SMB, AFP Share dropping offline

rtessenear
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

SMB, AFP Share dropping offline

Post by rtessenear »

All, I just configured a new AS6208T, updated ADM to current, configured a single Raid 5 volume with five 10TB drives (they are compatible, I checked), the system is currently at 23% with the volume synchronization. I created a singe Media share and made sure the permissions were set correctly. I also created a new account specifically for that share. I enabled SMB V3 and AFP in the services. I am trying to copy a large amount of data the the new NAS from my old NAS (12TB). I can connect to the Media share using AFP or SMB no problem. I can copy small files no problem. When I attempt to dump a large amount of data, the share drops offline. Any help would be appreciated. I also assume I can use the NAS when the volume is still synchronizing.

1. Raid 5 Volume 1 36TB
2. Media share created and permissions assigned
3. Current ADM installed 2.7.3
4. SMB V3 and AFP enabled
5. Netwrok is closed to a local switch (flat) no external comms.
6. Old NAS is stable and has never dropped offline
7. Volume is still synchronizing.
8. No errors in the log.
Antonios

Re: SMB, AFP Share dropping offline

Post by Antonios »

I would wait until it finishes building the array.

Or do very lightweight things until then.
rtessenear

Post by rtessenear »

I agree, that is what I did. What i noticed now is if I drop files into the Media folder through file explorer, it copies the files. I do notice that it will transfer between 120-150Mbs; however, it will drop to 7.5 or 12Mbs for a second then spike back up. Is that a buffer thing? I was able to transfer 56Gb of data in about 6min on a single GigE interface. I still find the SMB share will drop offline when trying to do more than a Terabyte of data (drive syncing is complete and the volume is good). Using file explorer in the ADM is stable. I am transfer data from an older Buffalo NAS to the new Asustore. The old Buffalo SAN is fast and never given me issues. The SMB share as been up and never dropped offline.
Antonios

Post by Antonios »

For such transfers I would not route data through any computer if at all possible, no reason for data to move back and forth in the network.

NAS to NAS I would look into mounting one NAS's shares to the other, then use NAS's embedded explorer for the transfer, data would only have to move in one direction once.

https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... s-via-cifs
rtessenear

Post by rtessenear »

I agree that NAS to NAS would have been the best option. I did not think it could be done. Tested it and it worked great; however, I had already completed the data transfer via AFP.
rtessenear

Post by rtessenear »

Dumb question could you do the SAN to SAN via iSCSI vice CIFS? Remove File explore from the equation.

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”