Lost ADM GUI after updating to the latest version 2017, Sep. 9th

zumpen
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Lost ADM GUI after updating to the latest version 2017, Sep. 9th

Post by zumpen »

Hi!

My 3104 NAS is booting after updating the ADM to the latest version, but after booting it is just showing a black background with a white pointer. No ADM at all.

How to solve this? Is it possible to boot from a USB-drive with an older version of ADM? If so, where to find it? Asustor.com/support only has the latest version for download. I know that google is your friend but I haven't found any older version by googling yet...

TIA!
Antonios

Re: Lost ADM GUI after updating

Post by Antonios »

Can't go back to a previous version because file structure is changed, this is mentioned in the release notes, but if the update is performed automatically or by just clicking 'Update' on the nagging pop-up message that appears every time you log-in, then you'll only find out this little detail when it is too late.

The way I see it, Asustor should offer in such cases of a major update which by design prohibits going back to a previous version,

EITHER an automated tool to restore previous file structure, thus allowing installation of previous version,

OR a detailed manual procedure to the same effect,

AND make available the previous ADM files for those who have not kept them.

Short of that, they should put a software flag in major updates that completely blocks automatic installation and in manual mode forces the user to read and re-read the release notes and then ask the user confirm a few times that he understands he can't go back to previous version if things go south or some critical functionality for that specific user gets broken by this update etc.

I really like seeing software developers taking this route instead of letting users sort it out the hard way, this is not good policy for any company in the long term imho.

Just my 2c.
orion

Re: Lost ADM GUI after updating to the latest version 2017, Sep. 9th

Post by orion »

zumpen wrote:Hi!

My 3104 NAS is booting after updating the ADM to the latest version, but after booting it is just showing a black background with a white pointer. No ADM at all.

How to solve this? Is it possible to boot from a USB-drive with an older version of ADM? If so, where to find it? Asustor.com/support only has the latest version for download. I know that google is your friend but I haven't found any older version by googling yet...

TIA!
I guess you mean the HDMI output from NAS. You'll need to go to ADM web page -> AppCentral to upgrade asustor portal related applications. Those apps are disabled after upgraded to 3.0.
zumpen

Post by zumpen »

"I guess you mean the HDMI output from NAS. You'll need to go to ADM web page -> AppCentral to upgrade asustor portal related applications. Those apps are disabled after upgraded to 3.0."

How can I do that? I can't do anything on that black screen.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

zumpen wrote:"I guess you mean the HDMI output from NAS. You'll need to go to ADM web page -> AppCentral to upgrade asustor portal related applications. Those apps are disabled after upgraded to 3.0."

You have to log into the NAS from your computer using the Asustor Control Center (unless you know the IP.)

From there you go to App Central and either update the apps, or remove them and re-add them. You can't do anything from the TV unless you have a working ASPortal and have the NAS ADM page book marked on it.

I wouldn't advise making changes through the TV in any case, even if you have the ADM setup with a shortcut on ASPortal. Too many chances of something going wrong and no way to fix it.
zumpen

Post by zumpen »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:
zumpen wrote:"I guess you mean the HDMI output from NAS. You'll need to go to ADM web page -> AppCentral to upgrade asustor portal related applications. Those apps are disabled after upgraded to 3.0."

You have to log into the NAS from your computer using the Asustor Control Center (unless you know the IP.)

From there you go to App Central and either update the apps, or remove them and re-add them. You can't do anything from the TV unless you have a working ASPortal and have the NAS ADM page book marked on it.

I wouldn't advise making changes through the TV in any case, even if you have the ADM setup with a shortcut on ASPortal. Too many chances of something going wrong and no way to fix it.
Thanks! I used the App Central from my computer to update Asustor Portal, and now it is working as before. HDMI to the TV, and ADM GUI! :D

Return to “[Official] For AS31XX/ AS32XX Series”