uTorrent -vs- Transmission

zakspop
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

uTorrent -vs- Transmission

Post by zakspop »

I see that Transmission has been added in app Central. Any opinions as to which is better?
basketballmail2

Re: uTorrent -vs- Transmission

Post by basketballmail2 »

I think that's probably more of a personal preference, unless one or the other has features the other lacks. I have never looked at Transmission so I can't really say. Just pick the one that appeals more to you or that has the feature you want :) That is my opinion :)
AS-606T: 3x WD 4.0TB RED RAID 5
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

Ok, so I created the uTorrent app, so I'm biased right? ;)

Really, there are some issues with uTorrent.
1. There have been issues with settings not saving (hopefully fixed in next update)
2. The webui hangs on IE11 (do yourself a favour... Don't EVER use IE ;) )
3. Many private trackers reject "utserver" since it is still officially beta. (Nothing I can do for this)

But other than those, for most torrent downloads it works fine, it is easy to configure via webui and works with CouchPotato and SickBeard etc.

With Transmission, I haven't tested it extensively on Asustor yet (but have used it previously), so I'm not sure what bugs, if any, may need ironing out...
I am sure Transmission is better if you use private trackers. But I can say from a quick look that if you want to use PostProcessing scripts, or change your web login security etc, you cannot do this via webui and you need to ssh in and edit the settings.json.
(I.e, initial setup is not a user friendly)...

Now, on other NAS systems, I have seen that it is possible to create a web front end that allows editing of the json data etc... So this may be a future enhancement that could be made some day...

As it is Transmission can also be used with CouchPotato and SickBeard etc.

Anyway... I hope that was an unbiased assessment of the two downloaders :)
AS-604T
3 x ST4000DM0000 (Seagate 4TB) in Raid5
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)
NZBGet - CouchPotato - SickBeard - Git - Python

Apps (maintainer):
NZBGet - BitTorrent Sync - Mylar - LazyLibrarian - Gamez
-Maintenance of Apps acquired from JohhnyFive since ADM2.0:
SABnzbd - CouchPotato - SickBeard - HeadPhones - Subsonic

About Me: http://fockwulf.wix.com/index
zakspop

Post by zakspop »

Thanks guys. I guess I'll stick with uTorrent for now. I hope after a little time has passed people who have used both can give their opinion. In the end they both do the same thing and get you the same results.
rimmerbsc

Post by rimmerbsc »

I like transmission, on my old nas (Netgear Readynas) i used Transmission, its great because you can get android and windows apps to remotely connect to the client, easier to start torrents when away from home, this is defo being installed tonight when i get home, been looking forward to using this on my new as604-T.

cheers
ho66es

Post by ho66es »

rimmerbsc wrote:I like transmission, on my old nas (Netgear Readynas) i used Transmission, its great because you can get android and windows apps to remotely connect to the client, easier to start torrents when away from home, this is defo being installed tonight when i get home, been looking forward to using this on my new as604-T.

cheers
so why not just use those clients with the transmission daemon that is already installed but just called download centre? I prefer transmission but see no reason to install anymore software than I have too (less to go wrong).
608t
zakspop

Post by zakspop »

I wonder which of the 3 is the most efficient as far as CPU and memory use. Which is the lightest.
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

zakspop wrote:I wonder which of the 3 is the most efficient as far as CPU and memory use. Which is the lightest.
Sounds like a great experiment. Please let us know the outcome :P
AS-604T
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)

Apps (maintainer):

liefde

Post by liefde »

http://qbittorrent.org is much better for this NAS..

Transmission has no TLS/SSL so is a security risk. And by the way, I could not get it to even work with user authentication.
µTorrent is not reliable, it even erased .torrent files on my 604T without me asking it to do so. (!? what coder implements things like that anyway??)
Download Center clearly misses a lot of configuration options.
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

Well the issue with .torrents not being saved appears to be a bug in the actual uTorrent binary (which is not open source).

I am working with a few other people to try and find ways to resolve this (because the same app actually does work for me).

So I look forward to seeing your qbittorrent App. Clearly you are the expert and your App is going to be perfect. I can't wait to see how such a brilliant professional like yourself goes making this perfect App and puts the rest of us coders/developers to shame.

Oh yeah... And no ssl is a security issue? You do know what the Torrent network is right? How is any layer of encryption NOT a security issue on a PTP network?
AS-604T
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)

Apps (maintainer):

Return to “uTorrent”