Is it save to update ADM?

tajvdz
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Is it save to update ADM?

Post by tajvdz »

Hello,

I'm a new user of this Nas. I get the notification every tuime that there is an update for ADM available. Can i do this withou any data loss?
What are your experiences?
Two other strange things, The Asustor control center can't find my nas anymore. going to the ip address in y browser does bring me to ADM and also the files can be found in file explorer of windows 10.
The other thing is that in ADM the aopp with system informstion does nothing. You have to close adm with shutting down the window.

Twan
Antonios

Re: Is it save to update ADM?

Post by Antonios »

What version are you running now?

Less than 3.0? (If you're lucky)

The following might be a minority opinion in here, but I firmly believe that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' that means if there is something a newer ADM version does and you absolutely need that feature to work, then it 'might' be worth the RISK of updating. Taking a FULL backup beforehand and all that.

Also, keep in mind that if you update and you don't like it or some other feature(s) that used to work now is (are) broken, there is NO WAY BACK to the older properly working version, not sure why they fixed it that way, maybe they need as many forced testers of their newer versions as they can force or something.

Oh, and if you're feeling lucky, you can just go on and upgrade, even set it to auto upgrade without asking at all. (joking)

Just my 2c.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

IMHO, if you aren't updating when new releases come out, you aren't fixing the issues that those updates address.

It has been over 2 years since Asustor screwed up and released an update that wasn't ready for prime time. I honestly think they learned from that mistake. (Which is why they now have the Beta program.) The Beta catches most (if not all) of the errors on a proposed release, now. Prior to the Beta program being in place, there was no QA participation from the users until after a production released had been made available. That changed, and the quality of production releases increased dramatically.

That said, I update my production streaming NAS every time there is an update available. I participate in the Beta from time to time as well. (Not always, since I think others should share that burden as well.)
tajvdz

Post by tajvdz »

The ADM version that is running now is: 3.0.3.RAI4
The update they want me to install everytime I open ADM is: 3.0.4.RCQ1
I use my nas for storage and making a backup is not an option. So can I do this update without any risk of data loss?

I pointed out some problems in my first message. That worked just fine before but not anymore. I think this is since the update message shows up.
Antonios

Post by Antonios »

Mate, there is no such thing as a risk-free upgrade on anything that holds valuable data. No such thing.

Now if it was an empty NAS and one wants to play with it, to see what happens etc, then sure, install everything that comes out, what harm can come of it? But reading the 'active topics' in here, for the last few months, reveal a different story.

Sure, they can roll out updates as often they want, I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a problem with them forcing me to stay on each subsequent version or go higher. So what happens when they break some important feature, wait until they get around to fix it again, in the next upgrade, 'maybe' ? There is no real reason or excuse or whatever you want to call it for this. They should offer a downgrade tool, but no! After updating many people complain here about this and that not working, disks not spinning down any more, some lost all data, and for what?

Tell me a reason to mess up a critical storage system that works reliably and does the things I need done, because someone at Asustor thinks so? Not good enough.

Updates done for my own good? Yea, right. Believe me, I am old enough and been around developers enough to know better. Sure, sometimes they can get it right, then all you need is find that version where they got it right and stick with it, we are talking about NASes, not some toy, depends of course what each user keeps on it, anyways some people may regard a NAS as another toy, I have no problem with that either.

The way I see it they should make the effort or hire the personnel to test these things properly and not just roll them out and forcing them on users so they find out the bugs and 'maybe' fix them next time and maybe introduce some new bugs and so on and so forth, keeping the whole developer team occupied and happy rolling out update after update.

Unfortunately this is what developers do, already wrote all about it elsewhere, no need to write it all over again, it's what they do, their job, that's all.

You think developers and end users share common interests? Well, think again.

Just my 2c.
tajvdz

Post by tajvdz »

well I don't use any app yet. I use this nas for a few weeks now.
But what I said. There are some problems now so I hope they will be solved after the upgrade. But the only thing that stops me from doing that is that i'm afraid of losing data on my hard disk. This isn't a very big update or not?
tajvdz

Post by tajvdz »

I did the update and everything that didn't work before is working again! So the update was necassary!
peixoto1970

Post by peixoto1970 »

After last ADM upgrade my NAS is a bunch of ...., The NAS hangs after "disk removed" error, Tested the disks, bought new one, reset and initialized everything.

It was working fine before upgrade, now is useless. I am not the only one with this problem.

We really need downgrade option.

Return to “[Official] For AS10XX Series”