Backup Plan, and is there a better option?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

davelartigue
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup Plan, and is there a better option?

Post by davelartigue »

I just purchased an ASUSTOR AS3302T and am figuring out what I need to run with it.

One thing I want to do is regularly back up files from my laptop and my wife's laptop to the NAS. I don't want to do this while we're working on the laptops.

I used Backup Plan and created a plan that is supposed to fire at 10pm. It didn't. I checked the next day and figured I hadn't specified the proper port, so I did that. Once again, it did not fire at 10pm. As a test, I created a plan that was identical except it would fire at 11am, which was close to the current time. It worked fine and backed up the files.

All I can think of is that Backup Plan has no way of launching if the laptop is asleep (still on, though). If so, that makes it far less useful as a backup app.

Is there something I'm missing about Backup Plan or something else I should use instead? I am on Windows 10.
orion

Re: Backup Plan, and is there a better option?

Post by orion »

davelartigue wrote: All I can think of is that Backup Plan has no way of launching if the laptop is asleep (still on, though).
I'm not sure what you mean. No, Backup Plan won't do the jobs if your PC sleeps (but you said still on??).
You can actually wake your PC up by setting up a scheduled task (https://www.technipages.com/scheduled-task-windows). Don't forget to enable wake up function.
davelartigue

Post by davelartigue »

Sorry, what I mean is: I finish working on the laptop at 5pm or whenever, and I just leave it. Eventually the power plan takes over and puts it in sleep and locks it. It doesn't shut off.

But what it sounds like is, I need to schedule some task in Windows to wake the laptop back up so it can run Backup Plan. Thanks for the link; I will give that a try.

Is this the best way to do what I want to do? What I want is to backup my important laptop folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads) each day. I don't want to just work within the NAS, as the whole point of the laptop is to be ported around elsewhere. Does one of the other available apps allow me to sync with a backup on the NAS? I apologize if I'm using weird term; I'm new to this and not sure what I should be asking.
orion

Post by orion »

Then I believe your laptop should go to sleep mode (not on). Yes, you'll have to setup a wake-up task.

Return to “ASUSTOR Backup Plan”