Can Asustor boot from USB or CD?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

rvmeush
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can Asustor boot from USB or CD?

Post by rvmeush »

I was interested in finding out if the Asustor can be configured to boot from a USB device. Is there a BIOS in the system that can be accessed to possibly change the boot order for connected devices?

Thanks.
father.mande

Re: Can Asustor boot from USB or CD?

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
rvmeush wrote:I was interested in finding out if the Asustor can be configured to boot from a USB device. Is there a BIOS in the system that can be accessed to possibly change the boot order for connected devices?
Thanks.
If you model is a x86 or x86_64 series ... YES ... BUT you can't start A.D.M. from the USB ... you can use it for debugging (more tools) or for recovering some data

So the response CAN'T be complete before we know what you want to do ... ...

here, an example of using USB boot to solve some problems : viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10117#p32691

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
rvmeush

Post by rvmeush »

Thanks for the link; that was very interesting.

The NAS I have is an AS3204T which uses an Intel Celeron quad core processor. I was trying to find out if I could boot into a Ubuntu or some other common Linux system. My goal was to see if I could get Linux to mount a disk with an EXT4 file system and at the same time mount a disk with an NFS files system, in order to do some high speed file copies from one disk to the other. I know that I could do this using an external disk dock, but I thought it would be much faster without using a dock.

My thought was that in order to boot a vanilla Linux system I would need to change the boot order in the BIOS in order to boot from USB or external CD.

Any further suggestions you have would be appreciated.
orion

Post by orion »

It's more like a x86 PC. You should connect a monitor and an USB keyboard. Press "F2" (or may be "ESC") during boot up to enter BIOS menu.

Return to “[Official] For AS31XX/ AS32XX Series”