1 Failed Drive on Volume 1 and need to upgrade

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

converse420
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

1 Failed Drive on Volume 1 and need to upgrade

Post by converse420 »

Hi All,
I have an interesting scenario for which I cant find an answer on the web, so I hope you can help?

I have an AS-608T with two volumes:
Volume 1- 4x 3TB WD Red RAID 5 (one of these drives went offline recently but successfully re-synced, but obviously this is a concern)
Volume 2- 4x 4TB WD Red RAID 5

I have spare drives as replacements, however what I would like to do is backup the data on Volume 1 and then expand Volume 2 with 4 additional WD 4TB Reds to make better use of the space. My problem is that I assume that the first Volume created also holds the ADM Operating System, but I have not been able to find information to confirm this, or indeed if my suggested approach is even possible.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on the best way to approach this?

Thanks
Dale
orion

Re: 1 Failed Drive on Volume 1 and need to upgrade

Post by orion »

From my understanding (through ssh session), there are actually 2 portions: ADM OS and applications. ADM OS locates on volume-0 which is RAID-1 on every disk (one 2GB partition on every disk). OS can still work normally if there is only one disk left.

But applications are located on volume-1. That's the problem. I don't know how to remove volume-1 and change volume-2 to volume-1.

I think the safe way will be:
  • Replace the suspicious disk with a new 4TB disk on volume-1 (from 3TB to 4TB).
  • After rebuilding completes, replace other disks on volume-1 with 4TB disks. You need to do it one by one. Replace one disk, and wait for rebuilding to complete. Then replace another one disk.
  • After all disks on volume-1 being replaced, expand volume-1 capacity (under ADM web -> Storage Management).
  • Backup your volume-2 data (to volume-1 or external devices).
  • Remove volume-2.
  • Add disks to volume-1 to expand the capacity.
  • Restore your original volume-2 data to volume-1.
This way will take much longer time for the conversion, but I think it's safer.
converse420

Post by converse420 »

Many thanks orion.

I will give this approach a try, I don't suppose you have found a way to prioritise resync by any chance, as at 3.3 days per drive this will be painful!

Regards

Dale
orion

Post by orion »

That's indeed painful. You can speed up the rebuilding process: http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3499

The good thing is that you can still accessing your data during the whole process, although it really takes very very long time. The other way is to backup your data to external devices and reinitialize your NAS. That way might be faster.
converse420

Post by converse420 »

Thanks for the thread, but when executing I get permission denied I'm at the limit of my Linux knowledge, so am I missing something?
converse420

Post by converse420 »

Please ignore last... Linux 101 needed to be root not su!

Thanks for your help, completion now 5 hours!

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”