.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “ASUSTOR Backup Plan”