Replacing linux distro (Debian, Ubuntu)

edumarzolla
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Replacing linux distro (Debian, Ubuntu)

Post by edumarzolla »

Dear all,

My NAS is a Asustor AS6202T.
I would like to use my NAS for automatic backup files from other computers (so I neet to use sshpass not present on Asustor).
My old NAS was a slow Netgear Stora, and I replaced the linux distro to Debian Wheezy. Whith Whezzy, I can install everything I need with "apt-get"... and also compyle with gcc.

My question: Is it possible to replace the linux distro of my AS6202T to Debian Wheezy? (or another popular Linux disto?

Thank you very much,

Eduardo
father.mande

Re: Replacing linux distro (Debian, Ubuntu)

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Don't know if it's "possible" and if yes "easy" ... but at all the platform is pretty standard ... so only some adaptation to the hardware and disk or flash used ... have to be done ...

BUT perhaps you can have other solutions ...
get sshpass from an Ubuntu 14.04 and use it, as is, in Asustor (tested on ADM 2.6) ... sure that sshpass from previous version ...like "old" wheezy can be use (now it's more Debian Jessie ... the current version)
Or
for ex. use empty to generate a simple script (available in Entware APKG) ... this tool permit to automatize exchange on lot of protocol including ssh
Or
include in Asustor a chroot of any (so also old wheezy) Linux distribution ... after apt-get and all software will be available ...
... mounting in bind mode folder or share permit to use any kind of software (ex. backup of existing share or folder)
... adding a Xvfb + x11vnc permit also on ANY ASUSTOR (even without graphic output) to have a X server interface to run program requiring X GUI
Or
Use any pre-build chroot ... for ex. if your system support asportal : hx-engine or hd-engine APKG ... and add what you want ...

Etc. etc. ... advantage of a Linux box (like Asustor) is that you can have multiple solution for any problem ... :lol:
So perhaps explain in detail what you want to do and perhaps somebody (from Asustor or from community) can help you and prevent the use of the unsecured sshpass ... to move to another solution ... or NOT ...

Sometimes .. coming with a question can be better that coming with a solution and require a how-to to do it ... :D :D

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
edumarzolla

Post by edumarzolla »

Hi Philippe, can you please also tell me how to get sshpass from an Ubuntu 14.04 and use it?
This is my first day with my Asustor - no experience on this wonderful NAS.
Please try to explain step-by-step beacuse and I will re-use your information in other needs that I have...

Thanks,

Edu
edumarzolla

Post by edumarzolla »

Hi Philippe. You are the man!!!!
I installed Entware. Via opkg I installed lot of apps I was needing, such as nano, gcc and make. So I downlaoded sshpass sources and compiled it. Now my sshpass is working and I am happy again with this linux distro - at least I can install the apps I need.
Thank you so much!!!!!!
Bye!
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
edumarzolla wrote:Hi Philippe, can you please also tell me how to get sshpass from an Ubuntu 14.04 and use it?
This is my first day with my Asustor - no experience on this wonderful NAS.
Please try to explain step-by-step because and I will re-use your information in other needs that I have...

Thanks,
Edu
You have one solution and it's good (even needing Entware-ng (to have the libs))

sshpass is in a fact a small program with very few number of lib require ... and all are available in the Asustor Linux delivery
... if you have an Ubuntu 14.04 (architecture conform to Asustor x86, x86_64 or armhf) ... just copy the sshpass on Asustor and change access right (exec)
... if you don't have one get the package (deb) and extract it (ex. 7zip on Windows or Linux ... ) get the file

The only point is to select a place where sshpass don't risk to be cleared at boot
... /opt/bin even if this don't use Entware
... any share with a link in /usr/local/bin for ex. (to do in profile file of the user you need (admin, root, etc.)

If you do this for more complex program :
solution 1 use a chroot (so ALL be coherent)
solution 2 copy the program(s) then use ldd to identify missing libs and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (just create a wrapper with the name of the program that call the real exec with the good environment)

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”