It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:49 am
All times are UTC + 8 hours

Recovering a volume

Re: Recovering a volume

Postby orion » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:19 am

sandro_rocha wrote:I just need one more tip: after creating md8, which command do I give to be able to access the volume? Knowing this would help me a lot in the future, in case something like this happens again.

It's easy to mount devices:
Code: Select all
mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/md8 /mnt/tmp

If the command is successful, you should be able to see your files under /mnt/tmp (of course, you can change to any other place).
orion

Postby sandro_rocha » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:39 am

Good Morning. I copied the files from the defective disk 1 to the healthy disk 2. I shut down the NAS, removed the defective disk, installed a good disk, started the NAS and nothing happened. I followed the instructions to boot the NAS, reinstalled ADM on disk 1 and, after it reboots, volume 2 (disk 2) is inaccessible. What's the problem? Why didn't the system recognize volume 2 on disk 2? What do I do? Was this supposed to happen?
sandro_rocha

Postby orion » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 am

Re-initialization should put NAS into initial state. It means that NAS won't remember any volumes. Don't worry, your volume-2 is still safe. You should boot up with the old disks (old disk1 and old disk2). After NAS bootup, replace disk1 with the new one (Oh, it might be tricky for your AS1xxx model. Mine is hot-swappable model). Then follow the guide here: https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/124/0/how-to-replace-hard-drive-when-its-damaged
orion

Postby sandro_rocha » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:13 am

orion wrote:Re-initialization should put NAS into initial state. It means that NAS won't remember any volumes. Don't worry, your volume-2 is still safe. You should boot up with the old disks (old disk1 and old disk2). After NAS bootup, replace disk1 with the new one (Oh, it might be tricky for your AS1xxx model. Mine is hot-swappable model). Then follow the guide here: https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/124/0/how-to-replace-hard-drive-when-its-damaged

Good Morning. I didn't know that I could remove the disk with the NAS connected, after all, in mine, the disks are attached by screws. I ended up doing it the hard way, I created a mount point using the mdadm command mentioned earlier and copied the data to the new disk 1. But it is a new learning.

ps: I didn't understand the instructions very well. Do I start the NAS with the old disks and simply remove disk 1 and insert a new disk and recreate volume 1 or do I need to remove the old volume 1 before replacing disk 1? The tutorial is a bit vague in the details.

Thank you for your help.
sandro_rocha

Postby orion » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 am

sandro_rocha wrote:ps: I didn't understand the instructions very well. Do I start the NAS with the old disks and simply remove disk 1 and insert a new disk and recreate volume 1 or do I need to remove the old volume 1 before replacing disk 1? The tutorial is a bit vague in the details.

Yes, simply remove disk-1 and insert a new disk when NAS is still working. It's the first step in the tutorial (And, yes, it's indeed vague from my point of view. NAS must not be shutdown in this step. The tutorial should highlight it. Most of us will shutdown NAS for safe, then replace disk). The second step is to remove volume-1.
orion

Previous

Return to [Official] For AS10XX Series