FAN control on AS6204T

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

sksbir
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: FAN control on AS6204T

Post by sksbir »

MAPT wrote:In NAS MotherBoard BIOS all fan control function are disabled, from which I conclude that the fan is controlled by script in ADM, based on readings of temperature sensors on CPU\MB or the hard disk temperature values in SMART (parameter 194). Fan speed is set by utility "fanctrl -setfanpwm fan_ID PWM_value", HDD temp I can get from "smartctl" utility output. And by all signs script run at every 1-2 seconds, because when you try to set the fan speed command "fanctrl -setfanpwm fan[0] 132", fan speed increase and then decrease again after 2 seconds........
Interesting :)

Too bad that Asustor not take seriously this problem into account with a better "auto" fan control . Today, auto fan control is nothing, it's always 700rpm with one disk at 37°C or two disks at 41°C and 47°C ( both disks are in compatibility list )

Because of lack of precise fan control , I would like to change fan speed manually, lower it when DD are idle, and higher it when working.
dkobelak

Post by dkobelak »

interesting.. i just checked my as6204 and my drives are at 53c.. i looked at my as5104 and the drives are 42c...
AS-5104T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 4x3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300;BIOS: v1.21 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
AS-6204T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 3x8TB Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022;BIOS: v2.23 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
jauling

Post by jauling »

FYI, I noticed my fan was still spinning at ~500 RPM on my AS5104T, even though my NAS temperatures seemed a bit high:
System Temperature: 47 °C
CPU Temperature: 60 °C

I've since set the fan to high, which resulted in much cooler operation:
System Temperature: 40 °C
CPU Temperature: 48 °C
Fan Speed: 1781 RPM

We don't have air conditioning in NL, and it has hit 35 °C for a couple days in a row. I reached out the Asustor Support, and after a bit of back and forth extracted this answer from them:
When the FAN setting as auto, it will monitor the temperature.

When the HDD or System reaches 75C it will start activating the FAN to cool down.

If the system detects the temperature does not decrease, it will slowly increase the FAN speed.

At 90C the FAN will hit it's maximum speed.
Those thresholds really seem ridiculously high! Even though my NAS is in a closet, I prefer not to run the fan on high constantly, but maybe it's NBD? I will be taking a look at the fan script that @sksbir wrote...
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

this topic is pretty old.
with my fan control script, fan is about 2200 to 2400 rpm, with hottest disk reaching 46C, and about 28C in the room...
Whtnite95

Post by Whtnite95 »

I am having the same issue with my brand new AS-6208T. Temp on cpu runs at 60c when I have the fan control on auto. Plus when I set the fans to mediumto get the cpu temp down to 40-43c it will not allow the NAS to go into sleep mode. I put the NAS into sleep mode at the end of the night and it goes into sleep mode then immediately powers back on. But if I set the fans to auto it will go into sleep mode and stay in sleep mode till I wake it up. I never had this issue with my AS=606T i upgraded from and I had to run it also on medium speed on the fans to keep the cpu temp down.
orion

Post by orion »

Whtnite95 wrote:I am having the same issue with my brand new AS-6208T. Temp on cpu runs at 60c when I have the fan control on auto. Plus when I set the fans to mediumto get the cpu temp down to 40-43c it will not allow the NAS to go into sleep mode. I put the NAS into sleep mode at the end of the night and it goes into sleep mode then immediately powers back on. But if I set the fans to auto it will go into sleep mode and stay in sleep mode till I wake it up. I never had this issue with my AS=606T i upgraded from and I had to run it also on medium speed on the fans to keep the cpu temp down.
Sleep mode should not be linked to FAN speed. That's very odd (If FAN sets to medium and put NAS into sleep mode, NAS goes on immediately?!). My NAS is just fine. I think you should report this issue to asustor directly. https://support.asustor.com/

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”