Have I fallen for the advertising? (emby>hdmi>Web browser)?

Bringing all of your media together into one place has never been easier. Your Emby Server automatically converts and streams your media on-the-fly to play on any device.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

orion
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Have I fallen for the advertising? (emby>hdmi>Web browser)?

Post by orion »

Valleyboy44 wrote:Thank you for your response, but what is the point of the HDMI then?

On futher investiagation it does look like I am streaming over my network not direct vias HDMI.

the whol point of me buying the Asustor was to take advantage of the HDMI connection and NOT stream over the house network as my family stream and play games over the internet.

i do feel a little let down to be honest that i cant take full advantage of the HDMI, also having had chance to 'play about' with the Portal, it does seem very '3rd party' in relation to apps. The plex media player is not official by the looks of it and I cant even get that to work via HDMI.

Can anyone confirm if they have a media player working in protal that uses HDMI NOT streaming over the network?
Have you tried the solutions that I provided to you before?
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=10744
viewforum.php?f=227
biped

Post by biped »

I could be wrong but I think you'll find all manufacturers advertise some of their NAS products being suitable for Home use which attracts a clientele looking to perhaps implement a media centre set up
They point out graphically in advertising that their NAS has HDMI AT 4K etc etc etc but do nothing other than provide a basic platform to implement third party APPs not one of their own
Instead you find out to your considrable cost that streaming is a piece of cake, it always was, but to implement HDMI unless you are tech savvy is impossible
You'll see a myriad of helps from very good people, experts, it's easy all you have to is install a few support apps then jump into the command line and..... at which point the user who THOUGHT
they had bought a simple user friendly NAS, that was attracted by the advertising of NAS + HDMI supporting 4k etc = I can see 4K video on my TV by using an Asustor APP... ends up very disappointed
For me IF you advertise what appears to be a simple approach for the home user YOU The Manufacturer must supply a BASIC APP that if nothing else achieves the simplest much advertised benefit of HDMI at 4K !!
To be able to Play through HDMI Video stored on your NAS - NOT ROCKET SCIENCE for ASUSTOR SURELY ?
SO A FAIL FOR ASUSTOR
But in saying that, all NAS manufacturers to differing degrees dupe the purchaser re HDMI, advertising in a way that implies ease of use, when that ease is really only for those with a higher than the averge tech expertise
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

biped wrote:I could be wrong but I think you'll find all manufacturers advertise some of their NAS products being suitable for Home use which attracts a clientele looking to perhaps implement a media centre set up
They point out graphically in advertising that their NAS has HDMI AT 4K etc etc etc but do nothing other than provide a basic platform to implement third party APPs not one of their own
Instead you find out to your considrable cost that streaming is a piece of cake, it always was, but to implement HDMI unless you are tech savvy is impossible
You'll see a myriad of helps from very good people, experts, it's easy all you have to is install a few support apps then jump into the command line and..... at which point the user who THOUGHT
they had bought a simple user friendly NAS, that was attracted by the advertising of NAS + HDMI supporting 4k etc = I can see 4K video on my TV by using an Asustor APP... ends up very disappointed
For me IF you advertise what appears to be a simple approach for the home user YOU The Manufacturer must supply a BASIC APP that if nothing else achieves the simplest much advertised benefit of HDMI at 4K !!
To be able to Play through HDMI Video stored on your NAS - NOT ROCKET SCIENCE for ASUSTOR SURELY ?
SO A FAIL FOR ASUSTOR
But in saying that, all NAS manufacturers to differing degrees dupe the purchaser re HDMI, advertising in a way that implies ease of use, when that ease is really only for those with a higher than the averge tech expertise
I might be wrong but I've not seen any NAS manufacture, even those very well known ones, that provides a full pledged 4K players with proprietary codecs that supports directly from the HDMI output. Implementing this will increase the product cost much higher (development and proprietary procurement wise) also not to mention any possible law suits just from the app itself.

To the OP, if you're not keen with command lines and such stuffs, install Linux Center from the app store. Launch it, then install Debian Desktop 10, config it to display HDMI and mount shared folder (so you can access your NAS files within) then launch it let it appear on your HDMI output to TV. Avoid using the remote desktop as you'll run into few problems very tedious to fix like missing sound and no admin access. From there head to the menu->applications->system->software and look for any media player i.e. VLC. I've made some changes to mine running Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 instead.

The HDMI is one of its best feature of the NAS. I've managed to boot purely into the latest Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 from another partition (yes no ADM) with few things to work on e.g. controlling the fan and leds. Recently tried booting into Windows 10 but stuck just before the login screen so I'll need some free time to figure out why. Later I'll probably run Ubuntu/Windows/ADM in a multi boot config. Without HDMI, these are not possible...
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
rockymaru

Post by rockymaru »

@ Nazar78 : I think you've found the solution!! I've not used Linux/Ubuntu/Debian Desktop before and am having a little difficulty. I'll PM you for details!
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

rockymaru wrote:Hi! I think you've found the Rosetta Stone for us looking to play directly from our NAS via HDMI, rather than stream!! I'm still fooling around w/ it but I'm having trouble! The main issue is: the max resolution of Linux Center is 1920x1080. I have a 4k TV and, therefore, it only shows 1/4 of the entire screen!! How do you get around this??
Let's discuss it publicly as it could benefit others. I using it on a 65" 4K but I kept the resolution to FHD yet still playing 4K contents looks great. If you insist on 4K which I find it laggy at times, edit this file, append after the input before EOF then restart the instance from the portal or sudo reboot from the container.

/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/linux-center/containers/debian10/desktop-autodev

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "$input"
  Driver "evdev"
  Option "Device" "/dev/$input"
  Option "AutoServerLayout" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Card0"
	SubSection	"Display"
	Virtual	        3840 2160
	#Virtual		1920 1080
	EndSubSection
EndSection
EOF
If that doesn't work, revert it back then look in this symlink file /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/linux-center/containers/debian10/container.conf change it to 4K then restart. You will see 4K selected in the portal but it's not in the drop down list.

These are the two I've played around but I can't test it now.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Emby”