Is William Lin still maintaining this app?

Bringing all of your media together into one place has never been easier. Your Emby Server automatically converts and streams your media on-the-fly to play on any device.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Tarl Cabot
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Is William Lin still maintaining this app?

Post by Tarl Cabot »

orion wrote:
Tarl Cabot wrote:Well, this is fun. Seems there's a bit of a modern-day "Who's on First? What's on Second?" Emby game in play.

Emby's official page directs users to Asustor's App Central (See: http://emby.media/nas-server.html) for the proper Emby software.

App Central lists Emby v3.0.5932.r1, posted 4/27/2016; however, whatever that package actually is, it refuses to install on an AS5102T, despite several attempts (and yes, with prerequisite apps and ports requirements fully satisfied) If it is Emby, I'm guessing it doesn't like the latest ADM build, or visa-versa?

Asustor's official downloads page has no actual listing for "Emby," but scrolling further down the list reveals an app with an Emby icon, named "mediabrowser" v3.0.5972.r1, posted 06/17/2016 (see: https://www.asustor.com/service/downloads?product_id=31), and contains a description pointing back to Emby's official page and contains the same wordage as that for Emby Server.

Then while trying to make some sense of the discrepancies, I almost missed this entire Emby forum section under 3rd-party Apps, because I was foolishly expecting the word Emby to come before Entware, instead of after Firefox, where it's currently nestled. Thankfully, a forum search for "Emby" quickly showed me the error of my ways, and here I am.

But upon arrival, I see we are being directed to yet another location on github for latest Emby updates...

That said, I have two questions: 1) are Asustor's separate listings for "Emby" and "mediaserver" actually Emby Server, but just misnamed and one happens to be a later build than the other? 2) where might one find the latest, most trustworthy version of Emby Server that will actually install and run peacefully on an AS5102T?

Or, am I totally barking up the wrong tree and should just install the Emby plug-in for Kodi?

I think I need a nap now. :)
I can install and run Emby from AppCentral (yes, it's v3.0.5972.r1) on my AS-304T. Not sure about AS5102T. Do you see any error messages? I think you should send a support request to asustor to ask them check it. http://support.asustor.com/
Thanks Orion. I appreciate your reply, but it doesn't quite help in my case because your 304T is seeing a different Emby build than what my 5102T sees when it queries App Central. (see screenshot) I appreciate your suggestion too; however, sending a support request to Asustor in no longer a viable option for me. Long story short, after several unsatisfactory experiences with Asustor's help desk responses, combined with the absence of substantive post-sales support documentation in English, I fired off a note to Asustor management to express my concerns as a paying customer who is only able to speak and read, English. I know, my monolingual bad. Apparently my note was not "precious" to them, and they responded with.... nothing. Crickets, no response at all, except for simply ignoring any future tickets altogether. So I quit submitting bug reports. If I can't fix it myself, or find the answer here or elsewhere on the web, I just let the bugs be, all by themselves.

LOL, I even got my forum privileges banned once for giving Asustor a sound thrashing over some really boneheaded code they released a couple years ago as production-ready, when it wasn't even acceptable betaware yet. My points were clear and undeniably factual, easily verifiable too, just like those in my original post we are discussing now, yet some oversensitive princess that used to have moderator privileges on this forum, Damiensomethingorother, banned me for being "disrespectful to Asustor?" Yep, I reckon if facts equal disrespect, then I'm guilty as hell, cuz I certainly dished out a pile of it. :)

Bottom-line, as you can see in the attached screenshot taken just minutes ago, App Central via an AS5102T get, is still offering up an older version of Emby (v3.0.5932.r1). Worse, it's not only old, it won't even install on the AS5102T, hanging at about 90% complete, and that's after meeting port and app prereq's, and clicking Install. No error messages, no logs, no actual discernible process hangs either. It just simply won't install. So, disrespectful or not, the FACT remains that there is clearly an issue with the code in Asustor's App Central Emby offering via a 5102T, and that disparate names and versions are in fact being made available on App Central vs Asustor's own Downloads page. I just checked them again, minutes ago. All is as it was, but since I can't report it, I just look for tips from fellow here users instead...

Thanks again!
Attachments
App Central screenshot of Emby from an AS5102T
App Central screenshot of Emby from an AS5102T
emby-app-central.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
AS-6302T with Crucial 8GB RAM Kit (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 PC3-12800 1.35V CL11
2x4TB Western Digital NAS Red Plus - RAID-1
BIOS: v1.29 ADM: 3.5.2.RAG2 (Dec '20)
Asustor Remote - Logitech Wireless keyboard/mouse

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
itdaboyz

Post by itdaboyz »

On your screen it says "installed".
So is Emby actually installed on your NAS and you want to update it or do you want to do a 1st install of the app ?
orion

Post by orion »

Tarl Cabot wrote: Thanks Orion. I appreciate your reply, but it doesn't quite help in my case because your 304T is seeing a different Emby build than what my 5102T sees when it queries App Central. (see screenshot) I appreciate your suggestion too; however, sending a support request to Asustor in no longer a viable option for me. Long story short, after several unsatisfactory experiences with Asustor's help desk responses, combined with the absence of substantive post-sales support documentation in English, I fired off a note to Asustor management to express my concerns as a paying customer who is only able to speak and read, English. I know, my monolingual bad. Apparently my note was not "precious" to them, and they responded with.... nothing. Crickets, no response at all, except for simply ignoring any future tickets altogether. So I quit submitting bug reports. If I can't fix it myself, or find the answer here or elsewhere on the web, I just let the bugs be, all by themselves.

LOL, I even got my forum privileges banned once for giving Asustor a sound thrashing over some really boneheaded code they released a couple years ago as production-ready, when it wasn't even acceptable betaware yet. My points were clear and undeniably factual, easily verifiable too, just like those in my original post we are discussing now, yet some oversensitive princess that used to have moderator privileges on this forum, Damiensomethingorother, banned me for being "disrespectful to Asustor?" Yep, I reckon if facts equal disrespect, then I'm guilty as hell, cuz I certainly dished out a pile of it. :)

Bottom-line, as you can see in the attached screenshot taken just minutes ago, App Central via an AS5102T get, is still offering up an older version of Emby (v3.0.5932.r1). Worse, it's not only old, it won't even install on the AS5102T, hanging at about 90% complete, and that's after meeting port and app prereq's, and clicking Install. No error messages, no logs, no actual discernible process hangs either. It just simply won't install. So, disrespectful or not, the FACT remains that there is clearly an issue with the code in Asustor's App Central Emby offering via a 5102T, and that disparate names and versions are in fact being made available on App Central vs Asustor's own Downloads page. I just checked them again, minutes ago. All is as it was, but since I can't report it, I just look for tips from fellow here users instead...

Thanks again!
I'm surprised that you got bad experiences with their supports. I actually sent a lot of tickets to them. I usually get their responses within one day. Maybe, they know me well enough. (I believe I helped them a lot too.) According to your photo, it apparently appears something wrong in AppCentral. I just sent a support ticket to them for your case. ;)

I think you should give them another chance through support. After all, they might improve a lot after a couple of years.

And I just tried to find Emby on the download page of their official web site http://www.asustor.com/service/downloads?product_id=31. It states the updated version being 3.0.5972.r1. You'll need to select "App Download" tag to show applications. I think you can try it first (download and install it manually).
orion

Post by orion »

orion wrote:
Tarl Cabot wrote: Thanks Orion. I appreciate your reply, but it doesn't quite help in my case because your 304T is seeing a different Emby build than what my 5102T sees when it queries App Central. (see screenshot) I appreciate your suggestion too; however, sending a support request to Asustor in no longer a viable option for me. Long story short, after several unsatisfactory experiences with Asustor's help desk responses, combined with the absence of substantive post-sales support documentation in English, I fired off a note to Asustor management to express my concerns as a paying customer who is only able to speak and read, English. I know, my monolingual bad. Apparently my note was not "precious" to them, and they responded with.... nothing. Crickets, no response at all, except for simply ignoring any future tickets altogether. So I quit submitting bug reports. If I can't fix it myself, or find the answer here or elsewhere on the web, I just let the bugs be, all by themselves.
I'm surprised that you got bad experiences with their supports. I actually sent a lot of tickets to them. I usually get their responses within one day. Maybe, they know me well enough. (I believe I helped them a lot too.) According to your photo, it apparently appears something wrong in AppCentral. I just sent a support ticket to them for your case. ;)

I think you should give them another chance through support. After all, they might improve a lot after a couple of years.

And I just tried to find Emby on the download page of their official web site http://www.asustor.com/service/downloads?product_id=31. It states the updated version being 3.0.5972.r1. You'll need to select "App Download" tag to show applications. I think you can try it first (download and install it manually).
Just got a response from their support department. (pretty fast, right?) They doubt it's caused by "installation hanging at about 90% complete". They checked on a AS5104T in their lab. And it shows Emby version correctly (3.0.5972.r1). They recommended to uninstall this App and to restart AppCentral. You can then check if Emby version is 3.0.5972.r1 (before you do installation again) under AppCentral -> All Apps. If you still see the wrong version, please post the photo here. I can ask them to check it.
Tarl Cabot

Post by Tarl Cabot »

orion wrote:Just got a response from their support department. (pretty fast, right?) They doubt it's caused by "installation hanging at about 90% complete". They checked on a AS5104T in their lab. And it shows Emby version correctly (3.0.5972.r1). They recommended to uninstall this App and to restart AppCentral. You can then check if Emby version is 3.0.5972.r1 (before you do installation again) under AppCentral -> All Apps. If you still see the wrong version, please post the photo here. I can ask them to check it.
Orion,

As I said earlier, I did several refreshes of App Central, and a couple NAS reboots for good measure, but my 5102 was only seeing Emby v'32. All attempts to install it failed; (see log below) however, the last failed attempt left a remnant Emby icon, indicating it installed, but it actually had not. In fact, the icon would not even show up in the "Installed" section. LOL, making it a bit difficult to uninstall because that's only location in App Central where apps can be disabled and uninstalled. But I agree, it was likely some sort of hang in the ADM/App Central database, because all these issues cleared after App Central finally refreshed. Asustor must have recognized an issue and did something in the background to clear it, because App Central would not refresh at all, at least on my 5102, until after you forwarded the bug report to them. So thanks for that.

Anyway, I eventually got Emby v'72 installed from App Central. But as we discussed off-line, I've disabled it for now, before running its wizard, until I can catch up on Emby capabilities and determine whether or not to even use it on my NAS/Kodi build. There seems to be an unlimited supply of opinions regarding best media servers, front and back-ends, and library/database management. LOL, so many in fact, that it proves the old adage, "opinions are like butts, everybody has one, and we think everybody else's stinks!"

Thanks again for helping get the App Central issue cleared. I'm going to start a new thread with the remaining questions from my original post.

______________________________________________________________________________________

7/3/2016 12:44 INFO admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5972.r1 Disable App success.
7/3/2016 12:40 INFO admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5972.r1 Install App success.
7/3/2016 12:31 INFO admin mono Mono-4.2.2.r1 Install App success.
7/3/2016 12:22 INFO admin mono Mono-4.2.2.r1 Remove App success.
6/28/2016 14:00 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/27/2016 23:34 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/26/2016 2:03 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/26/2016 0:15 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 23:50 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 23:35 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 23:30 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 22:23 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 22:14 INFO admin mono Mono-4.2.2.r1 Install App success.
5/30/2016 23:03 INFO admin kodi KODI-16.0.3.R12 Install App success.
5/30/2016 23:01 INFO admin remote-center Remote Center-1.0.0.r142 Install App success.
5/30/2016 23:00 INFO admin asportal ASUSTOR Portal-1.0.3.r0309 Install App success.
5/30/2016 22:59 INFO admin web-browser Web browser-1.0.0.R1 Install App success.
5/30/2016 22:57 INFO admin xorg X.Org-10.14.7.R19 Install App success.
______________________________________________________________________________________
AS-6302T with Crucial 8GB RAM Kit (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 PC3-12800 1.35V CL11
2x4TB Western Digital NAS Red Plus - RAID-1
BIOS: v1.29 ADM: 3.5.2.RAG2 (Dec '20)
Asustor Remote - Logitech Wireless keyboard/mouse

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
orion

Post by orion »

Tarl Cabot wrote: Orion,

As I said earlier, I did several refreshes of App Central, and a couple NAS reboots for good measure, but my 5102 was only seeing Emby v'32. All attempts to install it failed; (see log below) however, the last failed attempt left a remnant Emby icon, indicating it installed, but it actually had not. In fact, the icon would not even show up in the "Installed" section. LOL, making it a bit difficult to uninstall because that's only location in App Central where apps can be disabled and uninstalled. But I agree, it was likely some sort of hang in the ADM/App Central database, because all these issues cleared after App Central finally refreshed. Asustor must have recognized an issue and did something in the background to clear it, because App Central would not refresh at all, at least on my 5102, until after you forwarded the bug report to them. So thanks for that.

Anyway, I eventually got Emby v'72 installed from App Central. But as we discussed off-line, I've disabled it for now, before running its wizard, until I can catch up on Emby capabilities and determine whether or not to even use it on my NAS/Kodi build. There seems to be an unlimited supply of opinions regarding best media servers, front and back-ends, and library/database management. LOL, so many in fact, that it proves the old adage, "opinions are like butts, everybody has one, and we think everybody else's stinks!"

Thanks again for helping get the App Central issue cleared. I'm going to start a new thread with the remaining questions from my original post.

7/3/2016 12:44 INFO admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5972.r1 Disable App success.
7/3/2016 12:40 INFO admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5972.r1 Install App success.
7/3/2016 12:31 INFO admin mono Mono-4.2.2.r1 Install App success.
7/3/2016 12:22 INFO admin mono Mono-4.2.2.r1 Remove App success.
6/28/2016 14:00 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/27/2016 23:34 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/26/2016 2:03 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/26/2016 0:15 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 23:50 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 23:35 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 23:30 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 22:23 ERROR admin mediabrowser Emby-3.0.5932.r1 Download App failed. (Ref. -190)
6/25/2016 22:14 INFO admin mono Mono-4.2.2.r1 Install App success.
5/30/2016 23:03 INFO admin kodi KODI-16.0.3.R12 Install App success.
5/30/2016 23:01 INFO admin remote-center Remote Center-1.0.0.r142 Install App success.
5/30/2016 23:00 INFO admin asportal ASUSTOR Portal-1.0.3.r0309 Install App success.
5/30/2016 22:59 INFO admin web-browser Web browser-1.0.0.R1 Install App success.
5/30/2016 22:57 INFO admin xorg X.Org-10.14.7.R19 Install App success.
You are most welcome! Nice to know that you finally installed Emby successfully (although root cause is unknown).

Return to “Emby”