how to move in used ADM system to a new bigger HDD ?

siuhangpo
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Post by siuhangpo »

NAS AS6210T & 1tb single HDD installed only
i want move in used ADM system to the new 4tb hdd
how to do that ?
crazynas

Re: how to move in used ADM system to a new bigger HDD ?

Post by crazynas »

Hi
initial ADMI 4TB on first slot.
plug-in old HDD to second. Then use file explorer move your data to 4TB.
or don't move any data keep at the same hdd.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

crazynas wrote:Hi
initial ADMI 4TB on first slot.
plug-in old HDD to second. Then use file explorer move your data to 4TB.
or don't move any data keep at the same hdd.
Surprisingly, the information @crazynas provided you is indeed the preferred method to upgrade the main disk in your NAS.

Shut down the NAS, remove the current drive, then put in the new drive. Power it on and then initialize the new drive. Wait for all of the initialization stuff to finish, then plug in the old drive into a different slot. The system should see it and the data on it, and allow you to copy/move/delete the data on the old to the new. Then you can always reformat the old drive and keep it in the system.

You do NOT want to make a mirror, Raid Array or anything like that with the size differences. If you do, you would turn your 4TB into a 1TB as the old drive is a 1TB...
orion

Post by orion »

MikeG.6.5 wrote: Shut down the NAS, remove the current drive, then put in the new drive. Power it on and then initialize the new drive. Wait for all of the initialization stuff to finish, then plug in the old drive into a different slot. The system should see it and the data on it, and allow you to copy/move/delete the data on the old to the new. Then you can always reformat the old drive and keep it in the system.
:o Really? I cannot see those files on the old drive (different slot). However, I can mount the file system of the old drive by manual commands to certain directory. I don't think you can find web GUI to manipulate files without those manual commands.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I've done this a couple of different times. It has always worked for me.
orion

Post by orion »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:I've done this a couple of different times. It has always worked for me.
I must miss something important. I just tried it again, but still failed. Here are the steps that I did:
  • Get a new disk-A. Put it to NAS and initialize it (single disk). Disk-A is the only one in NAS.
  • Shutdown NAS.
  • Remove disk-A, and put my original disks back to NAS, and power NAS on. After NAS is ready, I put disk-A to slot-4.
  • I can see disk-A under ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Disk. It shows slot-4 is disk-A.
  • I cannot find volume of disk-A under ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Volume?!
  • And I cannot browse files on disk-A using ADM File Explorer?!
Anything wrong with me?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Nope, did part of that backwards

Put in new drive and initialize it, then put second disk into system and leave new disk in drive slot 1. (Old in 4) Move data from old to new....
orion

Post by orion »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:Nope, did part of that backwards

Put in new drive and initialize it, then put second disk into system and leave new disk in drive slot 1. (Old in 4) Move data from old to new....
The result is the same. Please see the photos below (slot-4 shows inactive when mouse move over the icon):
Storage Manager-1
Storage Manager-1
SM-1.png (41.44 KiB) Viewed 11868 times
Storage Manager-2
Storage Manager-2
SM-2.png (21.91 KiB) Viewed 11868 times
Storage Manager-3
Storage Manager-3
SM-3.png (25.63 KiB) Viewed 11868 times
File Explorer
File Explorer
FILE-1.png (32.17 KiB) Viewed 11868 times
Max36

Post by Max36 »

I think both Orion and MikeG.6.5 are correct.

1) In the web GUI it is not possible to mount the old HDD and see its content. Cheked. I think it is done for security reasosns.
2) But MikeG.6.5 wrote "However, I can mount the file system of the old drive by manual commands...". Probably it is about telnet. MakeG, what "manual commands" do you mean? Wouldn't you like to share them with community? :)

3) Regarding to the initial question on how to move "in used ADM system to a new bigger HDD". Please note that question is not about data, but about system state. Probably system backup & restore here is answer?

Thank you,
Max
orion

Post by orion »

The major manual command is mdadm. You can ssh into NAS with root account (admin password).
  • After NAS boots up and is ready, put all of the old disks into NAS. You can put disks one by one. Execute "dmesg", you'll see what's the new added device name, for example, /dev/sdd.
  • Execute command mdadm to create md device. For example: mdadm --assemble /dev/md3 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdd4
  • You can mount md device to a mount point.
If you don't want to keep data, you can simply initialize whole NAS with the bigger disk. No needs to "move". And, yes, you can restore system settings with Backup & Restore function. However, most of people that want to move to a bigger disk should face the problem: running out of disk space. It implies keeping data (although OP does not state it).

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”