WebDAV Service Shutting Down... Well, at least from " KODI "...

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

fgs
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

WebDAV Service Shutting Down... Well, at least from " KODI "...

Post by fgs »

Greetings everybody. Thanks for reading. I'm starting with my first experience with Asustor and "ADM" product. I do own at least one specimen of all other major Taiwanese NAS companies. Thank you.

This is "ADM" v.2.7 shipping branch. This is also using the "ACME" shipping certificates for secure connection to Asustor NAS. I bumped into something occurring with the WebDAV server, right out of the box. I manage to setup WebDAV shares, access them through standard secure port 9802 with different software clients. So far so good, expect when tested with a "KODI" remote access to that WebDAV NAS share, for example.

My first thought, just from experience, is that perhaps some client connection limit (# of simultaneous) is kicking in. But still, it's blocking or crashing the entire WebDAV server. After I try to remote access from "KODI", the WebDAV stops to respond to any other client. I'm forced to restart the WebDAV service.

Where do you suggest I find WebDAV server logs for proper troubleshooting this? Best, Fernando.
Last edited by fgs on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sksbir

Re: WebDAV Service Shutting Down... Well, at least from " KODI "...

Post by sksbir »

Hi
I suggest you to create a ticket to support.
So I have done for the same problem in 09/2016, still not solved today.

Here is the original text of ticket : webdav service is stuck once trying to read a video from android device
On android device : ES file explorer + VLC ( same with MX player, or BS player ) .
- webdav is in HTTPS + custom port on my NAS.

Using file explorer ( webdav connection defined in "ftp" section ) , I can navigate threw folder structure without problems, getting thumbnails from my fotos. file copying works well too. Using foldersync with the NAS works well too.
Once I try to open a video directly from remote page, video player opens but nothing happens. After resetting player ( and sometimes ES file explorer ) , I cannot get access anymore to webdav server with ES fileexplorer nor foldersync.

On the NAS, stopping and starting webdav service again has no effect. Only the reboot of the NAS restore webdav service
fgs

Post by fgs »

Thanks for your feedback as fellow user. What do they say about your ticket after this time? Are they pointing you to some log file somewhere? Because some further evidence must be found through a log file. The manufacturer may not be able to reproduce the issue using the exact same environment for whatever reason. But they must tell you and not leave the ticket laying around.

You seem to be using secure connections in all cases, correct? Do you have " Let's Encrypt " certificates installed replacing the dummies from the manufacturer?

Looking forward to your comments again. Thank you.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

fgs wrote:Thanks for your feedback as fellow user. What do they say about your ticket after this time? Are they pointing you to some log file somewhere? Because some further evidence must be found through a log file. The manufacturer may not be able to reproduce the issue using the exact same environment for whatever reason. But they must tell you and not leave the ticket laying around.

You seem to be using secure connections in all cases, correct? Do you have " Let's Encrypt " certificates installed replacing the dummies from the manufacturer?

Looking forward to your comments again. Thank you.
Ticket is still open, last reply from support in 12/2016:For the issue mentioned, our engineer is still working on it now.
I'll keep this ticket open and update the latest news about this in my reply.
My apology for the inconvenience.

I did not reproduce the problem, because I stopped trying to open videos with ES file explorer connected with webdav to my NAS. I'm now using Aidata + mxplayer, and it seems to work.

Yes, I'm using secure connections on non default port. Problem occurs before I installed let's encrypt certificate. I didn't test again since certificate is installed.
fgs

Post by fgs »

Interesting. They clearly acknowledge something there.

Which " Let's Encrypt " steps you followed to deploy so I can keep in tandem? Thanks!
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

fgs wrote:Interesting. They clearly acknowledge something there.
Which " Let's Encrypt " steps you followed to deploy so I can keep in tandem? Thanks!
I have followed this tutorial : https://www.it-connect.fr/nas-asustor-i ... ent-page-1 ( in french.. sorry )
fgs

Post by fgs »

Cannot believe I'm having the same behavior from the WebDAV server now that ADMv.3 release is shipping and I've upgraded.

Having a support ticket opened today. Really disappointing.
fgs

Post by fgs »

Just to let you all know how frustrating it is after all this time, my webdav service refuses to work. It "dies" after a few hours of operation. I'm specially frustrated lately after starting the NAS completely from scratch again with a full set of new HDDs. Absolutely nothing installed except for the base OS.

My question remains: anybody out there with a working webdav service of some sort?

BTW: the Asustor trouble ticket still open.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hello
Since the last time I wrote something here, I started using kodi from remote android TV device.
Because I knew what happens with webdav, I quickly gave a test by creating a webdav access from kodi to my NAS, and seen that problem was still here : webdav is stuck at first attempt for watching a video.
So I added a ftps link from Kodi to my NAS. It works fine for video library and streaming videos.
Upnp works well too for streaming, but you cannot build a library from Upnp devices within Kodi.

Webdav is still active, but only used from ESfile-explorer on my various android devices, and just for file move/copy/audio streaming, but NEVER used for video streaming. If this condition is met, webdav works forever.
fgs

Post by fgs »

WebDAV service of Asustor is certainly flawed. And the manufacturer should care about that. But apparently they don't.

WebDAV protocol is a well established standard. It's not something like should work with some clients and won't work with others. I've already tested with different mobile apps, desktop environments and the results are the same. If you use it for a few hours of operation, it will "die". Kodi initial cataloging of your videos is just accelerating the process by opening concurrent connections to the NAS or something like that.

At this point I regret more Asustor customers aren't reading this. Because they should be aware before considering thei next purchase. Or Asustor fix it for good and I'll come back and acknowledge it.

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”