AS1002T and Disk Hibernate / no Spindown

dergilb
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS1002T and Disk Hibernate / no Spindown

Post by dergilb »

Hi! Got a new AS1002T Nas and having some issues with HDD hibernate.
First, there is no additional App installed, only default apps. Running services are SMB and FTP, thats all.
I installed two Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDDs, hibernate timer is set to 15min.
I also checked the hibernate diagnostics tool, it does not report any errors. After short time of inactivity, the HDDs heads are going into parking mode (but thats a thing of HDDs firmware i think). Even after hours in head praking mode, there is no spindown (parking = no kind of access).
When accessing the NAS again and the heads resume from parking mode, AiMaster (for iphone) tells me "Bay1/2 has resumed from hibernation...". But as said, Hdds are spinning.
Any ideas? :|

BTW: external USB drives will spindown / shut off :roll: (but i think this is related to internal mechanisms of the external drive, because they shut down earlier than specified in ADM)

Additional info: tested an older Samsung 1TB drive. It does spindown! hmmmm
orion

Re: AS1002T and Disk Hibernate / no Spindown

Post by orion »

Sounds like that the HDD (Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD) behaves differently. You'd better to send a support request to asustor to check if there are other ways to achieve it. https://support.asustor.com/
dergilb

Post by dergilb »

Yes, i already did three days ago. They seem not to care much about support.
another ticket is open since 8 days.... shame on asustor. think im going for synology
MonsMagnus

Post by MonsMagnus »

Interesting, I never considered that the brand of HDD may be causing my 6202T to not spindown as well. I too am using Seagate Ironwolf (6TB) drives and the diagnostic does not show anything keeping them active either. Wish Asustor would really look into this, I opened a ticket a long time ago and got the distinct impression that this issue is way down the priority list for them, so I haven't followed up on it. Of course to be honest, it's pretty far down my priority list as well.
dergilb

Post by dergilb »

Feedback from our Support:
"Thanks for contacting.
For the issue mentioned, please note the Seagate IronWolf hard drive was not listed in our AS-1 series compatibility list:
https://www.asustor.com/en/service/hd?id=hd
Please use compatible hard drive to see if problem persist.

Please don't be hesitate to contact if you got further question."

They dont even know their own list.... it is listet there also for AS10 series. Thats what i call "support" -_-
MonsMagnus

Post by MonsMagnus »

dergilb wrote:Feedback from our Support:
"Thanks for contacting.
For the issue mentioned, please note the Seagate IronWolf hard drive was not listed in our AS-1 series compatibility list:
https://www.asustor.com/en/service/hd?id=hd
Please use compatible hard drive to see if problem persist.

Please don't be hesitate to contact if you got further question."

They dont even know their own list.... it is listet there also for AS10 series. Thats what i call "support" -_-

But for the record, they ARE listed as being compatible for the AS6202T....
dergilb

Post by dergilb »

They are listetet for "All" devices...
Im curious what he will say next. Maybe in 3 days, or never.
Tomorrow i get my Synology ds216j. Lets see if this works better.
dergilb

Post by dergilb »

Sooooooo. ADM 3.0 was released today. Now the spindown works like it should.
The Synology DS216j was able to hibernate out of the box, also it seems to adjust the head parking, so its not parking every second.
Overall the Synology is much more silent because the Hdds are mounted in rubber plugs, this reduces access noise. The fan will shut off when idle.
Wenn placing a thin rubber band between the hdd and the frame, the asustor ist nearly as same silent.
Jdownloader works finde at Synology and you can install new java releases very easy.
If the price is the same, the DS216J is superior to AS1002t. But i bought the Asustor for half the price :D. Will test both for some days and then decide.
Maybe i find a way to stop the Asustor fan when its idle...
tortor

Post by tortor »

Hi!

Is the problem solved? I have a similar one: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=9475

Return to “[Official] For AS10XX Series”