AS-202TE - hard drives freezes for a minute

orion
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: AS-202TE - hard drives freezes for a minute

Post by orion »

BigZ12 wrote: Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

I am not that a noob, that I can't find cmd. :)
My question is; why do I have to run the net use command? (btw I tried, but got a system error 53)
I have googled some the last days, for "mapped nas drive freezes/hang in windows explorer", and tried a couple of things.
Still I get the random freezes, and as I said it affects my other devices that uses the drive on the NAS. (Popcorn Hour media player, iPhone, Smart-tv, Macbook Pro)
I just have to wait a minute when it happens before the access to the drive is back on. It's so annoying :(
The command on your PC is to map a network drive. The network connection will remain active if you don't restart your PC. It can prevent Windows re-connect to nas again when you idle for a while. So it can get rid of windows login credential issue (wait for several minutes to try different credentials).

You can post full error text here when you executed the command. I use those commands all the time and don't encounter any problems.
BigZ12

Post by BigZ12 »

It happened again, and I timed the freeze/hang; 1min 20sec. Then it was back in business.
I have now added a second credential to the NAS, with Windows user and password.
I have also deleted the mapped folders in Windows Explorer, and remapped with using the account with the same user and password as Windows 8.1. Hope this will work.
BigZ12

Post by BigZ12 »

orion wrote: The command on your PC is to map a network drive. The network connection will remain active if you don't restart your PC. It can prevent Windows re-connect to nas again when you idle for a while. So it can get rid of windows login credential issue (wait for several minutes to try different credentials).

You can post full error text here when you executed the command. I use those commands all the time and don't encounter any problems.
How will the command look like exactly with the following example:
ip-address: 192.168.1.1
user: auser
password: apass
net use * \\192.168.1.1\public /user:auser
Is that correct? What about password?
orion

Post by orion »

BigZ12 wrote: How will the command look like exactly with the following example:
ip-address: 192.168.1.1
user: auser
password: apass
net use * \\192.168.1.1\public /user:auser
Is that correct? What about password?
It should normally prompt you to enter password if there are no other connection to nas before. You'd better to execute "net use /d *" to clear the old connections. Windows can only allow ONE user to connect to A network device. You can check if there are existed connections from your PC: ADM web page -> System Information -> Online User.
You can see the on-line help by "net use /?". If you want to specify password in command line, try this:

net use /d *
net use * \\192.168.1.1\public apass /user:auser
Flo-TLSC

Post by Flo-TLSC »

in Explorer, right click on the network folder, select properties, customize, under "optimize this folder for:", select either General items, or documents. Set check box "Also apply this template to all subfolders", then click apply.
....." I know more and more about less and less, until I know everything about nothing".....
BigZ12

Post by BigZ12 »

Flo-TLSC wrote:in Explorer, right click on the network folder, select properties, customize, under "optimize this folder for:", select either General items, or documents. Set check box "Also apply this template to all subfolders", then click apply.
Hi there,
Why should this help with the freezing? Do you have any experiences with this working?
BigZ12

Post by BigZ12 »

I managed to f... up my Windows user account, and since it's been a long time since I reinstalled Windows i figure I'd do just that.

So now, with a fresh copy of Win8.1 and without using a Microsoft account (I just use a local account with no password), my problem with hangs/freezes look better.

But...everytime I restart the computer, I get the message "Could not reconnect all network drives" in the system tray. There's a red X over the mapped folders, but when I click on them they are fully connected and opens fast.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Don't worry about that - it's normal and has existed ever since Windows 7. Whenever you have a connection to a network share unprotected by a password, Windows decides that this is an error condition and says that the connection has failed when it hasn't. I'd have thought Micro$oft would have sorted that one for Windows 8 but hey - this is Micro$oft after all and this problem pales into insignificance compared to the many more fundamental problems Windows 8.x suffers from.

By the way, I'm experiencing precisely the same problem as you - see my thread in the 3 series forum. I haven't found an answer either and it's driving me mad.
AS-302T c/w 2 x 1TB WD Red HDDS running RAID1
BigZ12

Post by BigZ12 »

Gromit wrote:Don't worry about that - it's normal and has existed ever since Windows 7. Whenever you have a connection to a network share unprotected by a password, Windows decides that this is an error condition and says that the connection has failed when it hasn't. I'd have thought Micro$oft would have sorted that one for Windows 8 but hey - this is Micro$oft after all and this problem pales into insignificance compared to the many more fundamental problems Windows 8.x suffers from.

By the way, I'm experiencing precisely the same problem as you - see my thread in the 3 series forum. I haven't found an answer either and it's driving me mad.
Sad to hear you suffering from the same annoying problem :(

I'm on my second day with a fresh install of Win8.1 and using a local account with no password. No freeze yet.
I guess it's not related, but I had a 15 sec hang when accessing the NAS from my Popcorn Hour the first time I used it after the Win8.1 installation. After that everything was fast and smooth.
Tuscck

Post by Tuscck »

Using the freeware Freecommander XE, instead of windows explorer, seems to solve most of my freezing problems.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... anager.htm

Return to “[Official] For AS-20X Series”