Plex Media Server on your NAS.

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

osten4
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Plex Media Server on your NAS.

Post by osten4 »

hey MikeG.6.5 ty for a great post!
i have a problem with my nas sometimes gives me "get directory failed" and fails to even open a show/movie and it hangs for like 20 seconds.. is it because of transcoding problems?..
another problem i i have begun to see is some shows starts to freeze up in the middle off playing them.. i am on a wired connection useing a top end router.

any suggestions?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Get Directory fails are usually indications that for some reason the device you are playing on sees the server as disconnected.

This could be because you had uPnP enabled on the router? Instead of static IP and Port Forwards as I suggest in the previous posts....

What model of NAs are yo using? What is the movie or show bitrate, container and codecs used to encode it? What bitrates can your client app support, and what codecs can it Direct Play?

Plex is all about the Clients Apps. If the app can Direct Play the bitrate and codecs, then the server will try to send the file as it sits on your disk. BUT, if either of them aren't Direct Playable, then Plex needs to transcode. And if your NAS can't handle transcodes, it's going to give you some buffering or hitches in the stream... (small pauses.)

Until VERY recently, we, as admins, had NO control over how the client used the server's resources or bandwidth. This is now starting to change, slowly.

One way to try resolving your problem is to try optimize media to say 4Mbps on a know problem file. And then you select the optimized version to play. If that works for you, then up the version to 6Mbps, then 8Mbps, then 10, 12, etc. Until you find the limits of the device you are playing on most of the time. This will tell you what THAT device is capable of!

Keep in mind optimizing a file COULD take you a while to do....
fournexus

Post by fournexus »

Great posts, but I am currently using an AS6102T with ADM 3.0. Using winscp, I do not see " /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/plexmediaserver/CONTROL." To the best of your knowledge, do you know if they have change the directories in the new ADM?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

On my 7004T that is the correct path. You are going to have to do a bit of hunting around with WinSCP to find the path. I don't have that model and can only make a guess without one to test on.
fournexus

Post by fournexus »

I have attached a screen shot of my efforts. Image
https://1drv.ms/i/s!At2oTquH3XMBgco6JqdFKxlxU2PAyQ
orion

Post by orion »

fournexus wrote:I have attached a screen shot of my efforts. Image
https://1drv.ms/i/s!At2oTquH3XMBgco6JqdFKxlxU2PAyQ
That's caused by the folder settings under Windows not showing hidden files / folders. You can go to "/usr/local/AppCentral/" instead.

Return to “Plex”