DOM failure

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

pipeolo
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

DOM failure

Post by pipeolo »

Hello everybody.
I own a 6104T and some months ago I had a problem with the 512MB DOM module. I have been able to find a new one but really don't know how to reinstall the system on it.
Did anyone here deal with it? :evil: I obtained from support an AS-6.DOM.Rescue.USB.img and some instruction but I'm not able to restore it.

Any help will be really appreciate.
Pipeolo
Nazar78

Re: DOM failure

Post by Nazar78 »

I've never get a chance to use this dom rescue, fortunately. Which part of the instructions failed and what errors did you see? I think it's possible to dd write the image onto the dom. I've made a backup of mine but I'm using a different model.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
pipeolo

Post by pipeolo »

Hi Nazar78,
thanks for your reply.

I give you this link where you can download the rescue image and an explanation doc.
If you mount the image you will see there is a firmware folder with a TP2 file inside (don't know what TP2 is).

http://support.myasustor.com:18900/port ... 08Ij09gSW0

Unfortunatly, following the instruction, it doesn't work for me so I entered in the NAS Bios, deactivted the quick boot and tried to manually boot.
When you choose the option "BOOT from file" you will find the asloader.efi and if you run it, GRUB gives you 4 options... I tried all but with no resoluts.
See grub.cfg in boot folder.

Next I tried to use GRUB from command line
linux (hd0,2)/bzImage console=ttyS0,115200n8
initrd (hd0,2)/initramfs

And then I stopped here... I would like to run the script mkFW.sh but don't know how to do that... I am not so expert with Linux. :(

I also tried to use nas with external drive where I installed Ubuntu first then Debian... Everything is ok... but Ethernet Cards are not recognized...that is strange....
So finally I'm thinking to use an USB/ETH adapter and use the NAS with Ubuntu on It but what about RAID? What is going to happen if I reconnect by 4 HD in RAID 6 configuration?
I don't want to loose 6TB data! :( :( :(

Hope you can give me some precious suggestion.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

The link is not working. I'm not confident to give you advise blindly sorry. Asustor support should be able to advise why your recovery doesn't work.

For eth mine loads ok with ubuntu. Maybe you can look at the dmesg what's wrong with it? Probably need to manually load its module. See ethtool -i ethX (where X is your eth0 or eth1) if there's anything printed especially the driver details which you can try find or compile.

You should be able to see your raid 6 in ubuntu/debian, mdadm will auto assemble your array and mount them. Just don't ever try reinitializing the disks if it contains your data. Use the gui gnome disks to see the layout better.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
pipeolo

Post by pipeolo »

I made a file transfer. If you want you can download from this link. https://www.transfernow.net/LR0VCu122020

Regarding Asustor support I am sorry to say that but they helped me not too much. I tried to explain the problem at my best but at the end I had to quit. I also asked for a new DOM with firmware already on or to send the NAS for repairing but they told me my NAS was too old.
They suggested me to use ACC to discover the NAS but no way... nothing found. That let me think NICs are gone :(
You can imagine my frustation... I have a 500€ NAS with a family life on it... unusefull .... :(
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Understand your frustrations. It might be the warranty is already expired for an over 4 years old product.

I'll take a look at the attachment when I'm free, hopefully someone experienced could help chime in.

While that lets try to recover your data. You mentioned you managed to boot Ubuntu/Debian off a USB? Else prepare a bootable Live USB using the latest Ubuntu Desktop. Boot it up on your NAS and see if you can see your raid 6 array. If you don't see it, simply try sudo mdadm --assemble --scan.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

pipeolo

Post by pipeolo »

Bad news.
Ubuntu (and Debian the same) recognizes only 2 disks of 4 (alsways the first 2). I tried to move disks 3 and 4 in place of 1 and 2 and they are recognized as well... so it seems a problem of SATA channels.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I noticed this too. The bios only recognize 2 sata but once you boot into the OS you should be able to see all 4 disks. Worst case is try to find a cheap multi bay usb 3 enclosure then let mdadm assemble them. I'm using one which works automatically while booted with Ubuntu and while with ADM manually assembled by script.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

pipeolo

Post by pipeolo »

Hi,
finally I bought as you suggested, a 4 bays USB3.0 shell and connected all disks on that. I installed mdadm in my ubuntu and tried to assemble the array. It seems ok but when I try to mount it I have this error:
mount: mnt/md1: cannot mount /dev/md1 ready-only. It seems /dev/md1 is read-only

So I asked for details on /dev/md1 and this is what I got:

mnt$ sudo mdadm -D /dev/md1
/dev/md1:
           Version : 1.2
     Creation Time : Sat May 14 20:34:15 2016
        Raid Level : raid6
        Array Size : 5851357184 (5580.29 GiB 5991.79 GB)
     Used Dev Size : 2925678592 (2790.14 GiB 2995.89 GB)
      Raid Devices : 4
     Total Devices : 4
       Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Sat Aug 29 22:32:55 2020
             State : clean
    Active Devices : 4
   Working Devices : 4
    Failed Devices : 0
     Spare Devices : 0

Layout : left-symmetric
        Chunk Size : 64K

Consistency Policy : resync

Name : AS6104T:1
              UUID : 347946c2:f5d52d25:f5abbaed:14df3487
            Events : 28350

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       4     253        1        0      active sync   /dev/dm-1
       1     253        4        1      active sync   /dev/dm-4
       2     253        7        2      active sync   /dev/dm-7
       3     253       10        3      active sync   /dev/dm-10
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

How did you assemble the array? Ok first try rebooting the system, it could be the array was stopped improperly. Check dmesg for details.

After reboot the array should get auto assembled else run:

Code: Select all

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
And if it's still in read-only, try:

Code: Select all

sudo mdadm --readwrite /dev/md1
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”