setup openvpn such for Deluge but not Plex

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

spikey1973
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

setup openvpn such for Deluge but not Plex

Post by spikey1973 »

Hey All,

I am struggling here with getting my LAN setup in such a manner that i have Deluge safely routing through my openvpn (surfshark), but basically only Deluge (or any other torrenting app) and not Plex or the other apps i am running on my NAS (otherwise it is not accessible by my smart TV)

i have considered the following options:
1) openvpn setup on router only routing the nas through which as stated leaves plex not accesible.
2) setting up openvpn within the Deluge app, but didn't find an option there, did find the following link:
https://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewto ... n&start=30, but this is way above my current skill level so i am still looking into that (might do the trick though) but the thing is if i run into problems there i will have no clue on how to solve it except reinstall ADM and is something i really wanna stay away from.
3) make use of the dual lan port on nas and have one running through my LAN and the other directly to the Modem, but there is no option for the openvpn to single out one of the two connections.

so for now i am kinda stuck but i assume that i am not the first one to want this setup (which makes me wondering what i am missing)

Does anyone has another more valid thought on this?

Kind regards

Matthieu
ilike2burnthing

Re: setup openvpn such for Deluge but not Plex

Post by ilike2burnthing »

spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

hey like2burnthing

thanks for that.. unfortunately i am / was completely unfamiliar with docker and containers but i am working hard to get arch-delugevpn container up and running.

do you have it running on your asustor nas?

ifso..
what did you do with the following command line:

-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \

way i also ask for your other settings? i think i figured most of them out but it is nice to verify with someone who has it running on the same os as me.

would help a lot.

thanks.
ilike2burnthing

No, I have Transmission OpenVPN running on mine, but it's fairly similar.

I use Portainer-CE for my setups, makes it a lot easier, but that volume is exactly the same - mapping /etc/localtime to /etc/localtime and set to read only (so if you're doing it by command line, then that command can just be entered as is).
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

oke!! thanks good to know!

why did you pick tranmission openvpn vs delugevpn with deluge? any specific reason?

i understand it is all similar, as archdelugevpn uses openvpn profile too. so it basically differs on deluge and transmission.
did you experienced any data leaks with your setup?

Kind greats Matthieu
ilike2burnthing

Just personal preference with regards to the UI I think. There was no winning feature or better performance.

No, no leaks thankfully.
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

@like2burnthing

i currently seem to have delugevpn up and running, in the log file all seems to be fine unfortunately is can seem to be able to contact the web gui of both deluge nor privoxy.

i will in time try to solve this (just to understand the cause of the problem.. but for now i will look into setting up a openvpn - transmission setp like you. so i want to ask which openvpn continer do you use?
linuxserver.io only has a openvpn-as container so i am not entirely sure this will work with a non as openvpn setup like mine.

maybe it will, maybe it wont.. so i was wondering about what you use.

Kind greatings

Matthieu

ps: if you use that openvpn-as container may i ask again for the docker-compose configuration?
ilike2burnthing

No separate container needed, just Transmission OpenVPN, enter your details with whatever configuration you want, deploy, and you're running Transmission behind your VPN.
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

oke thanks...

but to be more precise? would that be haugene /docker-transmission-openvpn
https://github.com/haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn?

i am working on the config right now.. there is still a configuration that is unwilling but am on the track of solving that ( i think )
-> well that didn't work...

so i now did a quick refer to delugevpn as i thought maybe the issue is that i ran the docker code via the terminal, and that there are now some privilege issues..
so i converted the cli lines to compose lines and ran it through portainer.io.

again.. same issue. ll seems to run fine in the syslog (portainer.io) but no access gto the web-gui

back to transmission-openvpn
that one stops..

syslog:
Starting container with revision: baed33520630e88ba34842cab05f2cd3fd6cf28f
Creating TUN device /dev/net/tun
Using OpenVPN provider: CUSTOM
Supplied config volume1/Docker/OpenVPN/default.ovpn could not be found.
Your options for this provider are:
NB: Remember to not specify .ovpn as part of the config name.

but the file is in the location it says it isn't, so again. blowing my mind (seem to do that a lot these days)
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

never mind, found the problem and got delugevpn up and running..

thanks for all the help!!

greats Matthieu

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”