Upgrade to 1.10.1.4602

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Pokerness
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Upgrade to 1.10.1.4602

Post by Pokerness »

Hi,

I would like to benefit to new Plex Collections Feature available in 1.10.1.4602 version. Is it safe to install it manually ?

Thanks for your help!
NAS Asustor AS6204-T
2x DD WD RED 3to RAID 1
1x DD WD RED 3to My Archive

Windows 10
IPAD 2017
father.mande

Re: Upgrade to 1.10.1.4602

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Pokerness wrote:Hi,
I would like to benefit to new Plex Collections Feature available in 1.10.1.4602 version. Is it safe to install it manually ?
Thanks for your help!
Short : YES
Long : as I know Plex Server is build by Plex.tv team NOT by Asustor (same for other NAS brand) ... a delay is added ... suppose it's for more validation ... or just due to administrative works ??? ...
... the worst case ... uninstall new version (after saving your settings to don't have to rebuild the libraries) reinstall the previous one
... The full settings are in /volume1/Plex/Library ... so save it (tar, zip, etc.) before install and use it as backup if you want to uninstall and return to previous version ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

With only one resounding exception, (The AS100x series) any Plex download has been perfectly safe to install from the Plex download pages, install and run on your NAS.

I update from their pages as soon as they release new versions. Since I'm running a Plex Pass, I am always running the Plex Pass versions, and not the publicly released versions. This means I'm running 1.11.0.4666.

Collections are getting there, but it also takes the Web App to make it work right. And that requires Web App version 3.32.xx, which isn't in the versions of Plex Media Server installed locally. So to use (and access) collections you need to access your NAS through https://apps.plex.tv to get the full benefits of this feature. The upside is, you can start setting this feature up, so when it is finally released for local use, you get the bang for the buck it's intended to have.

There are some other issues with this feature, that the Plex Team is working on. The first is the alpha quick pick isn't working right when you have it set up to hide the movies in a collection. The next thing is, if you use sharing tags (a Plex Pass feature) those tags are no longer respected for members of a collection. So those movies with the tags can't be seen in the list of movies by the person who has that tag set for them to access. (Obviously these two things are make or break things for some people.) The Team is aware of both of these issues and supposedly are working on resolutions for them.

I went from 2800 or so movies to about 2500 with over 70 of those being collections. Finally, all of the Harry Potter movies taking a single spot in the main Movies listings. Finally all of the James Bond movies being in one icon, easily found and able to be watched by release date. BUT, keep in mind, you need to use Plex's web app, and not the one installed on your machine.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi MikeG ... always impress by your good knowledge of Plex ...

Just a remark, I think it's : https://app.plex.tv/ without ( s ) just a typo ...

Philippe.
Pokerness

Post by Pokerness »

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I am not a Plex Pass user. So I can't access to release 1.11.0.4666.

With the 1.10.1.4602 release, and accessing to NAS through https://app.plex.tv, I can set the collection tag, but I can't view the Library “By Collection” and in Edit Library/Advanced setting there is no collection option. Thus I can't have the Collections Preplay.

Are these features only available for Plex Pass users ?
NAS Asustor AS6204-T
2x DD WD RED 3to RAID 1

Windows 10
IPAD 2017
Pokerness

Post by Pokerness »

Hi,

I have got the response on Plex Forum: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/30344 ... ns-missing
To get this feature, you must be using:

the 'hosted' web app, not the 'local' one https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288 ... x-web-app/
the latest beta version of the server, which is only available to Plex Pass holders, atm. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comme ... nt_1583219
Have you an idea when we could have this release for non Plex Pass holder ?
NAS Asustor AS6204-T
2x DD WD RED 3to RAID 1

Windows 10
IPAD 2017
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Have you an idea when we could have this release for non Plex Pass holder ?
No just wait ... Plex.tv team is "the master of time" ... Plex (as other) justify the extra cost (PlexPass) by specific versions and services others to persons paying for ... as I know they don't provide a calendar for this ...

Philippe.
Pokerness

Post by Pokerness »

Ok, I have to be patient... or to pay...

I precise my need : I would like to digitalize my DVD - Blu-ray library, not only the movie but with all the bonuses.

As PLEX can't read iso file, I have the idea to convert iso in MKV movies (using MAKEMKV), then to use a collection to link together the movie and its bonuses. By this way I need to create one collection tag per DVD title. That is why I need viewing the library “By Collection”.

An other approach is to use an external player; I saw on net some threads on that point.
But does it really work, even within a remote access of media server, controlling the menu of interface and streaming each part of the iso file ?

In addition, the operation seems not to be so easy... But even if it is the case, it is a single operation rather than a huge number of conversions (more than 1500 DVD!).

Any advice about implementing an external player?
NAS Asustor AS6204-T
2x DD WD RED 3to RAID 1

Windows 10
IPAD 2017
Pokerness

Post by Pokerness »

Hi !

No more comment about external player for Plex (!?). So I opened a new topic viewtopic.php?f=67&t=9448
NAS Asustor AS6204-T
2x DD WD RED 3to RAID 1

Windows 10
IPAD 2017
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Not sure why you would want to use an external player at all. Plex has features built into the client apps that aren't going to be available in 3rd party apps. Things such as collection support, for instance?

The client apps are generally free, unless they are mobile apps/devices. For instance, the Android phone/tablet app costs you a one time $5 fee, but are free if you are using something like a Roku or Shield TV device.

And all of the apps are free if you have a Plex Pass.

Return to “Plex”