Constant disk activity

nero78
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Constant disk activity

Post by nero78 »

torarnek wrote:I have no idea how long it will take. Maybe a few days. I guess it is also important to turn spin-down off, because that stops the "formatting process".

Some info from the mkfs.ext4 man pages:
If enabled and the uninit_bg feature is enabled, the inode table will not be fully initialized by mke2fs. This speeds up file system initialization noticeably, but it requires the kernel to finish initializing the file system in the background when the file system is first mounted. If the option value is omitted, it defaults to 1 to enable lazy inode table zeroing.

More about Lazy Initialization:
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Ex ... ialization
Not sure if this is the solution for my problem since my disk is almost full, so no formatting should run anymore. It's been on for a few days also. Spin-down doesen't work for me. It never spins down... :cry:
orion

Post by orion »

The sound indeed comes from HDD. Did you do a HDD SMART scan before? That could be disk scan check internally.
nero78

Post by nero78 »

orion wrote:The sound indeed comes from HDD. Did you do a HDD SMART scan before? That could be disk scan check internally.
Yes have done a SMART check...
orion

Post by orion »

nero78 wrote: Yes have done a SMART check...
Sounds the task had completed, right? It's better to check if the task is still on going. Under ADM web page -> Storage -> Disk -> SMART scan.
nero78

Post by nero78 »

orion wrote:
nero78 wrote: Yes have done a SMART check...
Sounds the task had completed, right? It's better to check if the task is still on going. Under ADM web page -> Storage -> Disk -> SMART scan.
The task has completed.

I just put in 2 new disks now. I didn't do anything to them (no raid creation or format) and they make the same rythmic sounds... Something is just spamming the disk for no reason it seems :?
orion

Post by orion »

nero78 wrote: The task has completed.

I just put in 2 new disks now. I didn't do anything to them (no raid creation or format) and they make the same rythmic sounds... Something is just spamming the disk for no reason it seems :?
Oops, sounds weird. However the test implies it is not caused by installed NAS applications. I guess it might be caused by the compatibility of HDD status check command (hdparm). What's your HDD model? You should report it to asustor http://support.asustor.com/.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

Hi
I noticed this new problem with ADM 2.5.3.RE23 . I think it was not here with ADM 2.5.1
nero78

Post by nero78 »

sksbir wrote:Hi
I noticed this new problem with ADM 2.5.3.RE23 . I think it was not here with ADM 2.5.1
ok. interesting! Is it every 7-8 seconds like in my video? Let's hope 2.6 fixes this :)
torarnek

Post by torarnek »

Maybe try to downgrade to 2.5.1? It might take some time before 2.6 as it is in beta.
nero78

Post by nero78 »

Today i put 2 more disks into my NAS as I wrote in previous post. The NAS is building a RAID5 array now. But the thing is that first it has to build a RAID1 (mirror) and then it migrates into a RAID5. Now only two of my disks has activity and the third is doing nothing and it has now gone into spindown mode. The weird thing is that this third disk who is in standby or spindown mode has its status led blinking in exactly 7-8 seconds!!! This can't be a coinsidence??

There is a new FW now, but as my raid is building I cannot upgrade yet. Maybe any of you can test?

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”