It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:16 am
All times are UTC + 8 hours

access bios and disable s.ma.r.t.

access bios and disable s.ma.r.t.

Postby spikey1973 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Hey hello,

since recently i have a s.m.a.r.t. bad message in one of my seagate ironwolf 8 tb drives in my as6102T with ADM 3.4

hence i can no longer access my drive to back up the date (yeah i am one of those that choose a non raid setup - couldnt afford 2x 16 tb and needed the space (so i thought) )

anyway, i read online one can still access the drives if you disable s.m.a.r.t in the bios (if this is true)
so now i am wondering.. how can i access the bios on my asustor nas.

in the asustor site i only found a way to update the bios.. not how to access it.
either via display in the nas, or via LAN i can only access ADM, not the bios.
spikey1973

Re: access bios and disable s.ma.r.t.

Postby ilike2burnthing » Sat May 02, 2020 7:03 pm

Do you have a dock or powered SATA to USB cable that you could use? Or a desktop that you can plug it into directly?
ilike2burnthing

Postby spikey1973 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:40 pm

i have aMantisTek® MBOX3.5 Tool-free USB3.0 SATA III HDD/SSD Enclosure External 3.5 inch

i connected it to my old windows 7 laptop with usb 3.0 port.With this...
it doesnt mount but it is seen in disk management and said to be a healthy partition.

i tried it with the following tools as mention in this link.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manage ... r-fix.html

first way: it doesnt mount. so i formated the 16 md unallocated partion at the beginning of the 8 TB. which mounted but when i used the tools is was just said to be healthy, but it only looked at the 16mb part not the 8TB.

second: the option wasnt available for this drive.. it was for the internal drive in my laptop though but the bad smart drive.

it might be because it is seen as a usb scsi mass storage device, just a though.
i also tried sea tools for windows but that doesnt let you do anything.

tot complete the answer.. no i dont have a desktop.

i might be able to use one from someone else in te future though? might.. darn corona.

and in about two weeks i will recieve a dell xps 15 with USB 3.1 port A and C and thunderbolt 3
but not yet with the right cable....
Attachments
Screenshot smart2.png
the smart errors
Screenshot smart2.png (58.54 KiB) Viewed 906 times
spikey1973

Postby ilike2burnthing » Sun May 03, 2020 5:48 am

Plug it into your laptop again with the enclosure and open Disk Management.

Right-click on the partition with your data on it, and click Change Drive Letter or Paths..., then click Add, select a letter, then click OK and OK again.

See if that allows you to run your tests.

Looks like it's a dying disk though. If so, you'll need to stop using it until you can back it up and transfer to a new one.
ilike2burnthing

Postby orion » Mon May 04, 2020 10:27 am

spikey1973 wrote:anyway, i read online one can still access the drives if you disable s.m.a.r.t in the bios (if this is true)
so now i am wondering.. how can i access the bios on my asustor nas.

I don't think you can disable disk SMART in BIOS. Anyway, you can try to enter BIOS menu by tapping F2 key repeatedly during BIOS bootup. (You'll need to connect a USB keyboard and HDMI display.)

On the other hand, you can try to recover your data if you own a Ubuntu PC: https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/189/0/how-to-extract-data-from-a-hard-drive-single-of-my-failed-nas-by-using-a-pc
orion

Postby spikey1973 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 am

i don't have a keyboard with a wire available but i will see if i can borrow one from someone.. hoping i can disable smart in the bios.
indeed i work with ubuntu.. and that could solve this issue wasn't it that apparently i decided at one point to encrypt the drive so i will need to export the encryption key first. which is difficult if i cant mount the drive.

i know all my own fault..

addemdum:

actually, thinking more about it, i doubt it very much that that drive is encrypted.
1) i had no reason to
2) i can't recall doing it (but can have forgotten)
3) non of my other folders are encrypted.

now i am trying to get the drive mounted/recognized through tunneling via ssh
still no wired keyboard.
spikey1973

Postby spikey1973 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:14 pm

orion wrote:I don't think you can disable disk SMART in BIOS. Anyway, you can try to enter BIOS menu by tapping F2 key repeatedly during BIOS bootup. (You'll need to connect a USB keyboard and HDMI display.)

It seems you are right disable smart in bios.

feel like i am completely F#@ked data wise.
anyway.. as last hope i will open another topic on the encryption issue. guess i must have indeed encrypted it.. silly me.
spikey1973

Postby spikey1973 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Well at the end i just got my HD replaced and setup a dual disk raid config and it's all up and running again.

thanks for all the help!

Kind greats

Matthieu
spikey1973

Return to [Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series