Heavy RAM usage?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

nero78
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Heavy RAM usage?

Post by nero78 »

Today my NAS is a bit weird. Can't connect via AiData and different aspects of the ADM gui is unresponsive.

I see that the RAM cached bar is almost maxed. Can't see any indication on the Process tab about whats using all this RAM...

Is this a problem? How can i see what is caching all this ram?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (73.01 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
MikeG.6.5

Re: Heavy RAM usage?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

The cache is doing exactly what you want it to do. It's caching info off the HDD's based on the recent usage of that data, so it can get sent to the client device faster.

There is a small utility that can be used to clear cache, but it's going to have an adverse affect on the NAS over-all.
nero78

Post by nero78 »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:The cache is doing exactly what you want it to do. It's caching info off the HDD's based on the recent usage of that data, so it can get sent to the client device faster.

There is a small utility that can be used to clear cache, but it's going to have an adverse affect on the NAS over-all.
Ok, so no worries then :) Thanks for your reply
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Mine has the same cache even though I have 10GB RAM. My NAS is very responsive so it does not seem to influence.
擷取.PNG
擷取.PNG (32.72 KiB) Viewed 7361 times
nero78

Post by nero78 »

Kerry wrote:Mine has the same cache even though I have 10GB RAM. My NAS is very responsive so it does not seem to influence.
擷取.PNG
Ok. it's the same that windows does. I didnt think linux did this.

Found out why my system was a bit sluggish. Was not the memory.

Thanks for reply guys.
BeastMTL

Post by BeastMTL »

The previous post is correct in that it is normal behavior.
Although I have done some tweaks on my end (still a linux newbie)
that has helped system responsiveness. I am not an expert, so please take this with a ocean of salt.

1. Changed swappiness from 60 to 0
- cache is managed by the linux kernel and default setting is 60. Since I am still working on
bringing my content onto it, there are a lot of file uploads happening.
After some digging, found out that it was highly likely that some libraries were being forced
into disk cache to accommodate files, which caused the system performance to be rather sluggish

2. Added a cron job to clean up the cache once a day at 1am.

It hasn't been long enough so I can recommend doing this yet. But I have noticed better performance
out of my system. But that could be coincidental or wishful thinking.

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”