Linux mint samba -> AS202TE samba

joe
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Linux mint samba -> AS202TE samba

Post by joe »

Hi all, something that used to work stopped working for some unknown reason between my linux mint 17 cinnamon based desktop machine and my AS202TE running ADM 2.2.1.R863. I used to be able to connect to my NAS samba/cifs shares from linux mint but it doesn't work any more. I can successfully connect to the NAS samba/cifs shares using my android phone and ES file explorer so I'm leaning towards this being a linux mint samba problem but I can't see what the problem might be.

In adm I've got the workgroup configured as WORKGROUP and in linux mint I've got /etc/samba/smb.conf workgroup = WORKGROUP so that appears to be ruled out as the cause.

Any ideas anyone?
joe

Re: Linux mint samba -> AS202TE samba

Post by joe »

A bit more info - this is from the CLI:

Code: Select all

joe@joes-mint-desktop ~ $ smbclient -L 192.168.0.2
Enter joe's password: 
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET
I've verified that this linux mint box can connect to shares on a windows 7 machine on the LAN so my linux mint samba side is working and given that my android phone can connect to the NAS over samba, the NAS samba is also working. The linux mint -> NAS samba fail appears to be caused by some subtle incompatibility of samba configuration somewhere.
orion

Post by orion »

Any differences between successful connection and failed connection? It happened after upgraded to ADM 2.2.1.R863?
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks for taking an interest.

Linux mint samba -> NAS samba never works but android samba -> NAS samba always does work and at the moment that's about all I can say.

The ADM 2.2.1.R863 update is a fairly recent one so that could be related and there have been some fairly hefty updates in Linux mint recently too including a cinnamon update so that's also in the frame for being the culprit.

As I said previously, my linux mint samba -> Windows 7 is working the NAS samba config is clearly working ok with Android at least so there's something subtely amiss here.

I've raised a support ticket - perhaps Asustor support may be able to run some tests with linux mint. The details on this side are:
  • Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit
  • Cinnamon V2.2.16
joe

Post by joe »

Problem found - my linux mint box IP was in the NAS network defender block list. I haven't a clue why. I removed it and linux mint samba -> NAS samba started working.

IIRC I've seen this happen once before in the past for no good reason.
joe

Post by joe »

Now I've found the problem I see that it's not just me having issues with network defender unexplainable witchcraft: http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... nder#p5613
orion

Post by orion »

joe wrote:Now I've found the problem I see that it's not just me having issues with network defender unexplainable witchcraft: http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... nder#p5613
Nice to know you solved it. That should result from several trials with different credentials to login to nas. So defender blocks the requests. You may increase the error count in defender setting to get rid of it.

Return to “[Official] For AS-20X Series”