Plex not starting at all

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Drapan
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Plex not starting at all

Post by Drapan »

Hi,

I've just got a AS1002T the other day and I'm trying to get Plex to work. It does not seem to start at all. Opening the plex media server shortcut in the 'dashboard' simply redirects to localip:32400/web where it says site can't be reached. From what I can tell (somewhat linux illiterate..), the service is not running. I've used WinSCP to get the log file (at /volume1/Plex/Library/Plex Media Server/Logs) but Plex folder is completely empty. I'm guessing it hasn't successfully run once and generated any files? I've tried editing the start-stop.sh file to include an initial sleep command but it doesn't make any difference.

I've also tried to factory reset it but it still doesn't work. I'm on ADM 2.60.R4R1 and I've tried to download and install from plex.tv (0.9.16.6.1993-5089475_arm) and the one from App Central (0.9.15.3.1674-f46e7e6) but neither works (even with fresh factory reset).

Everything else on the device seem to be working, and haven't had any issues with any of the other apps I've tried.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix it?
MikeG.6.5

Re: Plex not starting at all

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Yes, I have a few. Use the one you downloaded from plex.tv, don't use the App Central version. So you are going to manually install it in App Central, as opposed to trying to install from the apps section. Then, if this has NEVER started the odds are pretty huge that you may need to edit the start-stop.sh file. This file can be found here: /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/plexmediaserver/CONTROL/start-stop.sh You can get to it via WinSCP, and just d-click it to open it. Then you are going to scroll down a little ways until you find the section that reads this:

Code: Select all

do_start() {
    check_asdir()
    ulimit -s $PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE
    (cd $PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_ROOT ; sleep 3 ; ./Plex\ Media\ Server &)
    return 0
}
You are going to want to put in the line that says sleep 5 (you can up this value if needed. Start at 5 seconds and work up in 2-3 second intervals.) so it reads like this:

Code: Select all

do_start() {
    sleep 5
    check_asdir()
    ulimit -s $PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE
    (cd $PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_ROOT ; sleep 3 ; ./Plex\ Media\ Server &)
    return 0
}
(Hate that we can't BOLD text in the code fields! When making changes to code bolding or high lighting the changes can be important! I had to post the same thing twice to show what needed to be edited!)

Then you want to start Plex Media Server by the App Central switch, to first stop it, then get a beverage of choice, then start it, and then drink your beverage of choice. Then try to log into Plex Media Server's Web App as you have tried before. (http://local.NAS.ip.here:32400/web) Let me know how it goes, if you still have problems there aren't many other things to try, other than upping the sleep timer...
Drapan

Post by Drapan »

Hi, thanks for the reply!

As mentioned I've tried the sleep thing previously but it didn't work. Tried it again now with your tip to increase it. I put it to 25, 60 and now lastly 120 and it doesn't make any difference. Is there a way to get a log somehow of what's happening (other than the logfile it's not creating..)? I'm thinking if it's possible to somehow get it to spit out an error somewhere, I'd atleast know what's wrong. Unless of course, the version of ADM and/or Plex is broken and unfixable from a user standpoint.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Yes, you can try running the start-stop.sh in the terminal window. So you open WinSCP, go to the folder the start-stop is located, and r-click > file > Copy Path to Clipboard. Then open Terminal and past that into the line provided. You should see any errors listed there. Copy and paste that and let me see what it says...
Drapan

Post by Drapan »

Doing ./start-stop.sh doesn't do anything (I'm guessing because start is a method?), "./start-stop.sh start" does however do something, it seems to be loading for a bit before returning, there's however no error or indication of it doing anything (except the loading). And it still doesn't work.

After putting echo "Foo" in do_start, it prints the message. So it's definitely running it (with start-stop.sh start), but doesn't seem to actually start the server.

Ideas?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

After you ran this (Sorry I forgot to tell you to put the switch for starting it in) did any log files get created?

What do they say, if so?
Drapan

Post by Drapan »

The /volume1/Plex/ folder is still empty, unless there's log files placed somewhere else?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I want you to try doing is this:

Remove Plex Media Server from App Central completely.

Go into WinSCP and make sure that the /Plex and the /App Central/PlexMediaServer folders are both gone, and that there is nothing residual from previous attempts.

Install the App Central version. While it's installing open Activity Monitor and go to Process and you should see if/when Plex starts up there.

DON'T try going to it yet. I want you to try to see if the app is actually running by opening a terminal window in WinSCP and do this command ps -e and then scroll through to see if there is a line that reads ./Plex Media Server listed as a running app.

If so, then I want you to open your browser to the Plex Web App by typing in the following in a browser line. http://your.local.IP.here:32400/web You are going to need to edit it for your own IP. DON'T just click the link in the ADM. That link sometimes doesn't work.

If not, then turn Plex Media Server off in App Central and then open a PuTTY window and try starting it via the start-top.sh (with a start afterwards. so sorry about that!) and see if there are any errors displayed in PuTTY. (You may need to install PuTTY too, as it's not part of the install for WinSCP by default...) :(

This should gives us a bit more information. Also what apps do you have running on your NAS right now? There may be a conflict with one or more, although I haven't had issues with any so far.
Drapan

Post by Drapan »

I did another factory reset to make sure I have a completely clean slate. The only thing I've done prior to installing plex is turning on the terminal in settings.

After it was downloaded I saw Plex in the activity monitor for a split second, before disappearing. It is nowhere to be found using ps -e.

After doing start-stop.sh start, it loads for a bit then returns (no messages or errors). I happen to have the web interface open as well and I saw Plex in the activity monitor for a split second before disappearing (just as when installing). The /volume1/Plex folder is still empty, as well.

I've seen alot of threads with issues regarding ADM 2.5 and Plex. Is stuff simply broken further in 2.6 and current Plex versions?
MikeG.6.5

Problem with the 100X series running Plex

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I just did a TeamVeiwer session with a guy from France with a 1002T model, and we had 3 different versions of Plex, and weren't able to get any of them working with his NAS and ADM 2.6.0, either. We saw exactly the same thing you did. Plex would flash on and off again and then nothing afterwards.

SO, I advised him to create a ticket and make known that he had 0.9.15.3, 0.9.16.4 and 0.9.16.6 all failing when he tried installing them.

This seems to be a problem with 2.6.0.R4R1 version of the ADM and not a problem with Plex itself. And only with the 100x series of NASes. Other models seem to be working fine with 2.6.0.R4R1, at least from what I've seen/heard. (My 7004T is eating it alive, right now. 400 days is a STRANGE movie!)

So I'm going to advise you to do the same thing. Make a ticket, telling them exactly which versions you have tried installing, and the indications you see when you try starting them. Advise them that there are others with the same issue with that model and that Asustor needs to take a hard look at the base line OS code to see what the fix is. This is a problem within the OS as previous version of the OS worked fine.

In the mean time, ask them for the link to download the 2.5.4 version and try to get Plex running with that.

Sorry, it's the best I can do for you. When Asustor breaks things, they sure seem to do it in a big way... :(

Return to “Plex”