NAS in Uninitialized state after upgrading hard disks

mlindgren
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NAS in Uninitialized state after upgrading hard disks

Post by mlindgren »

I have an AS 1004T-7BA7 NAS. I recently tried to replace the hard disks from 4x 2TB drives in RAID 5 to 4x 8TB. I followed the instructions here: I replaced each disk one by one, waiting for the RAID to resync after replacing each disk. Once the resync completed on the final disk, I clicked "Expand Capacity" but nothing happened. After waiting a bit and seeing no indication that it was working, I thought maybe the UI was bugged, so I rebooted my NAS from the ADM power menu. After rebooting, the NAS now says that it is uninitialized.

I submitted a support ticket about this, but after the initial response, I haven't received another message in over a week.

Everything was working before the reboot, so I think my data is still intact. But now the only option the web UI gives me is to re-initialize the NAS, and it warns "All data stored on hard drives inside will be erased and WILL NOT be able to be recovered. Please back up important data before initializing your NAS." I don't have another machine I can plug the drives into to try to access the RAID array, though. I do have SSH access, but since the NAS runs a fairly limited busybox-based distro all of the suggested tools I've found so far are unavailable.

How can I restore my NAS and not lose my data?
orion

Re: NAS in Uninitialized state after upgrading hard disks

Post by orion »

What's your ticket number? I can forward this forum anchor to their support guys.
And it's better that you can reply the old ticket again to push them working hard.
mlindgren

Post by mlindgren »

Hi, the ticket number is 41030.

I will reply again and ask for an update.
orion

Post by orion »

mm... I got their response. It seems that they were waiting for your reply after they responded to you?! I don't know what's the problem. You'd better to check your mail in garbage section?! Or you'll need to create another ticket (and describe the old ticket number)?!
mlindgren

Post by mlindgren »

Thanks for following up. I received their initial reply on May 9th, but I haven't received anything since then. I double-checked my junk email and searched for all email from @asustor.com addresses, and nothing came up. I suspect my email replies to them did not go through.

I realized that I can log in to the ASUSTOR support website and reply through there, so I did that. Hopefully I'll get a response soon.

Return to “[Official] For AS10XX Series”