Static VPN clients' IP addresses and persistent routes

ASUSTOR's VPN service brings businesses a truly effective solution.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Max36
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Static VPN clients' IP addresses and persistent routes

Post by Max36 »

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of questions, which cannot resolve by using regular http-based GUI of my Asustor AS-202TE.

I would like to connect three geographically spread networks into one virtual. For some reason it was decided to use “VPN Server” from App Central as server part of the VPN connections. PPTP protocol should be enough for my purposes. Other two devices were setup as PPTP clients.

To be clear: 192.168.0.0/24 – subnet where Asustor is located, 192.168.1.0/24 – subnetwork with VPN client A, 192.168.2.0/24 – subnet with VPN client B. 10.0.0.0/24 – subnet for VPN purposes.

1) The first question: How to deal with static IP addresses in PPTP channel. While two PPTP clients use dynamically assigned by VPN server IP addresses everything works fine. However, I would like to assign permanent IP addresses to some clients. For example, permanent 10.0.0.2 to client A and 10.0.0.3 to client B. In this case, if client B will establish VPN session before client A than the VPN server will reject connection. Because it wants to assign 10.0.0.2 to the first client.

2) The second question: How to setup persistent routes on ADM? Even if device A will establish PPTP connection successfully (getting 10.0.0.2), other devices from both networks do not see each other. Obviously, we have to setup routing correctly. If I connect to Asustor through SSH and enter “route add -net 192.168.1.0/24 gw 10.0.0.2” then it starts to see other devices in the connected network (ping 192.168.1.1). But this route is not permanent and will be lost just after Asustor reboot.

It may be important that I would not like to route Internet traffic through the VPN. So all the devices can go into Internet directly through their default gateways as usual.

Thank you for any advises.
Max

Return to “VPN Server”