My New AS6604T arrives next Week!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.
AndyM
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

My New AS6604T arrives next Week!

Post by AndyM »

And given this is the first NAS I have ever owned I suspect I will be pestering folks for a lot of advice. But I am excited.
I am building a video library and ran out of room, so hopefully that will no longer be an issue. Which leads to my first question - I am looking at drives and noted some are formatted differently than others (ie 512e/4kn). Any advice appreciated.
Andy
cristakke

Re: My New AS6604T arrives next Week!

Post by cristakke »

Hi,
Work perfect for me and I hope you'll have the same felling when you power on.
Now I'm looking after some memory update and some Nmve compatibility.... still searching
Right now are not some many owners to share impressions.
Also I'm looking forward for some Antimalware, because Claim AV is outdated ...
The new ADM is moving fast even with 4 gb memory.
Cheers
Cristake
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I ended up with a couple of 10 tb Seagate NAS drives that I think are pretty conventional - not really sure of the the format details but I just powered them up today (was waiting for the cache NVMEs to show up). Everything is working so I am pretty happy about that - now I need how to figure out how I can make that HDMI out play movies...
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

I don't try but you can make this
1. open ASUS PORTAL
2.Look what apps are there ... and if you have some video player ... It's done
or
Try to install PLEX and figure out if after installation you have some settings for HDMI out or you will find PLEX app on ASUS PORTAL ... sure will be there
What I understood ... ASUS PORTAL is the gate to HSMI out apps ...

https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ic=135#a11

enjoy
cristake
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Thanks for the info. I made a little progress last night. Got a video from the pc wirelessly as an experiment (will plug a drive in at some point to move the library) and saw the file in the File manager. Wouldn't play video (audio only) until I converted it. That's a bit of a mystery as it was created as a universal mp4 file so something I need to figure out there. I did have a look at the "Looks Good" app but it was asking questions on ports I don't know how to answer yet.

Good news was I plugged in the HDMI cable to a dumb TV and it lit up with the Portal and did play the movie using file manager. I am sure there is a better way - just need to get my knowledge level up. All leads appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

For video playback I recommend always wired connection...
For 4K video you don't have any chance to play smooth on wirelessly connection, trust me ... maybe on 5G ...
Even wired 4k video with very high bitrate on very crowded network and multiple connection on NAS, the playback will be chunky ...
If you do not have such video demands (4k,UHD,PRO raw files ) and your aim is lower resolution 1080p, with light work on network, wireless could be a solution.
Cheers
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Made some good progress - until this morning. Got all the library loaded overnight. Found that Firefox has a VLC addin with I tested on my PC and it played fine. Tried to load the addin to the NAS version of Firefox and all went haywire. (Frozen screens, script in little boxes only a true techy would understand...) Tried to do an update to no avail so I am stuck here for now. Have connected the hdmi out on the NAS to the screen so I am using a wired connection and it seems to work just great. Now to try and figure out what's going on with firefox...
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

The best app ever for movies / tv shows and live Tv on NAS is Plex.
I used a lot on PC direct streaming via ethernet network on Smart TV and work smooth even on most demanded video files 4K uhd / bitrate 50-60mbs.
With Plex installed on NAS will work more then direct to all devices on the house, with multiple access and transcode if it's necessary ....
Avoid complications with third apps and plugins via web browsing and another stuff.
I installed also mini DLNA and UPNP 1 and 2 and access all video / audio files from NAS with devices who know this path and protocol , TV included / bluray player / Sony Ps4 / smartphones and others.
Good Luck
Cke
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I will give Plex a look. I tried it long ago (pre NAS) and just never got hooked. I will have a closer look. Thanks for the direction - things had been going pretty good up to this point so maybe that will get me back on track.

Cheers
Andy
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Plex is free to use for direct streaming.
For transcoding is 5 USD per month.
I know could be pain in the a.. but know is a very good app for those things.
For me is only one solution for movies with separate subtitles. My smart tv don see those.
One free and good solution for free transcoding if you want to use plex is Nvidia shield but it is another story.
Keep trying and come back with feedback.
Good luck
C

Return to “Meet and Greet”