Doubt about Crashplan in Asustor

CrashPlan - Endpoint Backup + Restore
Silently, continuously back up every version of every file, on laptops and desktops, at home and at work.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Nicolas
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Doubt about Crashplan in Asustor

Post by Nicolas »

Hello,

I would like to know if I install and configure Crashplan in NAS Asustor, the Asustor is capable to backup the data inside the NAS in SMB folders to Crashplan cloud without some PC, autonomously. I want to save files in NAS via CIFS / SMB and I would like Asustor backup them to Crashplan autonomously in background without PC.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Nicolas Calvo.
jenyay

Re: Doubt about Crashplan in Asustor

Post by jenyay »

I know it slightly late for this reply, but for other users I want to mention that I was able to setup Crashplan natively (without Docker) to run on Asustor and backup directly to Crashplan cloud. There are two caveats:
* You will need UI installed on the PC for inital configuration (authentication, backup frequency and locations). Once you finish setup you don't need the PC for it to work
* Crashplan in App Central (https://www.asustor.com/apps/app_detail?id=329) contains an outdated version of the client, which prevents from it to function. I tried to contact author to update it, but he didn't respond. You can update the files yourself by copying them from latest folder that located in `/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/crashplan/crashplan/upgrade` to parent folder.
sillysheep

Post by sillysheep »

Hi, Jenyay.

You wouldn't happen to have a guide or detailed steps on how to upgrade the client, would you?
jenyay

Post by jenyay »

Unfortunately no, but it should be pretty straight forward:
1) SSH into your NAS. Here are how to do it using Putty.
2) Copy the latest (check the date creation) sub folder from the path: `/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/crashplan/crashplan/upgrade` into folder that is parent to the path.

Let me know if you get stuck somewhere.
sillysheep

Post by sillysheep »

So I copied the latest dated folder to the parent. But nothing seems to be happening.

I've attached a screenshot of my folder layout so far:
screen1.PNG
screen1.PNG (79.69 KiB) Viewed 7682 times
I'm sorry if there's something obvious that I'm missing. Are there other steps that I should be trying to verify that it upgraded successfully?

Return to “CrashPlan”