Hibernation/Security Problem

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

psychoboy
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Hibernation/Security Problem

Post by psychoboy »

***UPDATE 2018-10-03********
If you read my previous post below, I was having a problem with hibernation that I seem to have solved. However, I see the solution as a security threat.

I don't want my NAS to have unfettered access to the internet, I have no need to access anything from beyond it's location. Therefore, it is behind a firewall and has only very restricted access. I have recently had to allow it to access the following FQDNs to be able to have the hibernation function work.
asustor.com
http://www.asustor.com
developer.asustor.com
apns.asustor.com
update.asustor.com

However, it also wants to access other domains at certain times, some of these are as follows. It seems that these are related to the new EZ-Connect feature in the latest update. And, even if you have dis-abled that service by removing the check in the box, it will still access these sites. Apparently, it is creating a link between your NAS and their servers.
asustornasapi.asustor.com
myip.dtdns.com
checkip.dyndns.org
ip1.dynupdate.no-ip.com
ip.changeip.com
xip.aws.noip.net

At this point my NAS is usable as I have blocked access via my firewall, but I am disappointed in Asustor. There should not be any reason to have this thing contacting all these unneeded servers, when I do not want this functionality. Most of these servers are AWS hosted and who knows where any data is being exposed. If I wanted something that worked like Dropbox with all it's insecure features, I would just use Dropbox.
***UPDATE 2018-10-03********

***Original Post Below*********
ADM 3.1.6.RKE1
ADM 3.1.7.RKE1
ADM 3.2.1.RKU4

These versions of ADM have changed something and now do not work properly to allow the system to Hibernate. I posted a ticket to Asustor on 9/22, that has yet to be answered.

However, I think that I may have found out what is going on. My system is not running any Apps, nor any syncing processes. When I run the diagnostic tool, it does not show anything. I have my NAS behind a firewall that only allows it certain outside connections. I have allowed a few FQDNs to be accessed by the NAS. For example: apns.asustor.com, my mail server, and a few others. However, since the last upgrade it wants to hit some new IPs that are not on my allowed list. I suspect that these IPs are asustor update servers or something. Does anyone have a list of FQDNs that the NAS explicitly needs to access? Without a list, I have found that when unable to reach certain IPs the system will not hibernate.

Return to “[Official] For AS10XX Series”