Mixing M.2 types for SSD caching

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

satow
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Mixing M.2 types for SSD caching

Post by satow »

At work I had two spare M.2 types of the same size. I figure I would use them on my AS6208T unit as SSD caching.

One of them was NVMe and the other was SATA. Both were 250 gb in size and by the same manufacturer.
When creating the RAID1 volume, I was able to use both drives to create a single RAID1 volume.

However, when I choose to make that RAID1 volume an SSD cache, the option to do so is greyed out.
So I wiped out the RAID1 volume and started over. Same problem.

However, I found that I can create individual volumes on each of the M.2 drives to use as an SSD cache, but not both combined together.
Is this because one was SATA and the other NVMe?
They would not work as an SSD cache combined as a single RAID1 volume.
Is this normal? :? :?:

Also, what happens to the storage volume if the SSD caching drive crashes? Will my data be intact?
orion

Re: Mixing M.2 types for SSD caching

Post by orion »

You can only create m.2 as cache OR volume.
satow

Post by satow »

Thanks for your reply, but you didn't understand my question. I have two M.2 drives installed. One is NVMe the other is SATA. I can create a single RAID1 volume, but I cannot use it as for caching. Is it because one is NVMe and the other is SATA?
orion

Post by orion »

satow wrote:Thanks for your reply, but you didn't understand my question. I have two M.2 drives installed. One is NVMe the other is SATA. I can create a single RAID1 volume, but I cannot use it as for caching. Is it because one is NVMe and the other is SATA?
Where is your RAID1 volume? On M.2 devices? If yes, the answer is "You can only create m.2 as cache OR volume".
satow

Post by satow »

Screenshot 2022-05-26 191653.jpg
Screenshot 2022-05-26 191653.jpg (84.23 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Thanks again, but you still don't seem to understand. There are two types of M.2 drives. NVMe and mSATA. They are different types of drives.
The RAID1 volume is made of two M.2 devices. One of the devices is NVMe the other is mSATA.
It seems that you cannot use the RAID1 volume as SSD cache because they are made of two different M.2 types.
You can only use it as volume you cannot choose SSD cache.
I am assuming that if both M.2 drivers are NVMe or if both M.2 drives are SATA, then the RAID1 volume can be used as cache OR volume.
This information is not disclosed anywhere on the ASUSTOR site. It would be nice for an ASUSTOR engineer or someone to verify this.
You can look at the screenshot and scroll down.
orion

Post by orion »

Your information is clear now. But the answer is still "You can only create m.2 as cache OR volume". You cannot create volume using M.2 devices and cache using the same M.2 devices at the same time.
satow

Post by satow »

Now that you understand I have two different types of M.2 drives. One is NVMe and the other is mSATA.
I want to make it cache but the only option I can do is volume.
Nothing happens when you click on the cache option. Do you understand? The cache option does NOT work.
I want to verify that the reason I cannot make it cache is because one is NVMe and the other is mSATA.
Because I cannot make it cache, I made it a volume, which I do not use.
I can make only one of the M.2 as a cache but not both.
So I am asking why.
orion

Post by orion »

Finally I understand what you said. I guess it's the behavior made by software. Theoretically it's not necessary to set this constraint. I think you can send a support request to asustor to ask them removing this constraint (feature request).

Just checked that AS6208T does not support M.2 devices. mm... how do you...?
satow

Post by satow »

I made a mistake. It's a AS6508T not a 62. I've posted in the wrong area as well.

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”