Post by Hard-Boiled »

Hi,
need some advise...

Environment :
AS62010T
Drive1 to Drive8 -> running in RAID6 mode
Drive 9 -> myArchive mode
Drive 10 -> myArchive mode

The NAS was powered on today, and i noticed later a "red light" at disk7.

Looking at "System Information" -> "Log" -> "Systemlog" it reports :
...date-time...[Disk Doctor]] Bad block scanning of Disk 7 has started
...date-time...[System] System starts
...date-time...[Disk] There is a data transfer error on sector xxx of the slot7 disk!
...date-time...[SNMP] Service started
...date-time...[SNMP] Service stopped

There is the Knowledge Base with some information :
https://support.asustor.com/index.php ... possible.

Code: Select all

For both transfer and CRC error, users are advised to have some more clarification to identify if the problem is caused by hard drives or NAS hardware.
Users can swap the error drive with another normal drive, and check if the log will report same slot error.
For example, Users found that the 1st slot reports transfer error, then he/she can shutdown the NAS, 
switch slot 1 & 2, power on the NAS again, and check if the error moves to slot 2.
If the error moves to slot2, that means this drive might have some bad sector and users might want to replace it.
If the error stays with slot1, users might have to contact with Asustor support for further investigation.
"Storage manager" reports system as "Healthy"

At the moment, the "Bad Sector" scan is running at Drive7, however, before i'm going to replace the disk with a new one, I'd like to know, whether there are options to "heal" the disk without replacing it, or, whether there are other things recommended to do

PS: Besides the "Bad block" scan, which is running at the moment, i'm also copying the data to the myArchive drives (Updating backup).

Appreciate all ideas
Thanks !
ilike2burnthing

Re: AS6210T - Red light on drive, please advise

Post by ilike2burnthing »

If it's one or just a few then you should be fine, the scan will mark them as bad and they won't be written to. If there was data there it will attempt to recover those files, but may or may not be able to.

If there are a large number of bad sectors, or over time you see the number increasing (particularly a sharp increase), then you should back up your data, stop using that disk, and replace it. As for what constitutes 'a large number', there isn't really a set limit.

Personally, single digits would having me running a scan and that's it. A few dozen and I'd be keeping an eye on good deals for disks. Anything more than that and I'd be turning off my NAS until I could get a replacement disk. In saying that though, I've seen people with a few thousand and it was still running (though obviously not for long).
orion

Post by orion »

If you are familiar with linux commands (through ssh), you can use "dd" command to write /dev/zero to "those bad sectors". You can "heal" the disk by this way. If writing is successful, congratulation, your disk might be able to sustain longer time. Otherwise, you should replace it.
Hard-Boiled

Post by Hard-Boiled »

Hi,
thanks for the feedback, the following as Update..

I did ran the "DiskDoctor" -> "BadSector"-Scan twice in the meantime.

Results :
Disk Doctor Menu is showing "Last Scan results "No Bad blocks found"

Syslog is showing :

Code: Select all

...date-time...[Disk Doctor] Badblock scanning of Disk 7 completed, 0 bad blocks found, (0/0/0 errors) <- Scan 2 end
...date-time...[Disk] There is a data transfer error on sector xx9871xx of the slot7 disk!
...date-time...[Disk Doctor]] Bad block scanning of Disk 7 has started                                 <= Scan 2
...date-time...[Disk Doctor] Badblock scanning of Disk 7 completed, 0 bad blocks found, (0/0/0 errors) <- Scan 1 end
...date-time...[Disk] There is a data transfer error on sector xx888xx of the slot7 disk!
...date-time...[Disk] There is a data transfer error on sector xx555xx of the slot7 disk!
...date-time...[Disk] There is a data transfer error on sector xx222xx of the slot7 disk!
...date-time...[Disk] There is a data transfer error on sector xx111xx of the slot7 disk!
...date-time...[Disk Doctor]] Bad block scanning of Disk 7 has started                                 <= Scan 1
...date-time...[System] System starts
...date-time...[Disk] There is a data transfer error on sector xx123xx of the slot7 disk!
...date-time...[SNMP] Service started
...date-time...[SNMP] Service stopped
The drive's LED is still RED.

Seems, DiskDoctor is fixing the BadBlocks found during a scan run, however, next run is showing NEW/OTHER sectors, so, problem seems to be increasing, even if it's reporting just "1" + "4" + "1" bad sector only, so, just a few.

However, since every runs shows new ones, i guess, disk replacement would be the option to go.

Should I "Hot Swap" the disk, or should i power-down before change drive ?

PS: with regard to linux-commands, unfortunately i'm not an expert.

Thanks again guys !
orion

Post by orion »

Hard-Boiled wrote: Should I "Hot Swap" the disk, or should i power-down before change drive ?
Yes, swap the disk directly when NAS is still working. Note: the new disk size should be greater than or equal to the old disk.

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”