Free disk space isn't being reclaimed when files are deleted

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ilike2burnthing
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Free disk space isn't being reclaimed when files are deleted

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Not really sure when this issue started, but I noticed it yesterday.

If I delete files on the NAS, or move them to a local computer, the free space doesn't change, but adding files does decrease the free space. I've removed dozens of gigabytes, and it's still sitting at only 14.48GB free. There's only 1 recycle bin set up (for the Backup folder), and it's empty.

Removing a snapshot doesn't change the total size taken by Volume Snapshot, or free space. However, this also alerted me to the fact that no new snapshots have been made since April 2020, despite being set to remove the oldest unlocked snapshot, and none of the snapshots are locked.

Disk Doctor shows both drives are healthy, Dr. ASUSTOR shows no issues, File System Scrubbing found 0b needing repaired, restarting doesn't resolve the issue.

AS3102T, ADM 4.0.0.RN53, 2x2TB WD Black
father.mande

Re: Free disk space isn't being reclaimed when files are deleted

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Did you empty the network recycle bin ? ...because as usual deleting a file just move to recycle bin
... settings / network recycle bin ... tab : Empty Recycle Bin

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
ilike2burnthing

Yes, with it set to Delete All Files, no difference.
ilike2burnthing

OK, so quick update. I deleted one of the snapshots to see if a new one would be created according to the schedule, it wasn't.

I decided to then delete all the snapshots and disable the scheduled backup task, then re-enable it and let it create a new snapshot at midnight. Upon doing so (but before the new snapshot was created), the webUI became very sluggish and I honestly got worried for a moment. But after a few minutes I saw that I had ~360GB of free space. Happy days!

A new snapshot has also now been created as per the schedule.

I'll have to keep an eye on it for a while, and I still have no idea what happened, but I seem to be out of the woods for now. *knock on wood*

If anyone has any idea what the issue was/is, please let me know, as I really don't want it to happen again.

Return to “[Official] For AS31XX/ AS32XX Series”